Unless I'm missing something, this Ebay auction

seems suspect.  There is no location given other

than "USA";  no phone number for contact or

identification.  And the good-looking convertible,

currently bid to $7999, has already passed a reserve

if there was one.

What do others think?

s-l1600.jpg

When I shared the link, the ad still said "reserve not met." I noticed the lack of a specific location, but I have seen that before. I agree though, when you combine the low reserve, lack of specific location, along with no interior or engine pictures, the ad does seem suspect. Fine by me if the moderator removes this topic, or everyone can just enjoy the pictures of a rare car in nice condition. As always, buyer beware!

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Could be legit.  Even with A reserve if there was one and it was met or the seller chose to just remove it.  They can still end the auction up until the last day with no repercussion so if it doesn't hit a number they want they can always pull it or I wouldn't be surprised if they had a buddy to make sure it got high enough.  Lots of what ifs.  Lots of people are lazy as well,  thus we see alot of poorly done auctions/ ads. 

Nice looking car, for sure, but I agree about the Ebay auction being suspect.  Combine the lack of specific location, no photos of the engine or interior, with the fact that the seller has only listed a Coach handbag in previous Ebay sales.  It has red flags all over it.

• Like 1

Could be one of those deals where the seller will take a deposit, then you never hear another word from them.

I got scammed out of $200. The seller had positive feedback. I made a purchase and sent the "postal money order" as the auction required back then. eBay no longer allows that as a sole payment option. But anyway, even though the seller had positive feedback, I later found he had 5 pending disputes for failure to deliver paid for items. The other buyers had not been able to leave negative feedback while their disputes were being looked into. I should have, but didn't, know about those pending disputes. So, it was a good seller, who decided to go rogue, rip off a bunch of people all at once, then disappear.

I had bid on a touring bicycle, a vintage Trek, and lost out on it. eBay then recommended to me to buy this other "similar" bike with a "buy now" on it. Which i did and there's where I got scammed. So eBay recommended me to buy the bike from this other fellow when they knew he had several pending disputes against him.

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

No deposit required when purchasing this one. Just full payment by cashiers check within 3 days.

Payment details - Full Payment

Payment method    Preferred / Accepted     Money order/Cashiers check Accepted

Full payment is required within 3 days of auction close

I contacted the seller and he did send lots of photos I had asked to see like engine trunk dashboard under chassis etc and they were quite large and clear. I did think leather seat door panel and welting fit was a bit sloppy but its a spectacular car located in Blaine WA. Owner said he could help with shipping?  That always makes me suspect as does a no reserve for what should be a six figure car. Having no reserve might also mean less ebay cost as owner can always end auction early or have a friend bid a high number at the end. I would not want to do a bank transfer and would only do a cash in person transaction even if it meant flying out there. If owner didn't agree to cash in person then its a scam for sure. Cant see the car being sold for less then 50K and that would be a bargain price. 

Sort of hijacking my own thread, but the reason the subject convertible caught my eye was that I previously owned a very nice '36 Airstream coupe that I very much regret selling. It went to England to a gentleman who wanted it to go with his Airstream convertible. Here's some pictures of my coupe. Coupe or convertible, they are really nice cars when restored, and not often seen. The single spare tire on my coupe was stored not in the trunk, but behind the front seat on the passenger side.

1936 Chrysler 1.jpg

1936 Chrysler 2.jpg

1936 Chrysler 3.jpg

1936 Chrysler 4.jpg

1936 Chrysler 5.jpg

1936 chrysler 6.jpg

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Penske PC-7 said:

...The single spare tire on my coupe was stored not in the trunk, but behind the front seat on the passenger side...

Same for most, if not all, late-30s ChryCo coupes - did it have the shelves on the driver side?  That's a nice car - I can see why you regret selling.

16 minutes ago, CHuDWah said:

Same for most, if not all, late-30s ChryCo coupes - did it have the shelves on the driver side?  That's a nice car - I can see why you regret selling.

Yes

I reported the ad to ebay as a suspected fraudulent listing. Unfortunately, ebay format does not allow me to give a detailed explanation.  I also sent the seller a question asking why he is telling people the car is located in several different places. I think ebay monitors messages. Hopefully, ebay will give the ad a second look. If it is legitimate, then no harm done.

3 hours ago, SparkEE said:

I too contacted the seller and received more pictures, but rather than Blaine, Wa (I’m in Washington), it was located in Pittsburgh, PA.

Beware!

Good detective work, SparkEE and Mr. Helfand.

Since a car can't be in two far-apart states at once,

you've evidently proven that the "seller" is a liar and

a criminal.

Car fans stick together and get rid of the chaff!

3 hours ago, Oregon Desert model 45 said:

This car was listed on bringatrailer.com:  Sold For $45,500 On 10/17/18

there are a lot more photos of the car on this site too.

You answered the question before I had a chance to ask it: Where were the pictures stolen from.

Sometimes this can be discovered simply by "right click" on the picture, then choose the option in the pop-up window "search google for image." Then you may see the exact same image among a bunch of images, but it will be from another website besides eBay or Craigslist, and likely a much more reputable antique car dealer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mike6024 said:

...Sometimes this can be discovered simply by "right click" on the picture, then choose the option in the pop-up window "search google for image." 

Thanks, Mike, for this helpful tip.

I knew how to search Google Images for a specific image,

but not by this short-handed method of right-clicking.

We definitely all learn from each other on this forum.