So my car tried to maim me today

Matt Harwood

Your father--like mine--probably hated all the power gewgaws on cars, saying, "It's just one more thing that's gonna break."

Well, he was right.

My 2010 Cadillac CTS wagon, which has been a mostly satisfactory car, has a power tailgate. I didn't want it, I don't like it, I have never trusted it, and given the leverage involved and the mechanism's small size, I thought it was a genuinely bad idea and felt it was sure to break. 

Which it has.

It hasn't broken in the way that I expected--the electric motor works just fine, it lifts the tailgate into position and [usually] lowers it closed like it should. No, what has broken is whatever computer brain that controls it--that part has gone insane. As a result, it will open itself properly, hang open for an indeterminate and random amount of time, then slam itself shut without any warning as if the motor and gears suddenly vanished, putting the heavy hatch into free-fall. It's been doing this for two or three days and I have an appointment at the dealer to get it fixed next week (although they flat-out said they don't know how to fix it since wagons are so rare they've never had to fix one before). 

Today I'm unloading some gear from the back of the car and accidentally drop my keys. Without thinking, I place my left hand on the edge of the hatch opening on the passenger side of the car, kind of at the D-pillar where the taillights are, and the hatch SLAMS shut, trapping my hand in the hatch and creating what I can only describe as eye-wateringly exquisite pain. Unfortunately, because it's my left hand, I can't reach the latch to release it, nor can I reach the ground the retrieve my keys to open it. So I resort to yelling until Melanie comes outside to see what's going on. She opens the hatch and my bloody but mostly intact hand is freed, along with most of the weather-stripping from that side of the hatch opening. After some clean-up and some ice, my fingers are somewhat operational but the meat of my hand has swollen to the size of an orange and I'm pretty sure it'll be worse tomorrow. It's not like I use my hands for work or anything, I'm sure it'll be fine.

So a device I never wanted and haven't trusted has finally done something that I expected, yet it caught me unawares and did a lot of damage to a hand I use daily. I gave GM customer service a rather unpleasant phone call but once they found out their car had injured me, they said they would have to "call me back." LOL. OK, go get your lawyers. I'll play that game with you.

I'd like to find the guy who designed the thing and hold his head right there under the hatch and see how confident he feels in his technology. Our fathers were right. Or maybe we've just gotten too soft that automakers don't even feel that we can be responsible for opening our own trunks anymore.

When the lawyers call back, how much should I ask for, anyway? Eleventy billion? A Brazilian?

• Like 7

Sounds like the struts on your rear hatch are failing. You should replace them before they start leaking goo all over your headliner or worse take your head off.

Wagon owners - if your hatch struts fail, get it fixed asap.

The link above has sources for the struts and trim tools for the interior parts you need to take apart in order to replace the struts.

Did you Duct Tape or crazy glue your hand together? 

Seriously, I hope your hand heals quickly.

• Like 2

You probably aren't alone.  Do an internet search to see if others have had this experience ( a rare car doesn't mean it's a rare occurrence).   I'd also run the VIN and see if there are any customer satisfaction campaigns or recall notices.

I'm not interested in suing them. I do find it interesting that the person I was talking to had only one response and that was a non-response of "We'll get back to you." Circle the wagons, eh boys?

My hand should be fine. It aches but the scratches are superficial. 

What I want is to not have to spend whatever huge pile of cash will be required to fix the stupid thing. There are no hatch struts to wear out, it's 100% held open by a little electric motor in the headliner, which is controlled by a computer somewhere.

maxresdefault.jpg

Push the button on the key fob or on the driver's door or on the rear latch and the motor opens the hatch. Push the button again, and it should gently close it. It has stopped doing that reliably. My hand was on the right-side taillight about where it looks orange in that photo above. This is a known problem with the car, although my car did not demonstrate the symptoms until two days ago when the hatch fell on Melanie's head. That's why we have an appointment to get it fixed--she's good that way.

