'63 BUICK letters on deck lid

TheOldMan

I am starting to gather parts for my '63 Riv so it can be put together after paint.

I just took the "BUICK" letters off the deck lid and see that they were held in with some kind of

fasteners. Can anyone tell me where these can be found to purchase?

Are the letters on a '64 the same? Mine are in good shape just want to know for later.

Thanks in advance.

13 hours ago, RivNut said:

They look something like this.  I don't know what size you need but I found these on the "Caddy Daddy" website.

5195.jpg

Am I right in assuming that you push these keepers onto the letter post then push the keeper & post through the hole in the hood? These keepers must be tiny!

I have a messed up set of 63 trunk letters (some pitting and a couple of broken studs) on reserve so I measured the studs for reference.  Using a drill bit guide, the studs measure 1/8".  But, the in BUICK is a tab that fits into a slot, not a stud for a hole.  I had no way of measuring the diameter of the hole in the trunk lid.

Caddy Daddy has a number of these barrel clips for 1/8" inch studs and different diameter holes.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly those barrel clips are round. Are the pins on the back of your letters round or kinda squared off???  I am almost sure that on the insignia on the deck-lid for '64 & '65 they are round.. BUT IF James says the ones you pictured are correct get those. Although I don't think they are.

Just my thoughts.

Tom T.

I have been following this thread because I have some "BUICK" letters that I obtained with a pile of first gen parts that I suspect are for the `63 Riv trunk lid. I`m confused as to whether the Riv letters had round pegs or square? I think Ed is correct regarding the letter "I" as I have one of those in the bunch and the square stud is broken off. It also makes sense they would use a square stud to keep the letter from rotating.

This is the auction in which James is selling the square clips:

eBay item number:
 James mentions needing 8 clips for the Riviera because the letter "I" uses a different clip?  Maybe Buick had 2 versions of the letters?
  Btw..in `65 Buick made 2 versions of the `65 rear panel "Riviera" script...one had round pegs and the other had square pegs! I sense a pattern here....
Tom Mooney
Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)

39 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

I have been following this thread because I have some "BUICK" letters that I obtained with a pile of first gen parts that I suspect are for the `63 Riv trunk lid. I`m confused as to whether the Riv letters had round pegs or square? I think Ed is correct regarding the letter "I" as I have one of those in the bunch and the square stud is broken off. It also makes sense they would use a square stud to keep the letter from rotating.

This is the auction in which James is selling the square clips:

eBay item number:
 James mentions needing 8 clips for the Riviera because the letter "I" uses a different clip?  Maybe Buick had 2 versions of the letters?
  Btw..in `65 Buick made 2 versions of the `65 rear panel "Riviera" script...one had round pegs and the other had square pegs! I sense a pattern here....
Tom Mooney

And the two 64's that I have owned had square pegs for the Riviera trunk script.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Pat Curran said:

And the two 64's that I have owned had square pegs for the Riviera trunk script.

I've got a couple of '64 trunk scripts and they're both fitted with rectangular tabs.  I'm looking for one that is in really good shape.  No pitting and shiny chrome.  Some vendors claim to have repos but they're trying to sell '65 emblems as 64s.  BUT they're different.  The 64 sets close to the top and has a slight curve on the top or the R in Riviera.  So, if anyone knows where I might find one, please let me know.

• Thanks 1

FWIIW, I used a white construction/adhesive/sealer and glued mine in. Mine had clips but were loose and was worried they could go walkabout somewhere on the road. Being a white ‘63, none of the glue showed and it did a great job of sealing all the holes.

just my two bobs worth

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀🤔

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/10/2019 at 10:30 AM, TheOldMan said:

I am starting to gather parts for my '63 Riv so it can be put together after paint.

I just took the "BUICK" letters off the deck lid and see that they were held in with some kind of

fasteners. Can anyone tell me where these can be found to purchase?

Are the letters on a '64 the same? Mine are in good shape just want to know for later.

Thanks in advance.

Old Man , don’t forget the tail light rubber mounts. You have the rubber mount for the entire tail light assembly AND the tail light lens rubber gasket. Try to save them they can be pricey.

Turbinator

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheOldMan said:

I will "T". Thanks for the information. Need all I can get.

1 hour ago, TheOldMan said:

I will "T". Thanks for the information. Need all I can get.

Old Man. Reason I know. First thing I saw when my car was purchased I had water in the trunk. Immediately, I installed a new Steele trunk gasket. Still leaked. A buddy of mine the size of jockey got in the trunk with a flash light. I closed the trunk and squirted the hose on the trunk. Leak was on the tail lights. I had to pay attention to the installation steps,with the gaskets and the clamps. DONT LOSE THE STUDS, they don’t make them any more. I ended up having to ground the metal 1157 bulb socket to to the car body so my tail lights would work right. If your lights are working good leave them alone.

Hope it helps

Turbinator

• 2 years later...

Regarding the square/rectangular tabs on the 64 "Riviera" trunk script (or any emblem for that matter), any suggestion(s) on how to replicate the slots in the sheet metal? I replaced my 64 trunk lid with one from a 65, and obvioulsy there are no holes in the 65 lid. This would not be a big deal if the emblem had round holes, could just drill them out. Other than pre-drilling two holes per slot and then filing the rest, i have no other ideas (other than using a 66 trunk script which has the round pins....)

If you look closely at the 1964 Riviera trunk emblem, you'll see that it is slightly rounded at the top to match the curve of the trunk.  I've yet to find another Riviera script that has that curve to it so I don't think that a 66 emblem would work.  No reproductions so off the the plater to make mine look new(ish) again. Would it be easier to reshape the pins on your emblem then drill a hole?

Yes, i understand the difference in the curve on the emblem...hence this was a 2nd option. 

You think you can grind those rectangular tabs down into round pins that will fit in barrel clips? What would you use, a bench grinder?

I was thinking i would make a template of the original slots from the original trunk lid drill them out and square them off with a precision file.

Thank you for the thought!

Maybe a Drexel tool but I couldn’t control everything using a bench grinder.  If you drill holes and square them, you’re going to break the paint seal where you drill and grind.  Have you considered cutting the tabs off and using an adhesive?