1977 Seville Update

MarkV

Hello All! I wanted to update you about my 1977 Seville that I saved from the scrap heap. My wife bought it for me for our anniversary and had it repaired for my birthday! After getting the camshaft and Lifters done it still would not pass smog. I ended up replacing the fuel pump, coolant sensor, catalytic converter and while I was at it had the a/c retrofitted (its 110 degrees here!). All of the accessories have also been replaced along with the timing chain and radiator and all the hoses and belts. It passed smog and I have been driving it for two weeks. So far so good! It does use an inordinate amount of gas (I am getting around 10mpg) and every once in a while the temperature gauge warning light goes off with the a/c on and driving up a hill or highway speed. It quickly shuts off, so I am thinking of adding that coolant additive that lowers temperatures and perhaps switching the sender back to the original one that was on there when I got it to see if that makes any difference (maybe the sender is too sensitive?). 

I still have to get new tires, but, I took it up to where my grandparents are buried. They had a seville that was the clone to mine, and I had many nice drives with them in it and I always think of them when I am driving. I have a few photos of them with theirs in my glovebox of the Cadillac.  

20180809_173541.jpg

• Like 2

That must be a satisfying accomplishment:

To find a Seville just like your grandparents'

and to save an antique car for posterity!

Just wondering:  Is your smog-check an annual

occurrence, or just once when you bring it into

your state?  Does it apply to all years of antiques,

or just to certain newer years?  Thankfully, most

of America is more accommodating to antique cars,

because we don't want any more impediments to

people owning and enjoying them.  Congratulations

on passing.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MarkV said:

and every once in a while the temperature gauge warning light goes off with the a/c on and driving up a hill or highway speed. It quickly shuts off, so I am thinking of adding that coolant additive that lowers temperatures and perhaps switching the sender back to the original one that was on there when I got it to see if that makes any difference (maybe the sender is too sensitive?). 

GREAT JOB!! Congratulations. glad to hear something got saved and you were able to defeat CA emissions and corrected the problem. Just proving the formula M X D = S  (Money X Determination = Success)

I know this sounds crazy about your coolant light, but look at the owners manual, it might be normal for it to come on. A few years ago  I had a 78 Buick Skyhawk and the same thing would happen with the A/C on and it clearly said in the owners manual that this was normal and to shut the A/C off until the condition goes away. I know it is hard to believe but... we need to remember that the late 70's was far from GM's peak of excellence. I would like to think that Cadillac was a little more sophisticated and better engineered. I came upon it by accident when reading the manual and I was taken back that this was acceptable.     

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TerryB said:

Is your car titled as antique or something similar?  I’m not familiar with CA registration designations for older cars.

Nope titled just as all cars, I can register it as a historic vehicle, but, mine has the original plates on it. Also historic vehicle has no special registration price, etc. 

2 hours ago, John348 said:

GREAT JOB!! Congratulations. glad to hear something got saved and you were able to defeat CA emissions and corrected the problem. Just proving the formula M X D = S  (Money X Determination = Success)

I know this sounds crazy about your coolant light, but look at the owners manual, it might be normal for it to come on. A few years ago  I had a 78 Buick Skyhawk and the same thing would happen with the A/C on and it clearly said in the owners manual that this was normal and to shut the A/C off until the condition goes away. I know it is hard to believe but... we need to remember that the late 70's was far from GM's peak of excellence. I would like to think that Cadillac was a little more sophisticated and better engineered. I came upon it by accident when reading the manual and I was taken back that this was acceptable.     

I noted that in the manual, however, its the engine temp light that goes off I just realized, I figure they have the same purpose, I did follow the guideline and the 'stop engine temperature' light went out. But it is 110 degrees, I have replaced everything to do with the cooling system. They also told me there would be a break in period with the new engine parts. 

Newer cars have an extra electric fan in front of the radiator to assist the engine driven fan when the air is on. I have seen this on German cars. You might add an electric fan with a thermo switch, or a manual switch you can turn on if the heat light comes on.

Also the gas mileage seems very low unless that is in heavy traffic. On a long hiway trip at 60 - 70 you should get over 20 MPG.

11 hours ago, MarkV said:

I noted that in the manual, however, its the engine temp light that goes off I just realized, I figure they have the same purpose, I did follow the guideline and the 'stop engine temperature' light went out. But it is 110 degrees, I have replaced everything to do with the cooling system. They also told me there would be a break in period with the new engine parts. 

If you're not sure about what's going on with your cooling system, you could get an infrared thermometer to verify whether or not you have a problem.  I've found that the best place to check the temperature is at the point where the coolant leaves the engine or the point where it enters the radiator ... which ever is most convenient.  These infrared thermometers are widely available and are inexpensive.  Below is a link to one available at Walmart:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Laser-Infrared-Thermometer-Nice-Non-Contact-LCD-IR-Laser-Infrared-Temperature-Meter-Thermometer-yellow-black/225754708?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227165030873&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=279301889912&wl4=pla-468300409175&wl5=9011777&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=225754708&wl13=&veh=sem

Cheers,

Grog