Buick Deluxe Heater

Daves1940Buick56S

My 1938 heater is missing the cover and defrost fan for some reason. I managed to pick up another one with the defroster. It has been repainted I think. So I am going to get it blasted and redo.

1. What is the original color and texture? Isn't it brown crackle? The one I have is a reddish gray hammertone.

2. Is the center decorative piece chrome? Mine is worn and it looks like the base metal is copper colored.

Thanks, Dave

20190213_184654.thumb.jpg.472a772fe3d5ab5e707dd89fbd736baa.jpg

I think that they were originally a brown color with texture. Just from looking at mine, I think that the center decorative strip was nickel instead of chrome. If it was chrome, mine sure was very thin. Any attempt to buff it takes the finish off leaving copper color.

• Like 1

Dave :

I spent quite a bit of time redoing my heater /defogger in my 1937. Flushed out the heater core. Painted and touched up everything. It sure looks nice. But, after a good cleaning, lube and new wiring the motors still do not work worth a darn!

DSCF2304.thumb.JPG.8dfd5b706b0df2e3cf06f9af5bd14e58.JPG  DSCF3930.thumb.JPG.9075f2035aa6db205837898b41f88403.JPG 

DSCF3944.thumb.JPG.cc3a482b4f447d89484b7bb8461f1449.JPG

I just bought a 39 and am trying to get familiar with it. Heater works great but I found a turn type switch under dash on passenger side that powers the defrost fan and it does not work. Good to see you guys picks of it. Can it be removed without removing entire heater assembly and repaired? U guys picks looks like it has prob. 4 screws and remove.  

OK, I see that the defroster setup is the same brown color so I will repaint mine. I found a place locally to get it sandblasted, also a rechromer who does small parts. He does nickel also so we will see what's what when I take it in. I will paint the body in the black wrinkle finish and then overcoat with the brown. I should be able to get the process started next week, will update with pics as I go.

Cheers, Dave

Since we are talking about '38 and '39, I just thought I'd toss in that my '40 has the heater under the floor board under the front passenger's seat, with the air coming up under the  seat. The heater core hoses go along the frame to a metal Harrison heater and fan which hang down under the car so of course became rusted decades ago. It's still there but I only drive my car in the summer so I don't care.

Edited by Morgan Wright (see edit history)

On 2/21/2019 at 9:53 AM, Morgan Wright said:

Since we are talking about '38 and '39, I just thought I'd toss in that my '40 has the heater under the floor board under the front passenger's seat, with the air coming up under the  seat. The heater core hoses go along the frame to a metal Harrington heater and fan which hang down under the car so of course became rusted decades ago. It's still there but I only drive my car in the summer so I don't care.

Boy that sounds like a terrible design.