So my car tried to maim me today

Matt Harwood

That was basicly the treatment I got from Ford 's "customer service team" way back in 78, Matt. At one point they connected me with the "head " of regional consumer affairs. I could tell he was younger than me and his sole purpose was to schmooz me into going away. It in itself was insulting. I think part of the reason I was sucessful was Ford was still reeling from the Pinto fuel fires and cover up debacle and my ability to gain the friendship of the "girls" who actually knew the system and plugged me into the right person. You will NEVER get a VP or person with REAL authority to pick up the phone and talk with you by going through "official" channels ........Good luck................Bob

When my 2007 Tahoe LTX started using oil..... General Motors put out a service bulletin saying that the V-8 was supposed to use 1 1/2 quarts of oil between changes. Nope.!!

The problem was the gismo that cut out cylinders to save fuel. The same cylinders cut out / dropped out, time after time, which caused the SAME cylinders to go hot, cold, hot, cold, hot,cold which doesn't work with the rings on an internal combustion engine. 

I was contacted by a group to be part of a class action law suit. I didn't respond.

I'm now the owner of a 2015 Land Cruiser, 2017 Tundra, 2019 4Runner and a 2008 Yaris. They owe me nothing.

I used to and still do work hard for my money. 

I didn't grow up throwing it away.

As they say. Beauty is only skin deep. Ugly is to the bone. No more General Motors vehicles for me.

My Dad loved Fords. Thats why I was a mechanic ALL my life. I was union for 32 years in the pulp and paper industry.

If you want to know about the good, the bad and the ugly. Talk to a person that drives a roll back, (wrecker), in a big city.

Edited by Bill Harmatuk (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
On 8/2/2019 at 11:16 PM, Matt Harwood said:

I appreciate your thoughts. A recall notice suggests they know there's a defect and are fixing it on other nearly identical cars. I suspect that the only reason the CTS is not on the recall list is because so few exist (fewer than 7000 CTS wagons were built for the entirety of production). I didn't have signs of failure. It worked one day and did not work the next, which is why I suspected it was a computer glitch and not a broken part. It was so random and so abrupt that it was clearly not a part wearing out. The computer had the ability to hold the hatch open because it would stay open for random periods of time, from a few seconds to more than a minute, then it slammed the hatch shut violently. That says software glitch, not broken part.

Anyway, I know what you're saying. It seems to me that GM is not admitting anything is wrong and not agreeing to fix anything because that will be an admission of guilt and that opens the door to settlements. I get it. So that's why I guess I'm going to have to use a lawyer to ask them for a settlement like yours instead.

Matt, how about an update?

Hopefully your hand is healed but have you gotten any satisfacation from GM?

Missed a lot in the middle but would seem you should make a complaint to NHTSA referencing Recall 15V415000 and identifying it as the same issue. If your car is added to the list then it must be fixed and unlike warrantees, a recall is forever.

• Like 1

After several hood-to-head incidents, usually involving blood - my blood, l keep at the ready a ‘cushion’ or ‘bumper’ for next time we come together.

The following model year (1971), Oldsmobile saw fit to move the ‘dragon tooth’ from the hood to a stationary position on the body ...

917EA661-22D5-4BA9-8B06-99500F9BC550.jpeg

ECE57A15-7524-421B-B948-CDE878621350.jpeg

In this country, we have the Consumer Guarantees Act. Basically, a product must be of merchantable quality and fit for purpose. A car should not fail one week out of warranty; that would still be the dealer's problem.

My cousin has a Subaru Outback. It is about 4 years old and was bought with a 3-year warranty. They didn't use it for work before they retired so it is a fairly low mileage car. On a trip earlier this year, it started running poorly and he had to nurse it along out of the wilderness to a Subaru dealer. It turned out a sensor had failed and it cost $900 to replace. Too bad. When he got home, he approached Subaru NZ and pointed out that a sensor should not fail at that age, esp. on a car maintained by the dealer as required. They agreed and refunded the money.

Some companies attempt to sell "extended guarantees". Basically, they are worthless, because it is all covered by the CGA. The "guarantee", of course, specifically writes out the CGA.

I have come across this myself with a modem-router. It was an American brand and the help line was to an American-speaking person who-knows-where. One week out of warranty, they didn't want to know. I chased up the merchant in NZ and got a refund.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)