Can anyone identify this 1950s 2 door in a field?

Ivan1607

I'm trying to identify this car which looks to be 1950s era.  I thought it might be a impala because of the headlights but the hood is different.  Any ideas??? everyone I show the picture on my phone can't place it.  These are the only photos I have.

received_2233984166720711.png

received_456488315087794.png

received_291645478433811.png

Wow you guys are fast, thank-you!  Are parts remade/available for this car? It's a long story but the Car is in Europe, I'm in Canada, but will mostly have to order parts from the USA because if the lack of vintage parts on this side of the border.

Yes a good friend has a 61 Plymouth Fury convertible, so I would agree. I do disagree on value v VW.  Look at this cars early sixty vibe!  Great car to consider restoring.  I suspect it has that rectangular steering wheel, a space age dash, and a split front seat with a drivers side lower (or is it higher) than the passenger side.

• Like 3

I recall when I was a street racing teenager in the early 1970's. I thought those were the single-most unattractive cars of that era. But today they are unique, because very few survived, and because the look so "different" from everything else. A red colored two door hardtop would be a pretty special car, for sure.

Mechanical parts should be easy to find. Body and upholstery parts...not so much. Very little reproduction stuff exists. 

Interestingly, for these very reasons, cars like this can sometimes bring surprisingly high numbers at the big name auto auctions...especially when they are desirable colors and 2 doors hardtops like this one. Good luck with it! 

There are used parts still available as well,  but stuff like interior plastic pieces are hard to come by.  Good chrome could be sourced from the Western US.  Sheetmetal parts would have to be as well. Of course shipping will be the killer on many things.   I don't think there is any reproduction beyond maybe rocker panels.  I actually don't mind the look of them,  though some people really dislike it.  Of course the 70's came along as well as Pontiac raised the ugly bar again with the Aztec,  so many once ugly cars look a whole lot better now. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

Heavens to Murgatroid!

Could this be Maggie12's car? 😉

91766045_EmbassyClub.thumb.jpg.69fbf646fc58cf8bbf4088d6444ff3b5.jpg

Nope....it doesn't have the optional grille guard....

31 minutes ago, padgett said:

Interesting that 2-dr trim would be hard to find - back then a 2-dr cost less than a 4-dr.

Plymouth in this era was mostly a family man’s car and most popular in 4 door models.  A 1961 two door is an unusual find.

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)
  • Like 2

2 door hardtops were considered sportier than a sedan and sold for a premium price. They generally sold about 1 hardtop for every 5 or 10 sedans. The amount of chrome on the red car suggests it is one of the more expensive, more lavishly trimmed models like a Belvedere or Fury.

On 5/1/2019 at 9:42 AM, B Jake Moran said:

Yes a good friend has a 61 Plymouth Fury convertible, so I would agree. I do disagree on value v VW.  Look at this cars early sixty vibe!  Great car to consider restoring.  I suspect it has that rectangular steering wheel, a space age dash, and a split front seat with a drivers side lower (or is it higher) than the passenger side.

Don't forget the push-button shift.  😉