I have long been unhappy with how this car uses a computer to do everything. For example, when I turn on the radio, it doesn't actually turn on the radio--it sends a signal to a computer that I want to listen to the radio, and then the computer decides whether to turn on the radio or not. Sometimes it takes a few seconds, but sometimes I'm halfway to the shop before the radio comes on. Same thing with the headlights and dash lights, which are controlled independently by apparently different computers, so sometimes the headlights are on but the dash is pitch black or it's broad daylight and the dash is so dim that I can't see it. The computers are maddening in this car and now that it has tried to injure me, I'm starting to take it personally. 

Perhaps it's time to crush another car...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

There are no hatch struts to wear out, it's 100% held open by a little electric motor in the headliner, which is controlled by a computer somewhere.

Push the button on the key fob or on the driver's door or on the rear latch and the motor opens the hatch. Push the button again, and it should gently close it. It has stopped doing that reliably.

Have you had the headliner down in your wagon before?

Posts in the link I posted above seem to indicate that even models with the electric motor use the struts to take the weight off of the motor.

Glad you hand is just scratched.

4 minutes ago, charlier said:

Have you had the headliner down in your wagon before?

Posts in the link I posted above seem to indicate that even models with the electric motor use the struts to take the weight off of the motor.

Glad you hand is just scratched.

I see what you're saying now. I missed the link the first time. Sorry about that. I may go in after it or I might let GM fix it--I think they'll be interested in doing that. Thanks for the info!

Hope your hand heals rapidly! 

I inwardly chuckle when I see the adds for whatever the latest power convenience gimmick  people are being told they shouldn't live without. 

Last car I bought was a very basic 2 door hatchback. 5 speed manual, no options at all. It was cheap. Gets great mileage. Has been 99.999 % reliable. Dishwater dull, but it actually is a very sprightly performer and a joy to drive. You can chuck it around like a sports car but it is as practical as a car can be.  But even in the Hyundai line it was hard to find one that basic in local stock. 

My wife tried to buy one similar a few years later and none of the local dealers could find one while the price incentive was in effect.  One dealer claimed no one bought the basic ones so no dealer ordered them, a second dealer said they were such a good bargain at the incentive price they sold like hot cakes and were all spoken for. Make up your own mind.

I always try to live by the K.I.S.S. principal, but marketing departments are dead set against it.

Greg in Canada

There was a recall of different vehicle for similar problem

Recall 15V415000
Liftgate Falls Closed Without Warning

Recall Details
The power liftgate may fall suddenly from the open position due to the failure of the struts that support it when open. Dealers will update the software for the liftgate actuator motor control unit to prevent rapid closing of the liftgate free of charge to resolve the problem.

Our Quick Take
The struts that hold up the power liftgate may suddenly fail, resulting in the liftgate falling closed.  If this happens, someone may be struck and injured by the falling liftgate.

What Should You Do?
General Motors will notify owners of affected vehicles (a timetable for notification is not available as of the time of this writing). You can check with your dealer to see if your vehicle is involved in this program. It is helpful to have your VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) on hand when you contact them. The General Motors recall number is 15240.

Affected Cars
Buick Enclave
2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
Chevrolet Traverse
2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
GMC Acadia
2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
Saturn Outlook
2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
Body, Interior & Misc., June 30, 2015
Original Recall from the NHTSA
Manufacturer's Report Date
June 30, 2015
NHTSA Action Number
N/A
Potential Number of Units Affected
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number
15V415000
Component
STRUCTURE

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I see what you're saying now. I missed the link the first time. Sorry about that. I may go in after it or I might let GM fix it--I think they'll be interested in doing that. Thanks for the info!

You're welcome. Hopefully GM covers at least part of the repair under the recall that mike 6024 posted about above.

Charlie

4 hours ago, mike6024 said:

There was a recall of different vehicle for similar problem

Recall 15V415000

Recall Details
The power liftgate may fall suddenly from the open position due to the failure of the struts that support it when open. Dealers will update the software for the liftgate actuator motor control unit to prevent rapid closing of the liftgate free of charge to resolve the problem.

Our Quick Take
The struts that hold up the power liftgate may suddenly fail, resulting in the liftgate falling closed.  If this happens, someone may be struck and injured by the falling liftgate.

