1950 Dodge Wayfarer Convertible Project - Auction

https://vanderbrinkauction.proxibid.com/Collector-Cars/Project-Barn-Cars/1950-Dodge-Wayfarer-Convertible/lotInformation/48497404

An interesting car, truly rarely seen and 101% of the readers will consider this a parts car.

But eh, maybe?   Last time I was active into Mopars, which has been awhile, these cars were well supported by vendors parts wise - for mechanicals.  Unlike some of the 8 cylinder New Yorkers.  No bids yet, most of your money would be in transport.  I see a straight car, with usual floor rust on largely flat areas. 

Does it have roll up windows? It might be the "roadster", and if so, it's pretty rare. It has something like a window on the passenger side, but I don't see a slot in the top of the door, nor any window cranks.

They touted it as a "Roadster" so it may not have roll up windows, but that seems hard to believe for 1949 America, unless you are a Crosley.

1949-1952 Dodge Wayfarer Prices and Production:

1949 Wayfarer (wb 115) Weight Price Production
coupe, 3P 3,065 $1,611 9,342
2d sedan 3,180 1,738 49,054
roadster/convertible 3,145 1,727 5,420
Total 1949 Wayfarer     63,816
1950 Wayfarer (wb 115) Weight Price Production
coupe, 3P 3,095 1,611 7,500
2d sedan 3,200 1,738 65,000
Sportabout convertible 3,155 1,727 2,903
Total 1950 Wayfarer     75,403
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, B Jake Moran said:

But eh, maybe? 

If I bought that and gave it to you,  I would spend the rest of my life looking over my shoulder.

25-30k will buy the nicest one in the world.   10-15k will get you one that has a frame under it.

For me,  I would want an early 49 with the side curtains,  or a 51 with the updated nose.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bloo said:

Does it have roll up windows? It might be the "roadster", and if so, it's pretty rare. It has something like a window on the passenger side, but I don't see a slot in the top of the door, nor any window cranks.

It is the roadster with side curtains and not roll up windows. You can see the holes for the mounting pins if you look closely at the driver's door.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

27 minutes ago, alsancle said:

If I bought that and gave it to you,  I would spend the rest of my life looking over my shoulder.

25-30k will buy the nicest one in the world.   10-15k will get you one that has a frame under it.

For me,  I would want an early 49 with the side curtains,  or a 51 with the updated nose.

I don't want to spend $25,000 on the best one, I want to enjoy restoration as a hobby. 

49, 50, 51, does not matter.  I suppose it does if a person is a particular fan of a certain car.  I know Mopars got better looking the further one got away from the 49 restyle.  (* I owned a 1949 New Yorker Club Coupe)   I should have expected a "you can get one for $25,000 and not waste your time restoring it" comment. 

There is no question, as you state, the restoration hobby is dead, dead, dead.  NOBODY at all is restoring anything. 

1 hour ago, B Jake Moran said:

They touted it as a "Roadster" so it may not have roll up windows, but that seems hard to believe for 1949 America, unless you are a Crosley.

It was the last one!, at least in full size American cars. Mechanix Illustrated ran an article when it was new.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

10 minutes ago, Bloo said:

It was the last one!, at least in full size American cars. Mechanix Illustrated ran an article when it was new.

Until the Viper....it is full size, but only room for two.

VIPER.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I do think the age of the restoration is over.   The basic skills necessary to do a home restoration are fading away,  and even then you need some level of professional help and parts.   Both the later are getting harder to come by.

But,  if you really want a Wayfarer restoration project,   find one that has a frame under it and pay a little more.    None of us have an infinite amount of time.

Here is the more desirable 51 for 5k or BO.   Underneath might be just as bad, I don't know.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/dodge/wayfarer/2261853.html

image.thumb.png.c03a2479d6b0d268b413266b2c23e34b.png

5 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

1949-1952 Dodge Wayfarer Prices and Production:

1949 Wayfarer (wb 115) Weight Price Production
coupe, 3P 3,065 $1,611 9,342
2d sedan 3,180 1,738 49,054
roadster/convertible 3,145 1,727 5,420
Total 1949 Wayfarer     63,816
1950 Wayfarer (wb 115) Weight Price Production
coupe, 3P 3,095 1,611 7,500
2d sedan 3,200 1,738 65,000
Sportabout convertible 3,155 1,727 2,903
Total 1950 Wayfarer     75,403

I thought the roadster was a one year only deal. Could the car in the first post be a 49 instead of a 50?

