1964 Buick Electra 225, 30k original miles, $15K obo

DaveBmaryland

I need help selling my 1964 Buick Electra and some of my friends told me to check the forums, and here I am.

This one is in really good shape.  I say almost perfect based on the feedback I’ve received from people that have come to look at it.  I’ve been told that I shouldn’t sell it.  Ive been told I should take it to car shows.  Ive been told I should keep it for my kids.  I have decided I am going to sell it.  

My uncle left it to me several years ago. He bought it from the filmmaker of Runaway Bride. They incorrectly say the year in the movie, but this was the car they used. Had the streamers on it when he bought it. Awesome car. All original, down to the chrome around the gas fill. I have taken good care of it since he passed. Runs beautifully, I just need space in my garage. My wife and I want to keep it, but we just don’t have the room... it’s a big car, and just not our thing.. as horrible as that is to say. I want this thing to go to someone else who will appreciate it. ~30K original miles. Power everything. Interior gorgeous. Engine bay clean. Original paint. Someone that came to look at it told me it still has the factory undercoat, and it’s in really good shape.  People say that this car needs to go to car shows, and I really don’t have time for that, even though I do try to go when I can.

When I got it shortly after he passed I rebuilt the carb, put new guts in it. I obviously changed all plugs,etc. I put magnetic points in it.  I had to replace the fuel pump because it was leaking. I replaced the master cylinder because my wife wouldn’t let me drive it unless I did some work on the brakes.  It has one small dent on the front driver side. I don’t know where it came from, but with something like this you don’t mess with it unless you know what you are doing, and I don’t know what I’m doing in that area.  Power antenna doesn’t work. Haven’t tried to fix it. Radio is finicky but if I turn it off and on a bunch of times it starts to not sound as scratchy.  

Please private message me... hopefully it will send something to my email.

5BA48617-A0C6-42E4-82DE-C500C084340A.jpeg

6CF3B98A-4A26-4454-8325-41E3074FD23E.jpeg

B16032D6-72B9-4A21-A17E-1C9A6EDB3EA4.jpeg

4C8B9DF7-E86F-4450-877D-CE0B0F5ECFEE.jpeg

Edited by DaveBmaryland
I will try to add more pictures (see edit history)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DaveBmaryland said:

Wow, seems like no interest...

Expert Buick Owners:

What am I doing wrong?

-Dave

Many cars posted for sale here, don't sell here... sometimes parts sell here.   Have you tried the "buick swap meet" facebook group?  Craigslist and eBay are my best options when parting vehicles out.

7 hours ago, DaveBmaryland said:

Wow, seems like no interest...

Expert Buick Owners:

What am I doing wrong?

-Dave

Typically people here are looking for bargains, unless they come out specifically seeking a particular car.  Even outside of here, you may have to drop the price a little in my opinion.  It's a beautiful car though for sure.

• Like 1

While it's a really nice car,  it falls into the price range of alot of other nice cars.  Unless someone is looking for a 64 225 4 door hardtop, (there are probably not alot in that market) you are competing with alot of other nice preserved 60's Sedans even a few 2 door hardtops.  I've seen a very similar 61 Olds and it wasn't getting much attention either. I really looked over a 61 Buick Skylark 2 door hardtop at a show for sale this year and it was equally original and nice like your car and at 12,000. didn't find a buyer.  It was loaded with lots of cool options as well.  I was actually surprised few people were even giving it the time of day.  I still wonder if it ever sold or if it's still for sale.  I have never seen it marketed anywhere before or after the show.  A days detailing would have also helped the car as I could see how nice it was,  but no one took the time to really polish it up.   

You need to find a guy looking for an all original car and as mentioned above,  post alot of photos of all the details.  Show how nice all that potmetal is and how great that original dash looks.   You have to wow the passer by and make them appreciate how original and nicely kept the car is. 

Good luck.  Looks like a really nice car. 

Your car looks very good, Dave.

This forum doesn't reach as wide an audience as

some other sites.

