RE: ROBERTWILLIAM

George Smolinski

One person noted that the cars for sale

to which he links are listed by various people.

That implies that the cars are not his own.

We think he, like others here, is simply 

pointing out interesting cars for us to notice.

It would be nice if he would write something else

and introduce himself.  Robert William, who are you?

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I see that the last couple of cars that ROBERTWILLIAM posted info on in 'Cars forSale' have mysteriously disappeared. Looks like it doesn't take much to be booted off the forum. I guess simply posting links to interesting orphan cars is reason to be banned and your posts deleted?

I for one enjoyed looking at the for sale cars he posted, especially the Studebakers and Packards. 

• Like 2

In one thread of his, a member recently pointed out

that the user "Robert William" used another alias on the

Cadillac-LaSalle Club forum.  The moderator of

that forum investigated and found, reportedly,

that he was a spammer.

In all of his postings, he never once made a comment.

He never participated in any other discussions.

It was very odd.

36 minutes ago, r1lark said:

I see that the last couple of cars that ROBERTWILLIAM posted info on in 'Cars forSale' have mysteriously disappeared. Looks like it doesn't take much to be booted off the forum. I guess simply posting links to interesting orphan cars is reason to be banned and your posts deleted?

I for one enjoyed looking at the for sale cars he posted, especially the Studebakers and Packards. 

I understand your frustration with the missing links. Didn't you find it odd that he never posted anything but eBay links?  I did and I said so in one of the threads that got deleted. 

The links ROBERTWILLIAM posted were not what they appeared to be.  They were disguised as legitimate eBay links but when clicked they directed you to a third party website before redirecting you to eBay.  It's called link cloaking.  I don't know if it is specifically against the rules but it should be because it's deceitful and underhanded.  At the very least those links could have been earning him a commission for you clicking the link and it's possible they were tracking you on the internet or even worse.  Who knows for sure what his motives were for posting those links but I can assure you it wasn't in the best interest of forum members.   I think the decision to ban him was a good one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I understand your frustration with the missing links. Didn't you find it odd that he never posted anything but eBay links?  I did and I said so in one of the threads that got deleted. 

The links ROBERTWILLIAM posted were not what they appeared to be.  They were disguised as legitimate eBay links but when clicked they directed you to a third party website before redirecting you to eBay.  It's called link cloaking.  I don't know if it is specifically against the rules but it should be because it's deceitful and underhanded.  At the very least those links could have been earning him a commission for you clicking the link and it's possible they were tracking you on the internet or even worse.  Who knows for sure what his motives were for posting those links but I can assure you it wasn't in the best interest of forum members.   I think the decision to ban him was a good one.

Learn something new every day. thanks for pointing that out

• Like 1