The early 49 models had side curtains.  They changed to roll up during the 49 Model year and stayed with that configuration until the end of the run.  I had one.  It ran but turned out to be a total rust bucket.  The inner rockers - the backbone of the body - were virtually rusted away, as was most of the front floor.  I found 4 NOS fenders for it and started the restoration.  Then I found the the frame - unique to the convertible - was rusted badly.  I could punch holes in the frame with the jab of a screwdriver.  To add to the problem, the Wayfarer frames are short wheelbase, hard to find.  After I added up the cost of chrome, paint, interior, top, tires, mechanical work and my labor - and found three nice ones for sale in the 20 to 25K range - I gave up and sold it, taking a $500 loss.  (I was very lucky!). And the cars for sale took a long, long time to sell.  I know one went for $16,000 and was a good solid car.  A good sheet metal man who can weld and lay a good coat of paint could have had fun with it, I guess, but it was beyond my capabilities.  In a stroke of irony, I sold that car plus my 48 Plymouth to purchase my 32 Dodge Brothers sedan - the first car I ever owned, the actual car.  I probably have more time and money in it now than I would have had if I’d continued with the Wayfarer, but I’m enjoying this ride a lot more.  Restoring  something you love that is part of your past makes it worth it - at least to me.

While I admire anyone interested in their own restoration work, the two thoughts (from my experience only, having completed one successful restoration, bagged a couple and gone the driver route) that come to mind are:

Be realistic about your own time, ability and funding.

Always buy the best car you can afford.  The better the start the better the end result.  Run, dont walk from any of these three issues:  rust, incomplete vehicles, field cars needing everything.

Its not about making money, but it should be about being able to see it through without losing your shirt, and perhaps driving your project within a decade give or take.

Like Alsancle, I like mopars and believe they represent a great value.  I would go prewar but wayfarers are cool also.  Happy hunting!

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I apologize for my chest puffing comments regarding the Wayfarer convertible as a viable project.   With some reflection and Taylormade's comments, I see this is not restorable, without a new frame.    I also appreciate the photo of the 51, which I toggled back and forth with the 49 and agree that the styling improvements made for 51 make for a more attractive car.  I love extending the fender lines into the door.  Potentially, in the case of the 51 above, if that is a correct factory color, that silver-blue is a nice color for this vehicle.  

The point regarding the general economy of restoration of these cars remain.  While I appreciate the gee whiz of the first postwar OHV V8's and automatic transmissions of some cars, they add expense, as do expensive interiors and more chrome.    Having started and not completed a few projects, I am a big fan now of the chip away method. 

If you can drive a car while attacking one area of restoration a year, you can enjoy it and motivate yourself.  Often times we see CL ads where the restoration is started enthusiastically and then dies.  I have no love affair with post war Plymouths but find that coupe an interesting car.   I have bid $350 on it. I expect to be outbid, but if not I will happily go get it.  

• Like 1

Do not apologize, this group will do their collective best to advise if you ask, B Jake.  Alsancle and a couple others have saved me from myself a few times, and made good suggestions in suggested leads.  Unfortunately you cannot buy 'em all.  🤔😁

A super sound, flat head mopar, pre or postwar is not a bad ride.  I still think about the yellow 46 - 48 ply convt Auburnseeker had on this site 2 or 3 years back.  I would have loved to grab that one, but timing was wrong.  I think he sold it low, mid teens after sorting it out.  Open, prewar styling, nice colors, nice price... 

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

That link won't work.  Unfortunately after selling that Plymouth I haven't been in the position to replace it with another running ragtop. I even mentioned to the wife the other day that it was nice to have to beat around in as it ran like a top and never failed to start as well as never ran hot.  The only trouble i had was the gas tank which I took out and fixed.  The guy that bought it (for 14,500) Actually did pull it all apart and put a nice paint job on it.  Of course then he was trying to get somewhere over 30 for it,  which was way over market as they bottom out at about 20-25. 

