Oil Pressure

broker-len

32 Plymouth---rebuilt motor-----have been having oil pressure issues-----the pump was rebuilt by a respected rebuilder----took the pump apart and found the wrong and worn drive gear and shaft and worn idler gear      replaced with new parts,,,tightened all the lines going and coming from pump and it seems my problem is solved------------------------"IF YOU WANT ANYTHING DONE DO IT YOURSELF "

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Contact the rebuilder.  Everybody makes mistakes--

maybe a box on the shelf was mislabeled, or he had

an intern working for him that week.

If he's as respected as you say, he'll recompense you in some way.

I agree with John whole-heartedly.  I'm also sure that the rebuilder would want to know if one of this jobs was not up to standards.

Let us know what the rebuilder says/does.

Cheers,

Grog

Last year I had an engine professionally rebuilt from the bottom up by local one man shop, on a recommendation of a very good friend of mine who is also a top mechanic . When I got the engine back and installed it, it ran great for about 3000 miles and then I started getting a "rattle" in the top of the engine. Good thing it was a "modern" engine [1988 Buick 3800] as the rattle ruined the cam sensor. I put another cam sensor in and it was ruined immediatley. Took it to my mechanic friend for his opinion and he determined it was loose cam sprocket bolts. Took the front of the engine off and sure enough, never tightened and no thread lock. Called the builder and asked for some cam bolts as the old ones were ruined. He didn't have time to look so I drove over and then we looked together and  found some [dealer did not have any]. Put the engine back together and I then went back with a bill for time spent and various parts. He willingly paid and then apoligized but took no blame.  

I'm now another 12,000 miles on the engine and everything is good. But I still think back and say to myself, "Just how much does one have to check"?

I think I originally asked for new gears----------the shop told me there was I clip that would be removed to take the gears out------when I got the gears I could not get the clip out   shop told me to send to him and he would rebuild------------------when I opened it up last month I found the wrong drive gears     since I am not sure what was in the pump originally   so the reason for my post is-------A OWNER SHOULD EDUCATE HIMSELF BEFORE YOU PAY ANY ONE TO DO ANYTHING--and check when it is done------------------

Why whenever possible I do my own work. Am too slow to make it professionally but that is because I double and triple check everything. Made enough misteaks when a yout and then learned aircraft.

Helps to be able to tie up a stall and the car for as long as it takes.

There are a lot of people out there with pretty good reputations that screw things up.  The real proof of what they do is what they do to fix things that they messed up.  Not everybody fixes their mistakes.  I have had experience with highly regarded people  with magazine articles about their work say they would rectify their mistakes and then change their minds about fixing something and then refuse to return your broken parts.  I even flew across the country to sue the guy.  Details in an earlier post of mine.