The magazine Hemmings Motor News, and its

accompanying website www.hemmings.com, are the

foremost places for buying and selling antique cars.

Craig's List reaches the general public, but you'll reach

serious car enthusiasts through Hemmings.

My only suggestion:

Be sure to put a phone number in your ad--and in this forum listing!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

If you feel OK selling it for that,  you will probably have a little bigger market.  I've found whenever selling cars,  with every 5G the price goes up,  you lose a significant number of buyers that just can't come up with that kind of capital to buy it.  Not that they don't want it,  they just don't have the means to buy it. 

I figure almost anyone can come up with 5G,  Alot of people may have 5G already and figure they can borrow the other 5G.  But alot of guys don't have 10G laying around that they can borrow another 5G to get to that 15 mark. 

It's a great looking car.  I would get those extra photos if possible and as mentioned maybe a trip through Hemmings.  Be sure to stress how original it is in advertising it,  especially original paint and interior.  HPOF type cars are really popular among collectors and will pull more and sell faster than a nicely restored car.   

If you do Hemmings be sure to get a really nice uncluttered Picture with little but maybe a field or something in the background with a little flash on the chrome.  If the Hemmings Guys like it,  they may feature it in their daily emails that spotlights a few cars.  It's some pretty awesome direct marketing.  I had my car featured once randomly and it resulted in an immediate 10 or so inquiries. 

Good luck with the sale. 

I've had good success using Hemmings, and have both bought and sold cars through a Hemmings ad. I encourage you to set up a Hemmings ad, and attach several pictures;  you will get a national (even international) audience through Hemmings. Your car is beautiful! I own a similar Electra 225, with mine being a 61.

DSC_2782.JPG

I have had good luck with the ebay "Buy it Now" option after I ran it through the "Auction". The bidding did not meet my reserve and I posted the "Buy it Now" price allowing for a "Best Offer". "You have to be patient as there are dishonest people who abuse the ebay bidding process and those who ask for a lot of additional information, but have no intentions of buying the car. You have to trust your instincts to rule out the latter. I have sold three $20,000 + cars that were bought sight unseen. Pictures of the areas subject to the most wear are recommended; for example, the dash, drivers seat, and door panel. Also, some pictures of the engine bay, trunk, and close-up pictures of the chrome and the sides of the car would be helpful.  You don't want the pictures too close if they are picking up a lot of reflections.

The pricing is up to you. It is a unique car that looks beautiful, but unfortunately there is a small pool of potential buyers. 

+

This is a tough place for sellers from what I have seen. The big disadvantage is that almost everyone already has a car. Most are older, so, even though the car is approaching 60 years old, it doesn't look that old to them. If they didn't already scoop up a good one for under $3,000 a couple of decades ago someone close to them did. It is hard to get money out of an old man. (or find one with a wife who gives him permission).

In the car business bright primary colors stand out, especially to the show off buyer. Resale Red is a common term, as is Lizard Green. That plays a role even on the nicest of cars.

Promotion is a very big part. A good salesman would be looking for about 6% for his efforts in selling the car. Since you are taking on that part of the job, you need to make that 6% effort yourself. That is $900 at the full $15,000. Can you fix the fender for that, get some nice pictures, and a good, for pay, advertisement for $900 (6%)? It is a good way to approach it because it recognizes the value of the sales effort, right salesmen.

I practice what I preach. I am selling one of my cars. Two weeks ago I dropped it off at a shop and had some minor paintwork done, a $190 job. The air conditioning has a leak in the body seal of the compressor which is being repaired this coming week. And it is in the back of the garage awaiting a carpet shampoo and thorough polishing. Detailed like it was going to a car show. When I can say "Needs nothing" it goes up for sale at a much higher price than the "It only needs" price and not here.

$15,000 is not a lot of money and fairly easy to get for a car. The hard part is ALL the competition that recognizes that and the margin they will work on. When the competition are professionals and you are an amateur you gotta step up. Don't sell a modestly nice green car, sell Marylin Monroe's mole.

Bernie

• Like 2