Maybe if i sell the 40 Ford Coupe I will be able to find something.  Might even have to take something in on trade to get it sold.  Would be nice if it was one.  I like the Wayfarer roadsters as well.  There was a nice on for sale a couple of years ago in Maryland I believe for 16,500 or something similar.  It was pretty darn nice.  The ones listed above wouldn't even make a good parts car for it,  but it didn't need anything anyways except a driver. 

Sorry about the link boys.  Anyway I bet 10, 10,500 gets that little coupe. Then,  drive the wheels off it!

My 41 never failed to start either.  I regularly see attractively priced mopar coupes from say 51 on back.  

Steve,  you seem to have trouble with those links.  If you compare the links,  you are losing the last 10 characters or so when you are cutting and pasting.  Put your cursor in the browser address bar.  Ctrl-A to copy all,  Ctrl-V to paste in to the post.   You can eliminate anything extraneous after the .html as it is usually just logging how you got there.

That flathead six is indestructible and cheap to rebuild for sure.    My dad bought me a 49 Plymouth special deluxe with 10k original miles when I was 12 to use as HS car.   It was  a 2 door,  but I wish it was this coupe!    If it had been,  I might not have I spent the next 5 years scheming and working multiple jobs to get a GTO to replace the Plymouth.

He’s a dealer near me.  He’ll probably hold out for the higher number based on previous discussions with him on other cars.  With any dealer, you’re paying for the car and the dealer’s overhead.  Not faulting or complaining,  as a good dealer will back his cars and give the buyer a bit of security you might not get from a private purchase.  Note I said good dealers.  I’m not real comfortable with the lower section of this car.  The reflections off the fender do not match with those of the door.  Seems a bit wavy, but maybe it’s just me.

I went to their website but they actually don't have this one listed in their inventory.  Hard to say where their price is.  Pricing seemed all over the place.  They had a 40? Plymouth Sedan for 30G.  But then they had a Lincoln continental and a 40 or 41 Merc Convertible that both looked pretty nice in the mid 30's and a good looking 57 Dodge sweptline pickup in the low 20's.  Seems to be dart board pricing.

There has been this one sitting on ebay for a little while now.  I forgot I put it on my watch at 19,500 or best offer. 

So 19,500 is too much for one of these or it would have sold. 

I musty have put it on my watch to see where the market is on these,  as I really don't like a white car and especially one of these in white. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1950-Dodge-Wayfarer/123794696137?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

15 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

That link works.  No way you could make the one in this thread look that nice for the price even if they gave it to you. 

I agree.  Whenever possible I try to post great buys of nice cars. Remember the stodgy but low mileage 1950 Chrysler Windsor 4 door I posted about 2 weeks ago?  I think they wanted less than this for it.  

That light grey shows well on the Plymouth.  That long trunk looks great and styling is really quite nice.  Few people must have a back seat for the hobby, and you have a large trunk to haul stuff, out of sight.  

We have a whole discussion over in the Pierce Arrow thread about white.    Not a fan unless it is a Shelby GT350.

If somebody buys one of these cars will they please take a photo without the fender skirts?     Probably just me,  but I have never liked them on any car.

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

This looks like a pretty nice 49.   Don't like side skirts, but otherwise very presentable.   I'm sure he wants 25k,  but it will actually sell closer to 18-20.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1949-Dodge-Other-Roadster/392322761070

DodgeWayfarerRoadster.jpg

Two observations: the headlight shields and fog lights don’t help the looks of the front and I hope someone has aligned the front end since the spare was changed out. Zeke

AJ once again I show my lack of IT skills...   Good to know process, i have just been doing click, copy...

Anyway, two interesting Plymouths in the latest HMN.  One 51 coupe in CT @ 7500, looks ready to roll.  One is a 40, also in CT, $14k.  Twice the price but I could see it in my garage for sure, at maybe 11k...

Just found this on Craigslist, now that you guys have me thinking if I sell the 40 Ford I should use some proceeds to buy a 49 or so Roadster.   One of the many cars on my Bucket list.  Fortunately it's not only High end cars,  so I get to add one to it once in a while,  even if it is for only a short time. 

