1st Gen Rear Seat Shelf

TKRIV

Not sure how this forum works when it comes to giving a heads up to other Riv owners of what large vendors have to offer out of their catalogue.

Recently pulled out to inspect the rear seat shelf I ordered from OPGI 

They claim that their reproduction shelf is identical to OEM specs. I find this reproduction a very sad reflection of what was originally fitted.

It's basically a flat bit of cut fibre board with fixing holes in it.

In the end I ordered the shelf from Clark's and this is a much better example.

Please advice if this forum is a platform to share good and bad product quality & purpose.

TomK

• Like 2

Excellent place to share.  I think that another contributor shared this same experience a couple of years ago.  I personally have never found one thing in the OPGI catalog that I can't find elsewhere for less money and cheaper S&H.  

If in doubt, check here for the experience of others.

• Like 1

I also bought a set of Door Panels.

Not cheap at US$370.00 + H/S to Australia.

Reused the exiting rail top and fitted panel to the door.

Door Panel is just over 1/2inch short and you notice it straight away.

My trimmer has to cut and extend the lower portion of the panel and fit new matching carpet. And just in case you think my trimmer does not know what he is doing he is the Australian trimmer for GM concept cars. (GM has a major design studio here in Melbourne)

So here we have another product from OPGI that falls sort of "Best Quality components"

Not complaining, just want to inform others so they can avoid the experience.

TomK

• Like 1

OK Riviera People: OPGI'z catalog cover is sexier than a men's magazine cover, Their staff? Among the nicest folks you'd like to meet. That's where it ENDS.  Their staff knows GTO'z Chevelles and all that A body stuff but they DON'T KNOW A FIRST-GEN RIV!   Next............their products are crap.  Next........their prices are not competitive.  Next.........their return policy is unreliable.  Wow, how to A body people put up with this???   I personally know this as I gave them an order and it was horrible. Mitch

• Like 1

Anyone have pictures of the Clark's parcel shelf to share?

My parcel shelf was re-covered in dark green vinyl years ago when I was running a pair of 6 x 9 speakers on the rear deck. I've restored and reinstalled the original AM/FM radio, and replaced the speakers in the dash and between the rear seats, so those 6 x 9's have to go.    I bought a rear defroster from Dick Sweeney and wish to install that in a new parcel shelf.  

So, my questions:

1. Does the Clark's parcel shelf come in different interior colors, or do I have to paint it to match?  My car has the dark green deluxe interior, Trim Code 620.
  2. How much tweaking is needed to install the Clark's parcel shelf?  Does it come with the cut out(s) for the defroster?  Or, is is marked as to where to make the cut?

Thanks for your advice and feedback.

Clark's offer shelf with different colors and do not have cut-out for the defroster unit.

Check their Web Site Page R-9

When you bought the defroster did you also buy the ACCESSORY emblem for the switch

that controls the fan which is mounted under the dash?

It took me a long long time to find one in nice condition (provided by Dick Sweeney)

To accommodate the defroster unit I think you will have to cut-out some sheet metal. (unless it was originally fitted)

So if aftermarket 6 x 9 speakers were fitted you will have metal already missing unless the speakers were of very low profile.

TomK

20180626_192004.jpg

I like this new approach the forum mod’s are taking...years ago I had issues with an exhaust vendor who’s ad I found in the Riview...I posted a “Buyer Beware” thread to let the forum know & named the vendor...I got slapped on the wrist by the mod’s ?‍♂️

BTW...i love the catalog...its sooo pretty hahah...i just gawk at how nice the parts on my car SHOULD look like haha