Moved some CarterCars today....

keiser31

These two are all original, also. One was in a museum and the other was on a farm in a barn when Bill found them. One of his relatives sold CarterCars around the country.

There are a handful of them around.......not too many people drive them due to issues with the friction drive......I’m told that properly set up, they are “a fun little car” according to one owner.

There are at least 50 Cartercars still around (not all in running condition though).   The three cars above are all really nice examples.    It must be a big year for Cartercars - at least 6 have already been sold this year and at least 2 others will be offered for sale/auction later this year.

• 2 months later...

I have a friction drive car, although it is a Metz, not a Cartercar.  I have not been able to spend much time with it lately, but it is my desire to drive it often in an effort to disprove the fiction that Friction Drive is no good, not dependable, and generally unsuitable for touring.  

Metz won the 1913 Glidden tour. Someone toured one down through the Grand Canyon. The Metz company offered a $1000 reward to anyone showing a hill which a Metz car could not climb.

They CAN'T be as miserable as so many people claim.   

Metz-22.jpg

Looking at the images ...

Chains ? - Not a good idea to secure an antique vehicle in an enclosed trailer.

Almost no clearance between the vehicle on the upper deck and the roof of the trailer - vehicles bounce and sway in transit.

Jim