What Should You Do?
General Motors will notify owners of affected vehicles (a timetable for notification is not available as of the time of this writing). You can check with your dealer to see if your vehicle is involved in this program. It is helpful to have your VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) on hand when you contact them. The General Motors recall number is 15240.

Affected Cars
Buick Enclave
2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
Chevrolet Traverse
2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
GMC Acadia
2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
Saturn Outlook
2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
Body, Interior & Misc., June 30, 2015
Original Recall from the NHTSA
Manufacturer's Report Date
June 30, 2015
NHTSA Action Number
N/A
Potential Number of Units Affected
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number
15V415000
Component
STRUCTURE

Add the 2015 1/2 Cadillac Escalade to that list. It has been an ongoing problem that I have had "fixed" with an update numerous times over the last 4 years. The hatch doesn't fall though it does have a mind of its own and closes whenever it wants to like someone has pressed the close button. It closes at random times, sometimes with the chimes working, and sometimes with them not working. It has hit me on the head and back numerous times. Good luck with GM. Hopefully they can fix it to your satisfaction. I still dont trust it and am wary everytime I use it! Glad it didn't do worse damage to your hand.

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)

On the plus side we have been really impressed with Cadillac's responsiveness on the couple nitz on the 15 ATS.  Nice to not have to prop up the hood with a rod like so many smaller cars today.

But, I will keep an eye over my shoulder in the future...   "Psst, could you open the hood and check my oil please?  You can rest your hand right....there! 😃

20181201_135414.jpg

13 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Discuss with your local TV Station Consumer Advocate per an Expose' ??

Correct Marty that will “get the ball rolling” meanwhile have your PR person ready or have an area known attorney with you when the tv folks come out to film a re-enactment.

keep us informed 

Robert

Over in the next county we have a large tattoo shop that might be able to set you on a path of action. They are connected with a personal damage lawyer using a single digital phone number. The lawyer claims to get at least 50 or more times what insurance offers. And they only take cases they know they can win.

Knowing the case is well screened and an award is inevitable, the defendant can directly apply to J G Wentworth  for an immediate cash settlement.

Many people in that county have been able to buy tattoos they never would have been able to buy otherwise. You might be able to take your limo to the next level.

PM me for the confidential contact information or watch Channel 4, Buffalo evening TV for other details.

Bernie

Interesting. I have an '11 Coupe DD mainly because GM offers very few 2-doors. It has the same push button door latches that have trapped people in XLRs and Corvettes. They did respond with two mechanical latches on the floor and one in the trunk. Unfortunately the trunk one does not work completely.

side.jpg

Matt. I hope you heal quickly and are not in to much pain or discomfort! WOW.

I totally agree with all the advice that has been given saying that you should make sure it is the topic of a news report, tv coverage etc. THAT may get results .

No company, organization etc wants bad PR because they were at fault for some injury to someone who did not bring it upon themselves. Be this physical, emotional etc so far as the damage goes.

The "wrong" is always recalled far longer after it may be made "right" , the memory lingers on.

Keep well , go and sit in your 29 Cadillac sedan and have a cool drink, look around you and use that as the therapy to make you well.

Walt

1 hour ago, padgett said:

Interesting. I have an '11 Coupe DD mainly because GM offers very few 2-doors. It has the same push button door latches that have trapped people in XLRs and Corvettes. They did respond with two mechanical latches on the floor and one in the trunk. Unfortunately the trunk one does not work completely.

side.jpg

See Caddys always seem to have a subtle sinister quality... 🤔😁

A lot of my cars have tried and succeeded in maiming me. My 1931 DB coupe has attacked me MANY times over our relationship. It's a love/hate relationship. I love the car, but hate it when it hurts me.

• Haha 1

To quote a famous movie line.........

“The beast be hungry tonight!”

My best best guess is the man upstairs is trying to send you message...........I have interpreted it here for you.........

“Matt you need to only own pre war cars for personal or family transportation.” .......Hope this helps! 