Priced at 5 G but not running though looks more promising than some of the Carcasses offered. Though I do see some floor rust on the passenger side. 

https://bend.craigslist.org/pts/d/bend-49-dodge-wayfarer/6892924787.html

00202_lowc2pdwXIc_600x450.jpg

00K0K_gxFN0lPHE6M_600x450.jpg

5 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

+1 on white, but I will add c3 vettes to accepable in white also. 🙂

Well it's acceptable on a 53 -55 Vette as well but after 53 there are better colors,  though if someone said you can have it but it's white,  I would still take it and have fun driving it.  The red interior really helps. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Just found this on Craigslist, now that you guys have me thinking if I sell the 40 Ford I should use some proceeds to buy a 49 or so Roadster.   One of the many cars on my Bucket list.  Fortunately it's not only High end cars,  so I get to add one to it once in a while,  even if it is for only a short time. 

Priced at 5 G but not running though looks more promising than some of the Carcasses offered. Though I do see some floor rust on the passenger side. 

I'll give them a pat on the back for more photos than usual,  but the description is confusing.   " Solid body with normal amount of rust"  ->  What the heck does that mean?

I said in the earlier post,   12-15K literally buys the best one in the world.   5k buys you a nice project,  although not running this one is probably overpriced.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

00202_lowc2pdwXIc_600x450.jpg

00K0K_gxFN0lPHE6M_600x450.jpg

A.S., I've been meaning to ask you how you like your '40, now that it's been yours for a while. It sounds like you might be thinking of moving on to something else. A '40 Ford coupe is something of an iconic car to many. Have you been disenchanted with it, or is this just your usual turn over rate?

A little of both on the 40.

I originally bought it to flip,  though have always wanted a 40.  So it was a bit tearing do you keep it longer,  but I need to eventually cash out to pay for my garage floor.  Also some of the stuff,  which I have corrected most of on the car just makes me shake my head.   Everything seems to be brand new that they put on the car,  just little things not finished up, little bits of trim work inside that just don't seem right to me. It's like they got it almost there then said close enough,  when to fix it right was only a little more work.   I mean they did all new glass, rubber, throughout the whole car, new upholstery kit from someone in the correct fabrics.

Every single piece of chrome on the car, new in and out, new drake complete running boards.

New cloth wrapped wire harness,  all new switches and gauges, floor matt inside and in the trunk,  complete cardboard trunk kit,  Everything is new, just things are haphazardly installed in some cases.  I think that's why the car just sat and was never used.  The guy that restored it,  or probably paid someone to restore it,  took it to one show and didn't do well.

Things like the park brake not working, tag light not working, trunk handle falling off (though it was a complete new drake handle assembly), trunk lid wouldn't stay open because of weak springs etc.  Discouraged him.  Not too mention the paint was full of Orange peel.  So he probably spent good money on the car then was disgusted.

I wet sanded and actually even blocked much of the car out carefully with 600 and 1000 grit to clean up alot of the sins.  

I won't tell you how long that took as every panel is a curve so you need to be real careful.

Fixed the tag light, a missing gasket on the glass which makes the socket make contact for a ground, replaced the trunk handle and lock as that was the culprit because they jammed the new lock cylinder in but not far enough for it to properly engage the detent which actually holds the whole handle on. 

I put new springs on the trunk hinges and whala it works properly.  It's stupid little stuff.  The brakes ended up being a retainer was missing for the cables that I made up and now it works great.  

Of course brakes were screwed up because it sat so much.  I put all new master and wheel cylinders on it with silicone fluid.  You know the usual stuff.  Looks like the clutch is all new and the engine runs very well with good oil pressure and no overheating issues,  which is one of the reasons I bought it.  It's been rebuilt as far as I can tell because every bolt on it is cadmium color so it was painted while it was completely disassembled.  

As I said alot of money was spent,  just poor results for what the owner spent. 

I'm also getting antsy to get a different toy to play with.  I've messed with this one enough.  Time for a new toy,  that I can sell eventually to put my floor in,  but since that's not another year or so,  might as well have some fun in the mean time.  Being the bank will only give me .05% on my money anyways might as well tie it up in a car or two.  

I figure I would even take a trade or two on it, if it's something else I like. 

It's photos later today and on to Craigslist. 

I still have a few ongoing tweeks to work on,  which I will continue to tackle as I'm sure it won't sell right away. 

It's going to be a tough price range to be in so I will probably have to take a bit of a beating on that as well.  I figure start it at 30,000,  hope for 28,500 and probably take a trade worth half that or more and some cash to get it sold.