Does Anyone Rewind Ignition Coils?

DB26

Skip Haney in Florida has put modern ' guts' in two original coils for me for my 1922 Marmon.  I might suggest you contact him and see if he can help you.  i believe his site is www.fordcollector.com.

Edited by Akstraw (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DB26 said:

Thank you guys, I will contact both parties. 

Try skiphaneyfl@aol.com or call him at 941-505-9085.  He's not an internt or email guy.   ($75 + $15 shipping for Ford V8 coils)

He's been doing mine for 15 years, never had one fail.

• Thanks 1

It’s getting very difficult to find people to wind coils now...........I called five people last year, all died or retired in their 80’s. Sent ours overseas, and was disappointed with the result. 

It's not really very hard, so I'm surprised, but then I guess the market is pretty small. Hand winding coils of various designs is pretty easy. You just need the size (gauge) of the wire they originally used. Unwind the two sides counting the number of turns. There will probably be a large size wire on the primary and very small on the secondary. They probably soldered the wires to the connection points. After that it's just potting the whole thing back into the housing.

I know that's intimidating for someone who hasn't done this type of work for 40 years, but the information is available online to help you. It's just time. But nothing wrong with sending it to someone you trust either.

To get the thing apart use Nitromethane to dissolve the potting compound. For something that old, it's probably varnish like GE Varnish. We still use that for coils where I work all the time.

Edited by lostviking
Added about removing potting. (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lostviking said:

It's not really very hard, so I'm surprised, but then I guess the market is pretty small. Hand winding coils of various designs is pretty easy. You just need the size (gauge) of the wire they originally used. Unwind the two sides counting the number of turns. There will probably be a large size wire on the primary and very small on the secondary. They probably soldered the wires to the connection points. After that it's just potting the whole thing back into the housing.

I know that's intimidating for someone who hasn't done this type of work for 40 years, but the information is available online to help you. It's just time. But nothing wrong with sending it to someone you trust either.

To get the thing apart use Nitromethane to dissolve the potting compound. For something that old, it's probably varnish like GE Varnish. We still use that for coils where I work all the time.

I was thinking about maybe trying to tackle it myself. Especially if I send it to someone who would put modern guts in it. If I screw up, it wouldnt matter too much.  

• 3 years later...