Sorry, just couldn’t resist. Feel better soon! Best, Ed

• Like 1

When the lawyers call back, how much should I ask for, anyway? Eleventy billion? A Brazilian?

Personally, I'd ask for a Brazilian.  There are a lot of people down there!  

The trunk lid of my 1937 Buick 80C, and the sharp front corner of my 1954 Cadillac's hood insist on just staying in place, just above eye-level, while I repeatedly turn the corner and walk into them while I'm generally looking the othe way.

The Buick provides a big "THUD", followed by double-vision, while the Cadillac simply draws blood through hair and scalp.

GM should have warned me of the sinister actions of vehicles, respectively 82 and 65 years old 😎

bw10635-gif.103156

It sounds like the computerized motor lifts the gate, and the struts hold it open. The mechanism isn't clear from this diagram. But if the struts are compromised an the gate starts to lower, you probably get increasing leverage making it accelerate as it drops.

I think just about every car I have owned has drawn blood.

Just yesterday I smacked my head on the long hood corner, 46 New Yorker.

I went to run the brush across where I used to have more hair this morning and was reminded.

Tried to take the scab.

030.jpg

So true Jack... just about every vehicle (car, truck, motorcycle, minibike, gokart…).

Maybe we're just accident prone as humans. Obviously not in Matts situation though.

Remember the 60s and 70s when smashing a kids hand in the car door seemed mandatory when exiting...? Ahhh the good ole days!

• 3 weeks later...

So Donita @ Cadillac customer service has told me to f*ck off in no uncertain terms. She claims to have the ability to make decisions about these kinds of situations and her decision is that Cadillac doesn't care if their cars are hurting people.

THIS is why GM is going down the tubes. I've been a cheerleader for GM for years, but Audi wouldn't have given me the runaround for three weeks. All I wanted was the car fixed.

Now we do lawyers, I guess. I didn't want that, I didn't expect that, but hey, now I'm angry. Known defect + open recall on other products doing this exact thing + injury = you're f*cked, Cadillac.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

GM's cadre of a brazilian over paid lawyers whose only job is to bleed you dry (along with your own highly paid and likely outmatched laywer) might have a different view of who will be taking the internal stimulation........bob

When confronted with a similar situation, I have always found that calmly asking to speak with an individual's supervisor eventually gets you to someone with enough sense to make the right decision. It sometimes requires the patience to speak with several different levels of supervision, but while it can be frustrating, it is generally faster and cheaper than litigation. 

2 hours ago, MCHinson said:

When confronted with a similar situation, I have always found that calmly asking to speak with an individual's supervisor eventually gets you to someone with enough sense to make the right decision. It sometimes requires the patience to speak with several different levels of supervision, but while it can be frustrating, it is generally faster and cheaper than litigation. 

Sounds good, but a car 9 years old and a minor mishap. Good luck.

I went through the "run around mill" with Ford back in 1978. In know, ancient history, but still.

I bought a new Ford pick up with a 4 speed manual trans. Sometimes, not often, it would grind gears on the up shift from 3 to 4 and when it did the only thing was to stop the truck and start over. Since I could not demonstrate it, at will, the dealer said there was nothing he could or would do.

I went through the whole customer complaint chain of command and was finally told there was nothing they could or would do. I was "officially" blown off.

Now this was back before email and voice mail etc. I started calling the main switch board in Detroit. They actually had live "girls" answering the phone.

I started by asking to speak to Phillip Caldwell, the chairman and CEO. They dutifully put me right through to his office. Of course he was guarded by a phalanx of underlings one of which asked my reason for wanting to speak with "Mr. Caldwell". I explained my problem and was very politely transferred to "consumer affairs". Long story short this went on for many days. I kept notes of who I talked to and who was very politely blowing me off.

After awhile I started explaining my problem to the switch board girls and  I'd ask who they were transferring me to. If I had already been blown off by that person I'd ask if they had any ideas of just who I should talk to, and they'd send me over, and I'd get blown off again.

