1938 Plymouth Sedan

The foot starter and gas pedal were not feeling that great. A bit sloppy feeling, not a great return rate, and not great feedback. So I found some springs in my spare parts stash and came up with this. I lubed up all linkage and put a dab of wheel bearing grease on connections and pivots. Much, much better feel and return. Giddy with the results when I started it up after the initial install.

Springs.jpeg

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)
  • Like 7

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 8:13 AM, Carolina Chevrolet said:

I can see me making one of those tools in the very near future, like either this evening or tomorrow. I've been looking at the MT-19-C  tool and they are expensive.  I just replaced the wheel cylinders on my '37 and need to fine tune my shoes. 

That looks like a really simple tool to make - I'm with Carolina - off to the shop we go!

Hi Keith, I've just caught up with your updates -- looks like it's going great!

Since I'm in the middle of doing the transmission on my '41 Buick, I can't get over how much easier the access on your Plymouth is (as I've mentioned before).  The gearbox and clutch on my Buick are quite similar, but there's quite a contrast between crawling around under my car and just sitting inside and having everything laid out in front of you as it is with the Plymouth.  The shot using the guide pins and a block of wood to jack up the rear of the engine is a good example of the difference.  Here's what I had to do to accomplish the same thing with the Buick -- home-made screw jacks to support the back of the bell housing.

screw_jacks.thumb.jpg.dce8e59813850a90704777989a958a2e.jpg

• Like 3

As promised here are a few photos of my fabricated concentric brake measuring tool.  Be sure to leave the rod long enough, and enough threads for 10” and 12” Lockheed brakes. Both sizes are used on old Mopars.  This tool will allow you to set the shoes up, precisely concentric to the centre of the axle or spindle. Often referred to as a “Major Adjustment” in old Mopar service manuals. I have achieved very good results with it. 

264B3794-8BAF-481E-A7D3-E579700A4211.jpeg

9F02C104-EEFE-4CE2-B313-C1AF18D79387.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Axles and diff out tonight. Easy-peasy and quick. Love the simplicity of this car. 

Thought I better go thru and check the diff out.  No bad symptoms. Feels tight. No slop. Bearing life unknown. I guess I’ll just clean everything up and check gear contact pattern. I better do some reading and learn all about these. As of this writing I feel the need to learn more before I dive in. Perhaps I should go ahead and re-bearing it? I’m in this far anyway. 

1892B2F1-91A6-42D1-822B-D100EF08E73D.jpeg

Degreased everything and has a good look at the gears. They look great for 82 yr old gears. Crown to pinion gear backlash measured up at .007”. Spec is .006 to .010”. So it’ll go back in as it is. No noise. No complaints. Looks and feels great. I’ll install a new pinion seal once it’s bolted back up in place and the axles are in place. 

E71903BD-129C-443E-8C23-1601DBB5F571.jpeg

0F8CC91B-E93A-45D6-B830-EAB254E68ACE.jpeg

• Like 4

Hi @Black beauty. Our cars are very close. I am not sure where to get some exact wheel rims from. I have not had to buy any. Facebook vintage Mopar groups are very active, you may find some there. I can post on your behalf if you like.  My stock tires are 6.00-16 do you want the same, stock size?  My rims are original. I found the 11-37 date code stamped on them when the paint was blasted off.

I am glad to hear my thread may have inspired you somewhat. I have little stall-outs too. I get too busy with other things demanding my time. I find when I get back in the garage I am renewed each time. I'm reminded that it's find and rewarding.I really enjoy the longer day-light evenings that are warm. Working out there with the garage doors open. This perfect time it just around the corner here now. 

Keith

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Totally unrelated....This is the car that pulls my away from '38 Ply project. A pic from today is below. It also inspires me to stay motivated on my 1938 revival... (It's my thread, I can hy-jack it right?)

My other vintage car, a 1953 Chrysler. It was my first vintage car. It bit me and gave me the bug for old Mopars. Once I figured it mostly out, I needed another car. A project. Something to work on, while my '53 remained ready to take out for cruises and shows when I wanted. I had built up a support network for my '53. The '38 is not a whole lot different. So I bought the '38 Plymouth and dove in. I've been loving every minute of it.

