WTB '65 wheel

RIVNIK

I may have already asked this several times over the years.....Does anyone have or has anyone seen a '65 standard (non-"wood") steering wheel for sale? Preferably black in nice condition complete w horn bar & mounting hardware. Seems to be an oddly rare item. Thanks Drew

They come up once in a while but keep in mind that there are two versions of the horn bar in 65 for the standard wheel.  They are all the same dimension but one has two added chrome spears imbedded in the plastic on both outer edges of the horn bar.  Not sure when in production the spears were removed but some people think they were early production.  Can someone confirm?

3 hours ago, Pat Curran said:

They come up once in a while but keep in mind that there are two versions of the horn bar in 65 for the standard wheel.  They are all the same dimension but one has two added chrome spears imbedded in the plastic on both outer edges of the horn bar.  Not sure when in production the spears were removed but some people think they were early production.  Can someone confirm?

Yes, Pat.....the very early August and September 65 Rivieras had the silver spears in the horn bar. Sometime in October they were no longer used.

1 hour ago, lrlforfun said:

OK Drew:  The interchange is also 66 Le Sabre Custom, Wildcat and Electra.  The horn bar? They don't grow on trees but are around...  Mitch

Mitch,

Are the horn bars the same except for the emblem?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pat Curran said:

Got pictures by any chance?

39 minutes ago, arnulfo de l.a. said:

Got pictures by any chance?

Here's a pic of the interior of my Dad's 65 Riviera he ordered new  in July 1964, vin number 494475H900633 built  around September 1, 1964 with the very rare early build only

silver bars in the horn bar. Also note the factory use of the 1964 glove box door emblem on a 65 model Riviera.

SAVE0003.JPG

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Thar is a nice looking wheel!  Just a note, finding a mint plastic black 65 steering wheel is harder than finding a mint wood wheel.  I have only seen a few for sale years ago. Another option is having yours wrapped in leather by good shop.  I have seen it done on Caddy wheels and it's nice.  Just a thought.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

Yes, Pat.....the very early August and September 65 Rivieras had the silver spears in the horn bar. Sometime in October they were no longer used.

Winston,

Where did you obtain this info regarding time frame? If it appeared in The Riview I guess I missed it?

Tom

BTW, NICE pic of the dash in your Dad`s car. Maybe the first day of production, possibly the second.

9 minutes ago, lrlforfun said:

OK  ED: The  66 horn bar has vinyl grained coating. I believe all were black.  Mitch

I guess my question is: Are all 65 full sized steering wheels the same except for the horn bar? And, if so, can the medallion in the horn bars be swapped? Not having to look for a Riviera specific steering wheel might open up some possibilities.

I have a black standard wheel in very above average condition complete with horn bar, a few small cracks on the back where you wouldn't see them and a few very restorable ones on the face, the horn bar is perfect, the silver trim around the outer surface  needs the most attention. If you'd like some pictures let me know where to send them, $75.00 plus actual shipping costs, I believe the horn bar alone is worth that, let me know/Paul

• Like 2

On 7/14/2018 at 9:50 PM, RivNut said:

I guess my question is: Are all 65 full sized steering wheels the same except for the horn bar? And, if so, can the medallion in the horn bars be swapped? Not having to look for a Riviera specific steering wheel might open up some possibilities.

The steering wheel is the same for 454, LeSabre Custom 464 Wildcat Deluxe series and 466 Wildcat Custom series- they have the ring on the wheel.  Frame of the horn bars are the same. 

Plastic medallions held in place with metal tabs and maybe a bit of yellow glue.  I thought the  different Riviera  horn medallion designs were standard trim vs custom?  

In LeSabre/Wildcat world there are  2 designs- standard trim and lower series Lesabre had a chrome with center Buick trishield, upper series got the black with silver lines, tri shield center.

Lower level series had a plain steering wheel without the trim ring embedded.  Yeah, we need pictures!  Ted

On 7/14/2018 at 6:52 PM, 1965rivgs said:

Winston,

Where did you obtain this info regarding time frame? If it appeared in The Riview I guess I missed it?

Tom

BTW, NICE pic of the dash in your Dad`s car. Maybe the first day of production, possibly the second.

Personal observation.......I have seen October built cars without the silver bars

On 7/13/2018 at 7:23 PM, Seafoam65 said:

It`s entirely possible this horn bar has been changed but this appears to be a relatively unmolested `65. Note the Jan `65 build date and the "early" horn bar, ebay item #123258682439 .  Doesnt "prove" anything, just throwing this out there....

Tom

• 2 weeks later...