I finally hit on another tack. I framed my problem as a safety issue, not a maintenance issue. When I did that and explained to the girls that my wife and children almost got in an accident because of it and asked who I could talk to. One of them thoughtfully said "let me see if I can get Mr. McGuigan to pick up, he's a corporate VP in the safety dept."

Sure enough a guy answered with a gruff "McGuigan." I introduced myself and explained Ford had safety issue with their trucks he should know about.

I explained how the truck would mis-shift and have to be stopped. I told him my wife and children were on the entrance way to route 78 and the truck mis-shifted. she had no shoulder to pull over and was nearly rear ended by a semi. Now she was distraught and refuses to drive the truck or allow our children in it. I explained how I had gone through all the steps and been blown off by everyone from the dealer to the head of consumer affairs.

I then explained I had talked to an attorney and while it was beyond his capabilities he could refer me to a good attorney and in light of Ford's recent Pinto fire problems, and cover, up he thought that he might be able to get a court order to penetrate Ford's maintenance records with the possibility of a class action suit.

Mr. McGuigan  said "well how old is the truck" I said "Mr. McGuigan, it's not even a year old. It's still under warrantee."

He simply said "JESUS CHRIST".

He then asked for details and my contact info and bid me good bye.

Several hours later my wife got a phone call from the Ford dealer. He understood there is a problem with our truck and could someone bring it in tomorrow. If that is not possible they will send send someone to pick it up. I took it in the next day and talked to the service manager. He said the necessary repair parts were shipped over night and they were already on hand.

I asked him why the sudden change of heart. He said "we got a call from God."

As a post script I actually was face to face will Phillip Caldwell semi regularly while this was going on. He was on our board of directors and we would send one of our airplanes to Detroit, and the Ford hangar, to pick him up and return him once a month. As the aircraft captain I would always welcome him aboard and from time to time he would come up to the cockpit for a few minutes to chat.

I'm certain if I had had the effrontery to bring the subject of my truck up with him I would have been discharged that day. Some lines you just don't cross..........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 2

My experience with Audi led me to expect Cadillac to behave the same way. The heated seats in my allroad overheated and burned through the leather seat cover, my trousers, and part of my leg. I've got a nice little 4-inch scar on the back of my left thigh where the heating element cooked me for a few seconds while I brought the car to a stop and jumped out. All I did was go to the dealer and try to order a new seat cover at the parts counter (to install myself--they're just held on with zippers), but the parts guy asked why I needed it. When I told him, it was like a 4-alarm fire and the general manager and the service manager came over and told me to bring the car in and they'd take care of it, which I did and which they did (I actually got two new front seats). Then they gave me gift certificates for a set of tires and free oil changes for as long as I owned the car. It was all more than I wanted, but this was a known problem with the seats in certain cars and all they wanted was to fix my car and make me happy--they obviously didn't want any trouble, legal or otherwise.

I understand that my Cadillac is nine years old. I understand that I can't expect perfection or that it shouldn't break. I don't want a hand-out or a pile of money for my injuries (my hand is still marked and still sore). All I wanted was to have my hatch fixed the way every single other GM car's hatch was being fixed--which, it appears, is nothing more than a software update that costs them nothing more than five minutes of a tech's time. That's ALL I wanted. 

All I did was ask them for help getting it fixed, starting with finding me a dealer who knew how to do it (I made and kept an appointment with my usual dealer who looked at it and said they weren't sure they could fix it since they'd never worked on a CTS wagon before). Customer service said they would have a supervisor call me within 24 hours, which was 11 days ago. Today they finally called at 5 PM and started the conversation with "Matt [not "Mr. Harwood" which I kind of think is warranted, although I'm not that kind of guy] your car's VIN indicates that you doesn't qualify for any assistance on this repair. If you would like more information please go to your local dealer." And that was when I started getting grumpy. Donita would not give me her last name and would not let me talk to a supervisor who could make a decision, telling me that she was the one who was making the decision and that they would not be repairing the car. When I said I wasn't looking for anything but repairs even though I'd been hurt, she said, "Then you should have your lawyers call our lawyers." That's when I decided Donita and GM could go to hell.  

