Stationary engines

stakeside

Recently acquired two stationary engine. Found out why they are called stationary. The 1 1/2 horse engine in weights 300 lbs.

These engine will be a get period correct payloads for my 1929 truck. Also they will provide more shop time since my truck is nearly completed.

D64F70F4-ADBD-4AFB-BA67-8F3019680F80.thumb.jpeg.f6e588f3729c0c3ff9dfcd8c898dfd5f.jpeg

This is a 1 1/2 HP SATTLEY engine that was sold thru “monkey wards” or Montgomery Wards. Not sure of the year.

8423EE62-7C9B-46E3-AB87-D45454DF80A6.thumb.jpeg.5609ef7d422c9fca7ae9346a64a56fc0.jpeg

The other engine is a 1935 model 2 3/4 HP Stover.

These engines were a big part of the industry to to build these old trucks and cars.

Any suggestions on possible forums that I can use would be appreciated.

”Yesterday Tractor” ( https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=station&th=13677)  web site has a forum that I joined but I have not got any response to my inquiry on the engine.

• Like 2

Haven't been in yesterdays tractors (ytmag.com) for some time; their stationary forum was minor, but am surprised no replies as remewmber thwm as very helpful/sypathitic...

Can heartily recommend smokstak forum for your engines; give them a try...engine history, advice, parts, sympathy, as the case may be...

Maybe the folks at the Antique Gas and Steam Engine Museum in Vista, CA can provide you with some help.

Last time I was there they had at least half a dozen of these hit-and-miss engines chugging away.

They have an entire row of these stationary engines on display along with plenty of other neat things.

http://www.agsem.com/

Best use I have seen for one of these engines is as an ice cream making power plant.  They put all the ingredients in a stainless pot, put the top with a paddle attached and started the engine up.  People who had seen it before knew that when the engine stopped it was time for ice cream.

• Like 1

That exposed crank machine looks interesting.

The SMOKESTAK, (no C), forum is a good starting point for info on these engines. There are many active clubs in  Australia, with up to a dozen engines running at one time at the agricultural fairs. I attended an Australia wide get-together here in Tasmania, and realised that much of the machinery that I use  daily is 'collectable'!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Do not want o hijack this thread but if anyone comes across one of the small Olds stationary engines I am interested.  

Not quite what you're looking for and not presently for sale,but thought you might like to see this "stationary" Olds engine.It is a 1903 curved dash engine modified back in the day to stationary format with twin flywheels,a pulley, and a special base to make it a vertical engine. Haven't had it running yet.

Jim

1903 Olds ready to run 003.JPG