65 Riv Chrome Headlight Surround

Fred C Post

Hi Riv Restorers .I need to know if the left and right sides are identical or side specific. I have two that l know are both from passenger side fenders. They both  have " GUIDE 1368631 "  embossed on the inside edge. Would drivers side have a different number , thereby being different from passenger side ? Would the 1965 Buick Body Manual have this info? Also, what would be a reasonable price  to pay for a nice non pitted driver quality chrome surround? Thanks , Fred

7 minutes ago, Rivman said:

I know where there is an NOS pair, at least they were available a few months ago.

He only wanted a mere $1,600 for the pair back then.

I'm still thinking about getting them, but just haven't decided … yet.

Hi Randall,

Just a word of caution, be careful when paying a premium for NOS...I have owned and sold these NOS fender edge trims in the past because the quality of the NOS was inferior to excellent used IMO, the quality seems to be hit and miss,

Tom

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

Hi Randall,

Just a word of caution, be careful when paying a premium for NOS...I have owned and sold these NOS fender edge trims in the past because the quality of the NOS was inferior to excellent used IMO, the quality seems to be hit and miss,

Tom

There is a reason why some parts are rejected and go back on the shelf.  NOS is definitely hit or miss.

1 hour ago, Pat Curran said:

There is a reason why some parts are rejected and go back on the shelf.  NOS is definitely hit or miss.

I've heard stories about how a part is replaced under warranty and the replaced part is reshelved in the box and put back on the shelf and because it's in the original box and came off the shelf, it's  NOS.  😱

OK Riviera People: I got blasted by the best for sayin' this.  There is NO SUCH THING  as new old stock. It ain't new if it was made 50 years ago. It's UNUSED OLD STOCK.  Like several people cautioned, don't fall into that stupid trap.  $1,600 for UNUSED  Cathedrals?  Not on my watch.   Mitch

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Hi Randall,

Tom

Thanks for the words of caution Tom.

I have a few in P.O.S. condition ... 

really though ... that would be a great part for reproduction !!  I can’t imagine if they were able to do the intricate 65 taillight bezels that those would be any harder to do ??  I know it takes a lot of time and capital to get a part reproduced , but with the new scanning tools and 3D printing ,,, 

Who knows , could already be in the works!

37 minutes ago, pyntre said:

I have a few in P.O.S. condition ... 

really though ... that would be a great part for reproduction !!  I can’t imagine if they were able to do the intricate 65 taillight bezels that those would be any harder to do ??  I know it takes a lot of time and capital to get a part reproduced , but with the new scanning tools and 3D printing ,,, 

Who knows , could already be in the works!

Smart man......but I would expect the repros to also be pricey,

Tom

• 5 months later...

That is the best deal Ive seen on cathedral moldings(still, ouch!). You can't hold them of course, but the one pictured is quite nice, & CARS is a reputable supplier. It will probably cost more to have yours rechromed, & I know Ive seen used ones priced even higher.

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 5:50 PM, RivNut said:

I've heard stories about how a part is replaced under warranty and the replaced part is reshelved in the box and put back on the shelf and because it's in the original box and came off the shelf, it's  NOS.  😱

Being in the parts business for 30 years, I have had that happen to me when I pull a supposedly NEW part off the shelf only to find out when I show it to the customer that it was a warranty return part that was accidentally binned instead of being placed on the warranty shelf where it belongs. Talk about embarrassing.

NOS is hit or miss.  I went to my local Buick dealer in the late 70"s to see if he had any hood ornaments for my 64 as mine was faded and pitted.  He responded that he did and that he wanted to finally get them off the shelf.  He offered to sell me every one for $20 total.  There were eight in the big box and each one was in the smaller GM boxes.  I thought I got one hell of a deal.  The chrome was somewhat rough and the finish resembled an orange peel paint job.  I was somewhat disappointed but they were better than what I had.  I ended up keeping 2 for myself and sold the rest at a swap meet in the 90's for $20.00 each!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JZRIV said:

Had no idea CARs reproduced these but I don't follow the 65 stuff too close. Anyone know how long they have been available and has anyone here bought and installed? If these fit nice $269 is a great price.

The bezel is listed on their website as "New Products For July" so I am guessing brand new.

On their website they are listed at $249.50, of course that would be plus tax and shipping too. So, it is anyone's guess which would be a better deal, buying them directly or from ebay?

If I was anywhere close to being ready I would try them, but I'm not there yet, unfortunately.