Just found this at the shop

nick8086

At age 14 I took my Grandparents octopus coal furnace out and installed a new "Chrysler Air Temp" furnace (we hired a licensed gas man to install the gas pipes and the SS flue up the three storey chimney. An absolute dream of a furnace.  I wired it so that fan ran low speed all the time except when the furnace kicked in and it ran at high speed. This did away with  that blast of cold air that you usually get when  a furnace kicks in.

Yep, Chrysler's 'Airtemp Division'.  I've seen lots of Airtemp window-shaker A/C units, as well as some furnaces as seen above.  For years, Chrysler claimed their Airtemp Division supplied components for their car air conditioners, and proudly displayed an "Air Conditioned by Airtemp" decal in one of the windows on cars so equipped.  

Craig

The Delco division of GM also made home heating cooling equipment.  For a time I lived in a rental property that had a Delco oil fired furnace in it.  The house was built in the 1950s and the furnace looked like it dated to that timeframe.

Without argument, GM's biggest household 'contribution' was their Frigidaire appliances, which some were very stylish in a mid-century modern way.  Apparently, Bill Mitchell also designed their 'Sheerline' 1957 models which was very modern for the time, and got away from the rounded look that was common to appliances previous to that.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

Here’s a trinket from the very beginning of Frigidaire, from what I was told, when you bought one of their first electric refrigerators they would engrave one of these sterling medallions with you monogram and attach it to the front. It came from a great uncle of mine who had an appliance store in the 1920’s g

6260E609-D4D6-4B5C-AC55-279FAF27445B.jpeg

In 1976 I was working on a high-rise building and instead of window a/c's . They installed a two pipe cooling and heating system with a Chrysler Centrifugal Chiller on a floating floor in the mechanical room on the roof .

That unit must of lasted 30 years as they replaced it about 10 years ago . They probably could not get parts ? Just like the old elevators they can not get the parts .

https://www.allpar.com/corporate/airtemp.php

Edited by Mark Gregory (see edit history)

Good old Chrysler Air Temp. Mostly seen with air conditioning around here, home and commercial.

Seems most American car companies had an appliance division. Chrysler-AirTemp, GM-Frigidare and Delco Heat, AMC- Nash-Kelvinator, Ford-Philco, Crosley-Crosley (same name on appliances as the car).

4 minutes ago, Frank DuVal said:

Good old Chrysler Air Temp. Mostly seen with air conditioning around here, home and commercial.

Seems most American car companies had an appliance division. Chrysler-AirTemp, GM-Frigidare and Delco Heat, AMC- Nash-Kelvinator, Ford-Philco, Crosley-Crosley (same name on appliances as the car).

So did Studebaker, who bought out Franklin Manufacturing, and Hupp Corporation who bought out Perfection Stove and Gibson appliances.

Craig

• Like 1

We bought our house new in 1967 and it has its original Chrysler Air Temp gas furnace, still going strong.  Its ac unit lasted 34 years.
I had a new Carrier gas furnace and ac put in a rental house, and after just 16 years the ac died, and my hvac guy says the heat exchanger in the furnace may go any time.   And I've had $1,000 in repairs on it so far. 

23 hours ago, 8E45E said:

So did Studebaker, who bought out Franklin Manufacturing, and Hupp Corporation who bought out Perfection Stove and Gibson appliances.

Craig

My parents were Hupmobile enthusiasts for most of my life, and I remember my Mom telling me that the Hupp Motor co never really disappeared. She said they merely never returned to unprofitable auto manufacturing after enjoying good profits during production of war materials. She indicated that Hupp began manufacturing Gibson Appliances and Hercules engines, among other things. I later understood that Frigidaire bought out Gibson, and then White bought out Frigidaire. So, one way of looking at things is that Hupp never really disappeared...they just got absorbed. 

2 hours ago, lump said:

My parents were Hupmobile enthusiasts for most of my life, and I remember my Mom telling me that the Hupp Motor co never really disappeared. She said they merely never returned to unprofitable auto manufacturing after enjoying good profits during production of war materials. She indicated that Hupp began manufacturing Gibson Appliances and Hercules engines, among other things. I later understood that Frigidaire bought out Gibson, and then White bought out Frigidaire. So, one way of looking at things is that Hupp never really disappeared...they just got absorbed. 

That is correct. 

Like Graham-Paige, and Studebaker in the 1960's, Hupp became a holding company only, and their most familiar product name went away. 

Craig

• Like 1

There used to be a Chrysler-Airtemp factory here in the Dayton, Ohio area. I was under the impression that MOPAR air condition systems for motor vehicles was one of their main products, but I don't know that for sure. 

Somewhere around here I have an old Chrysler-Airtemp tape measure, I think. I'll have to look for that.