40hp or larger chassis wtd

mercer09

There is horsepower and horsepower. Even the term 'rated' for the 1913-14 Cadillac is confusing because it has the same cylinder bore as the previous models, so developed more hp than the older models even though it was still a 30 hp. 48 hp was its actual developed power output.

I am not sure of the exact origins of the use of horsepower - as it applies to cars - because not many makers had dynamometers to measure the actual output of their cars. Right from the start hp figures were used to describe cars - usually at about 8 hp/litre, although the bigger ones often made less - for example the 60 hp Mercedes of 1903 was actually 9.2 litres, and the 60 hp Americans of the circa 1910 era were all over 10 litres.

The 'tax' horsepower system of 2.5 times the bore times the number of cylinders divided by 2.5 was only used in the UK to actually tax cars as far as I know, although the NACC in the US used it for comparisons. It took no account of the cylinder stroke of course, and that lead, in the UK where it was introduced in the early 1920s, to a whole generation of small bore, long stroke, engines. The Ford T has the unique distinction of being the only engine that was taxed at a higher rate (22 hp)  than it actually developed.

I think the original poster in the thread was simply looking for a big old chassis.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 7:30 AM, mercer09 said:

looking for a 40 hp or larger chassis complete

up to 1914.

what do you have?

rdz69@aol.com

I know of a 1912 Cole 30/40 Chassis in California that has two engines with it that could be for sale.  The person that has it, bought it for a speedster/race car project but never got around to building it.  I have not seen it myself, but know of it and who has it.  The Cole 30/40 was 122" wheel base 42HP and was popular for stock racing and hill climbs.  All Cole 2 person speedsters were tested on the Indy speedway and guaranteed to go 65mph.  

1912.jpg

19122.jpg

19123.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pre10 said:

"Cruise a comfortable 65mph" You are going to need something bigger than 40hp.

Nah, if geared right with next to no body, you can get those speeds comfortably out of a lot less.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have several 1916 and 1917 Kissel model 6-38 and 6-45 frames and 6-38 engines in various stages of rust that I’ve amassed thru the years. I’ll mever get to them all. They are restorable if you have the time. Lots of 6-38 spare parts. Sorry, nothing earlier. These were 60 HP beasts, custom made. If interested, PM me.

Ron Hausmann P.E. 

57EDBE52-B128-41F7-A50A-737BF96EB69B.jpeg

61EF77D4-2C9D-4727-A04C-3608BBDEA323.jpeg

FBBC52D0-962A-4EE1-AE86-D0D6663A1300.jpeg

RON,

THANK YOU VERY MUCH. NOW YOU HAVE ME THINKING...........

I dont want to assemble a bunch of parts, because in the end, I will be upside down. I am looking for a complete chassis, but like the idea of something in the late teens with higher hp to get to where Im trying to go.

image.thumb.png.3db96a6d1a91eb56b4b3e31d5558406d.png

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...