Best oil filter for the 430 engine

NC1968Riviera

Good morning all.

It's that time of the year again to change the oil in our Rivi. 

There has been a lot of discussions here about the 'right' motor oil to use in our cars. I could not find any discussions about oil filters. I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations on the best oil filter, to include model number, to use on the 430 engine.

O'Reilly's shows the Wix 51258 is the correct filter for the 430. I bought one last year but the diameter was bigger then the oil filter flange on the engine. I ended up buying the Wix 51522, which was the same diameter as the engine filter flange. 

I read somewhere else in the forum that one person uses only AC Delco filters on their 430 because they feel that these filters help maintain the correct oil pressure in the engine. The owners manual states the correct filter is the PF-24.

If you ever plan on having your Rivi judged at a BCA 400-point-judged meet, then your oil filter should be of an AC Delco brand (along with your battery, air filter, etc., etc.).

• Like 1

I would use the PF-24, WIX equivalent or a NAPA. WIX and NAPA was same manufacturer filter last time I checked. I've been using NAPA and WIX filters for many years on cars and AG/Excavating equipment and many others I know do as well.

Not sure exactly what you are referring to when swapping filter type based on a perceived diameter. I would not recommend that.

For the authenticity minded you can get repop decals to make a filter look like the original painted Delco PF 24 but even that is not 100% correct as factory. When the car was delivered originally the filter would have been painted engine color. They also repop a painted PF-24. I used to paiunt my filter every time I changed it on my 67 GS but that eventually got old!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-AC-Delco-PF-24-Engine-Oil-Filter-Decal-Sticker-Buick-Chevy-Olds-Pontiac-NOS/272096207997?hash=item3f5a32a47d:g:jaEAAOSwFqJWj9hL:sc:USPSFirstClass!15068!US!-1&vxp=mtr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/correct-classic-AC-Delco-PF24-Oil-Filter-67-74-Buick-Olds-442-Cutlass-GS-Skylark/253055719085?hash=item3aeb4bd6ad:g:vj4AAOSwawpXrpsa&vxp=mtr

I have seen many debates for filter brands and very few are based on factual scientific test data. Usually just hyperbole. My take is for the way most of us baby our cars and not put many miles on them between oil changes filter quality becomes less important. Filters designed for synthetic users where extended change intervals are applied buying the premium filter such as NAPA Platinum does make sense as they are designed to hold more dirt. Otherwise they are a waste of money for the average hobby car enthusiast. IMO of course.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Some time ago Bob the Oil Guy tore apart a bunch if filters and measured the amount of filter material in them, how minute of a particle it would trap, the by-pass mechanism, etc. and at that time he rated the Wix, who makes the better filters for NAPA, the best. Followed by Purolator, Delco, Royal Purple, K&N, as Good as well.  Hastings makes filters for cars but specializes in filters for big industrial use. They're goog but harder to find. That's all my dad would use at the dealership even though Delco was available at the parts counter.  Don't try to save a couple of bucks, or go with a company that spends most of its revenues on advertising rather than product development.  Personally, I use Mobil 1 pure synthetic and Wix filters.  The Mobil 1 is available at WallyWorld for less than $25 for a 5 quart jug, and Wix is available at O'Reilly's, which is on the way home from WallyWorld.

• Like 1

Just to add a little to Jason's post - the original,  white AC Delco PF24 filters had the letters AC embossed on the bottom of the filter !

Those are now probably 'unobtainium' - and I'm on my last one from a 'bulk' purchase made 22 years ago at $1 each, from my local GM dealer.

I bought their entire stock of 22 - just too good a bargain to pass up ! :)

Who in their right mind would buy one of these incorrect facsimiles at $26 US + $75 for shipping ? :wacko:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/253055719085?rmvSB=true

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, DShip said:

If you ever plan on having your Rivi judged at a BCA 400-point-judged meet, then your oil filter should be of an AC Delco brand (along with your battery, air filter, etc., etc.).

My Rivi is no where near good enough to consider entering it in 400 point judging any time soon. There are too many issues on the underside to even think about it. :wacko:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 68RIVGS said:

I have always used AC Delco PF-24s = fresh oil and a new filter every season, whether it needs it, or not !

If you are thinking AC Delco the PF 30 is the equivalent of the PF 24. I know that saving a few dollars should not be the only driving factor for buying oil filters. However, if you can save a few bucks, why not? I have picked up many of these through the years at swap meets very cheaply for my Pontiacs and now the Riviera. Vendors will price the PF 24 quite high because they know that they are a popular filter with the vintage car crowd. Many of them do not realize that the PF 30 is the same filter and they price them to sell because they just want to move them. I picked up several the BCA meet this last summer for very little money.

Bill

Question for which there may not be an answer.  Is there a quality filter that is a longer filter thats is the same diameter and will screw onto the filter housing?  It might make a slight difference in the amount of oil the crankcase would hold but it would have that much more area of filter material.

• Like 1

Here are a few oil filter videos I was recently assigned to watch in a class I was taking ...

OIl Filter Comparison...STP vs FRAM vs BOSCH vs MOBIL1

Choosing the BEST OIL FILTER...FRAM vs WIX vs K&N vs Others

I Cut Them All Up! Best Oil Filter Available Right Now? – PerformanceCars

I can't say for certain they tell you which filter is best, but there is a lot of info.