This is a known issue that specifically says in the recall that the hatch can close suddenly and violently, causing injury. That is exactly what happened and it failed in the exact same way the others have failed and I did get hurt. Now before you suggest I'm some kind of crybaby, why not go out to your car with an automatic trunk closer, stick your hand on the sill, and slam it. Then let the automatic pull-down mechanism do its thing, just for good measure, and stand there until someone else comes along to set you free. Report back and let me know how your hand is doing. Here's how my hand looks as of ten minutes ago, almost two weeks later:

hand.thumb.jpg.9eb7fd9490515ee5ed71a9df4b6e393b.jpg

I expected a luxury car maker with a known problem to deal with it the way another luxury car maker dealt with a known problem that hurt people. This is just like when GM pretended they didn't have a problem with their ignition switches and how many millions of dollars did that cost them? How long did they deny anything was wrong and tell their customers to go shove it? Have they learned nothing at all? And does management at GM really wonder why they can't compete with the rest of the world? Product is one thing, but customer service is what builds a brand. So close, yet so far. That is why they fail.

Ultimately, I figure it shouldn't take much more than a standard lawyer letter to get the attention of someone who matters, a few phone calls to collect the details, maybe that photo up there, and their lawyers will recommend they spend the five minutes to fix the goddamned car so I'll go away. It's what they should have done weeks ago.

It's not reasonable to ask for vehicle repair due to hand injury. If the hand is injured you are owed medical expenses and pain and suffering, plus punitive if there was something like willful neglect.

You are owed car repair if it is under warranty, or is manufacturer defect.

They are two separate issues.

It is a complex system, with a motor to lift, and depends on gas struts to keep it suspended. If I understand the system anyway. And the struts are not meant to last forever, and need replaced at some point. There should be some warning at some point, such as the lid not staying all the way up. And so the car gets taken it to be checked, and you're told the struts are losing pressure and need replaced.

So it didn't work this way. Maybe you didn't get warning it need to go for service. Maybe they will accuse you of not taking it in promptly when it first appeared something was wrong..

I received $47k for a hand injury. My neighbors bull dogs (two) came out after me when I was jogging. I went to the ER, got stitches. The Animal Control came and took a report and took both dogs. Followup medical showed I had some torn nerves on the back of my hand. Hand functions, but skin on the back lacks sensation. The majority of the settlement is due to some permanent injury, that's what counts by far the most in injury cases.

BTW, I don't care what you do, I just felt like putting some thoughts down.

19 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

It's not reasonable to ask for vehicle repair due to hand injury. If the hand is injured you are owed medical expenses and pain and suffering, plus punitive if there was something like willful neglect.

You are owed car repair if it is under warranty, or is manufacturer defect.

They are two separate issues.

It is a complex system, with a motor to lift, and depends on gas struts to keep it suspended. If I understand the system anyway. And the struts are not meant to last forever, and need replaced at some point. There should be some warning at some point, such as the lid not staying all the way up. And so the car gets taken it to be checked, and you're told the struts are losing pressure and need replaced.

So it didn't work this way. Maybe you didn't get warning it need to go for service. Maybe they will accuse you of not taking it in promptly when it first appeared something was wrong..

I appreciate your thoughts. A recall notice suggests they know there's a defect and are fixing it on other nearly identical cars. I suspect that the only reason the CTS is not on the recall list is because so few exist (fewer than 7000 CTS wagons were built for the entirety of production). I didn't have signs of failure. It worked one day and did not work the next, which is why I suspected it was a computer glitch and not a broken part. It was so random and so abrupt that it was clearly not a part wearing out. The computer had the ability to hold the hatch open because it would stay open for random periods of time, from a few seconds to more than a minute, then it slammed the hatch shut violently. That says software glitch, not broken part.

Anyway, I know what you're saying. It seems to me that GM is not admitting anything is wrong and not agreeing to fix anything because that will be an admission of guilt and that opens the door to settlements. I get it. So that's why I guess I'm going to have to use a lawyer to ask them for a settlement like yours instead.