Progress update on the '38: All the brakes have been rebuilt. Wheel cylinder and master cylinder rebuilt.  I made all new brake lines. New hose flex lines. 1 last steel line to be built tomorrow. Followed by bleeding. The diff is re-installed. All new axle bearings and seals. Foot pedals assemblies are out tonight. They need a good degreasing and clean up, adjustment and re-installation. Rims painted. New tires installed.  I plan to change the diff pinion seal next , then maybe it's test drive time again. I want to test all my brake and drive line work. Perhaps I'll put the front seat back in and perform a proper test drive. 

IMG_5842.jpg

• Like 6

Big progress today. The ‘38 is testing well. Time to get serious and get out of the driveway for extensive testing. 

All rebuilt brake system feels great. Stops well. New tires. Time for an oil change and a valve set. 

2D0D33F3-8E39-463E-B7F9-8AFACEF9F84B.jpeg

4E37FFB5-3FF2-4F51-8EE7-FC2D44BDF06F.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

Video was great! Love that ‘53 also.......next week I am going to look at a ‘49 Windsor f/s near me. 

Good car the '49 Windsor. Likely has the 251 ci engine in it. Have you owned any early Chrysler Corp cars before?

I tested the heater and it works! It blows nice hot air. I installed a simple 10A on/off switch with a 7.5A in line fuse. Momma likes that. 

I reinstalled the front seat today. I really wanted a safe test drive. Sitiing on a milk crate is very sketchy. I do not recommend.  Seat has been out since October. Looks and feels so nice!  I made Momma jump in and enjoy her efforts. She reupholstered the seat. We went for a brief cruise around the block.  Big smiles all around.

Part of me is shocked how very much improved the car is, compared when I bought it last May. 

I will forge on!

661B0188-F95A-4FC8-BD3D-850CB3278388.jpeg

E9179994-CEC8-4CC4-A786-865C953B280A.jpeg

• Like 6

Very nice collection Keith!

They look great sitting side by side.

I also like catching sight of your two snowmobiles at the fence. I'm guessing living so close in the Canadian Rockies you have lots of options to go and use them during the winter.

Here in Southern Ontario weather patterns have changed so much that I stopped using my 4500 SkiDoo as it was a three hour drive just to get to any trails that had snow, plus trail permits, motel, meals etc...

With such a short season, I'm happier to put the money into the cars but... miss the fun rides in the snow.

Hi Dei, thanks for checking in. I do indeed enjoy my old cars very much. I find the work stimulating, addictive and very rewarding.

Those to units int he corner against the fence are personal watercraft. One is a Bombardier Seadoo, the other A Yamaha GP800. We used them a fair bit over the years. As our sons grew up and their own lives started to develop, we have been using them less. I am thinking about selling them. We'll see what this summer brings.  These PWCs also require maintenance and repairs as you can imagine. I rebuilt the engine in the Yamaha a couple years ago. 

I have been snowmobiling in the mountains here. It is extreme and fun. However I never did buy snowmobiles. I chose to stay out of that hobby. I never thought it was too family friendly when my sons were young.  Additionally, like you said, load up skidoos, drive, ride, drive home.  It adds up to a lot of time and money. The Seadoos get dropped in the river 5 minutes away. They have a ton less moving parts so maintenance is less in my experience. Anyway today, it's all about the old cars. That is where I spend my time and discretionary cash!

• Like 1

Went in through the fender window to night to access the valves. Crankcase was cleaner than I expected. Not too much sludge. I dropped the oil pan too. Some sludge in the bottom, but not as bad as some others I have seen. I will clean everything up and switch over to a modern detergent oil. With pan off, I was turning the flywheel by hand. I could hear some hissing in the crankcase. Is this in an indication of compression leaking past the rings?. Either worn or stuck piston rings or scraped cylinder walls I assume. I tested the compression and intake vacuum last summer. The numbers weren't too bad. Average 90-95- 100 psi in all cylinders.  Wet, a couple cylinders went from 95 psi to 100. 

IMG_5864.jpg

• Like 3