It appears the AC 25 is about 5 inches tall and has a anti drainback valve.........the AC30 is about 4 inches tall and also has an anti drainback valve.

I cannot find a good site for AC Delco that gives the specs......

However FRAM site allows you to enter the Delco part number then when you click on the FRAM part, it gives you the specs (thread size, height, diameter, etc. )

On my daily drivers, I use Mobil 1 and change the oil once a year (about 10K) but I change the filter every 3K......filters and oil are cheaper than engines.

34 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Question for which there may not be an answer.  Is there a quality filter that is a longer filter thats is the same diameter and will screw onto the filter housing?  It might make a slight difference in the amount of oil the crankcase would hold but it would have that much more area of filter material.

There is at least one answer but, probably not practical as I am sure they are scarce.The AC PF 7 which was the original filter that was on some 60's GM cars when they were new. Many years ago I was having some work done on my 1963 Tempest convertible. Ed (no relation to the questioner), the mechanic that was doing the work was an older gentleman. I told him that as long as he had the car to change the oil and give it a lube job as I was pressed for time and wouldn't have time to do it. When I picked up the car I noticed it had a new PF 7 oil filter on it. I asked him where he found that. He said he had 2 or 3 cases  of them upstairs in his shop. He had picked them up years before. No extra charge for that. I hung on to that filter for many years after I took it off just because I thought it was such a cool thing he had done.

Bill

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NC68Riviera said:

My Rivi is no where near good enough to consider entering it in 400 point judging any time soon. There are too many issues on the underside to even think about it. :wacko:

You never know, the judges are only allowed to "take a knee" to look under your car.

I tried it once just because, and the two I took did pretty well. Of course they were both late model Rivs so they did not need that much, but I did clean the underside some before going to the meet.

As nice as your car is I'm sure it/you would do well!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Barney Eaton said:

On my daily drivers, I use Mobil 1 and change the oil once a year (about 10K) but I change the filter every 3K......filters and oil are cheaper than engines

You can change the filter without draining the oil? Cool. 

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

Isn't the PF 30 slightly taller than the PF 24? Otherwise the same, diameter and thread and gasket size?

It has been a while since I was working with them regularly, but I think that is right.

That might give you the "slight capacity difference" you are looking for?

O

24 minutes ago, NC68Riviera said:

You can change the filter without draining the oil? Cool. 

Oh yeah.  Change the filter and add new oil to the crankcase to replace that which was in the filter.  As long as the oil maintains its viscosity and you can keep it clean. Not a popular option nowdays.

As long as we're on the subject of oil, has anyone considered putting a sandwich plate between the block and the engine and adding an oil cooler? Besides cooling the Oil, it would also add to the capacity.

trd-1320_ml.jpg.f1c19b1237c2e4e4e794c61ecab155cf.jpg

All sorts of oil coolers out there.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

9 hours ago, Rivman said:

Isn't the PF 30 slightly taller than the PF 24? Otherwise the same, diameter and thread and gasket size?

It has been a while since I was working with them regularly, but I think that is right.

That might give you the "slight capacity difference" you are looking for?

The PF 24 and PF 30 are identical as far as I can see. I have used the PF 24 interchangeably with the PF 30 for years on my Pontiacs and now the Riv. They are making reproductions of the PF 7 which gives you a little over another inch in length. The repros don't have the nut on the bottom like the originals.They are pricey as well, $30.00 on up. The originals can still be found but, are even more pricey. I believe the PF 7 held a full quart of oil. Here is a list of other filters I have found over the years at swap meets, Goodwill, or garage sales that also cross with the PF 24. These were/are very plentiful as people transitioned away from the cars that used them. They had these on the shelf  and then finally would get rid of them. My step dad was a faithful scrounger of Goodwill and St. Vincent De Paul. He would always be on the lookout for oil filters for me. Every time I would go home he would have a bag of filters for me. 

Lee LF 24, Motorvator MP 5, Purolator PER 33, Pennzoil PZ 2, Hastings 222 and Wix 51258

Bill

IMG_3960.JPG

IMG_3961.JPG

IMG_3962.JPG

• Thanks 1

Just a continuation of the previous post as I was only able to add 3 pictures for some reason. Funny, the PF 30 box in the first picture does not list Buick but probably does in the catalog. The second picture shows an original PF 7 with the nut and the 3rd picture is of a repro PF 7 filter.

Bill

IMG_3963.JPG

PF 7 Filter.jpg

PF 7 Filter 2.jpg

• Thanks 1

Ed mentioned adding the cooler adaptor and that is a good way to get some extra oil cooling.

They also make an adaptor so the filter can be moved to a remote location

If you go that route you can also add the oil cooler and most of the remote filter adaptors use the old PF3 which is a larger diameter filter.

Of course if you are staying stock, you can't be adding all that extra stuff under the hood.

2 minutes ago, Barney Eaton said:

Ed mentioned adding the cooler adaptor and that is a good way to get some extra oil cooling.

They also make an adaptor so the filter can be moved to a remote location

If you go that route you can also add the oil cooler and most of the remote filter adaptors use the old PF3 which is a larger diameter filter.

Of course if you are staying stock, you can't be adding all that extra stuff under the hood.

Barney, the engine compartment in a Riviera has just a smidge more room in it than a Reatta does.  ?