Find the Buick

Elpad

Yeah, I had a feeling it was the real deal because I didn't recognize any of the cars from the movie.  But it's got to be later than 1953 because there are several '57's in the photo, including the CHP car, so RetroPlanet is off by a few years.  And ... when I scrolled down on the page I found this shot from the filming of American Grafitti.

AG_Mels.jpg.7618e5d8eca8a4526a00158967db7583.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neil morse said:

Yeah, I had a feeling it was the real deal because I didn't recognize any of the cars from the movie.  But it's got to be later than 1953 because there are several '57's in the photo, including the CHP car, so RetroPlanet is off by a few years.  And ... when I scrolled down on the page I found this shot from the filming of American Grafitti.

AG_Mels.jpg.7618e5d8eca8a4526a00158967db7583.jpg

Just went by what they published, dint look at the cars except the 53 Buick.

Of course -- I understand you were just repeating the date that they gave.

I had an interesting conversation a few weeks ago with a guy who worked for Mel's at the time that American Grafitti was filmed (1973).   They closed the place down and George Lucas paid all the employees during the period plus paid the company for the estimated lost profits.  And Mel's used the down time to refinish the floors, so it was a win-win-win for them.

41 minutes ago, Elpad said:

The first one I spotted is the 58 parked as the third car parked on the left side of the street Facing the camera

I see a '50 in the traffic lane just to the right of the '58 you mention, and also another '58 two cars behind the '50.  Then a '55 just coming in from the right in the lower right hand corner.  I haven't had the patience to search the parking lot yet!

5 hours ago, neil morse said:

I see a '50 in the traffic lane just to the right of the '58 you mention, and also another '58 two cars behind the '50.  Then a '55 just coming in from the right in the lower right hand corner.  I haven't had the patience to search the parking lot yet!

The 50 coming at you could be Ben’s car. It has a sun visor.

Post Castro at my hometown of Santa Clara, 🇨🇺. The old drug store building sits in a corner frequently visit by tourist thus the Fresh paint but if you walk couple of blocks away, You can clearly see deterioration. Notice the spear moldings missing on the car.

7D31C6A1-041A-4925-9561-10E4BD10C8C0.jpeg

Edited by Elpad (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2020 at 2:03 PM, Elpad said:

Post Castro at my hometown of Santa Clara, 🇨🇺. The old drug store building sits in a corner frequently visit by tourist thus the Fresh paint but if you walk couple of blocks away, You can clearly see deterioration. Notice the spear moldings missing on the car.

7D31C6A1-041A-4925-9561-10E4BD10C8C0.jpeg

OK , 56 Special or Century 4 dr hdtp , but it has a rear door vent window

and frame around around the glass . NOT !!! They never made a 56 4 dr hdtp

with a quarter window ???????????????

Bill

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Elpad said:

0200B7B8-FF9C-4204-8443-202EB8600CD1.jpeg

Wow, the MDC really did hate it when then Governor Mike "army tank driver" Dukakis folded them under the Massachusetts State Police!  Was a very political event as I remember it.  Most MDC officers ended up getting fired or laid off. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dship said:

Wow, the MDC really did hate it when then Governor Mike "army tank driver" Dukakis folded them under the Massachusetts State Police!  Was a very political event as I remember it.  Most MDC officers ended up getting fired or laid off. 

Went through two mergers while in law enforcement career, not a pretty picture.