1968 Riv Add a A/C? And help for buying a Riv

BBK

Uh...  The digital copies of the manuals are PDF files which you can copy to the storage medium of your choice.  Unless you think Adobe is about to go out of business and/or PDF will fall out of favor, there wouldn't seem to be much reason to anticipate that the copies will become unusable.

One advantage to the digital copies is that it's quite easy to print enlarged copies of crucial pages (e.g. a wiring diagram) or selected pages for a specific task.  One might also note that you can add digital comments to many PDF files, using them just as you would Post-It notes.  Only the comments don't fall off or clutter things up.  And you can easily search for them.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, KongaMan said:

One advantage to the digital copies is that it's quite easy to print enlarged copies of crucial pages

I concur that digital copies of service manuals is handy. Having one of the actual paper books makes it easy to go from one section to another if you suddenly think of something else you want or need to "fix".

Edited by NC68Riviera (see edit history)

On 5/28/2018 at 5:34 PM, BBK said:

4. I only know modern cars but I smell a lot of gas as I drove the car at home, today as I open the garage I also smell a lot of gas. Is it normal? 

I found behind/under the ar filter a hose which connects the air filter and the engine. Around the connection between the hose and the engine is some fluid. It was wet and smells like gas but I wonder that its not dry maybe some oil/gas mixture?

This would be #1 on my to-do list.  Fuel leaks are nothing to fool around with - the car and your garage are at risk if gasoline ignites.  Start at one end or the other (gas tank or carburetor) and work your way to the other inspecting for signs of leakage.  Since you say there is what appears to be fuel around the carburetor, I'd start there.  The hose to the air filter from the intake manifold should be vacuum (no gas).  Pay attention to the fuel line inlet at the front of the carburetor, the fuel filter is located in the carburetor body behind that large (1-inch) nut.  That connection can be damaged by over-tightening and the threads may be stripped.  There should also be a gasket behind that nut.  Also check that the fuel line flare connection into that large nut is tight -- BUT be sure to use 2 wrenches and hold the large nut as you snug the flare nut.

Work your way back to the rear of the car and look for any signs of leaks.  This would also be a good time to check integrity of the brake lines and exhaust system.  If all of this is more than you are comfortable with doing yourself, I'd take the car to a mechanic that you trust and have them perform an overall safety inspection.  Look at fuel system, brake system, steering and suspension system and exhaust.  Once any of these issues are addressed, you can turn your attention to the cosmetic and convenience items on your list, while you enjoy driving the car.  Keep us posted on your progress!   ;)

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Agree with what EmTee says above, but want to add, don't stop looking for leaks, even if you find one, until you get to the other end of the system. Start at the carb, find and fix a leak, and keep moving until you get to the gas cap. You may have more than one leak in the system. Same goes for exhaust and brakes. Check everything, even after you fixed what you think may be the problem.

• Like 1

Thank you for your support.

I only find one book of the Chassis and Body Part book but price is high

What  you think about this Set: Manual set

I had the Problem with the high shipping cost so I need one seller.

Today I checked the electric together with my other  above mentioned problems there is no bulb working. Also No cigarette lighter. For the New Radio someone Cut the original connectors, its a mess.

You say that shipping was high but you don't tell us where you live.  Books can be mailed using media print rates.  But if you live outside the U.S. high shipping is one of the things you'll learn to live with.

Get a chassis manual to start with.  The others can wait.  I've owned my '63 for 35 years and don't remember making reference to the body manual.   A lot of body stuff is common sense.

Here's a fairly inexpensive chassis manual.

https://www.ebay.com/i/302697627139?chn=ps

Hi BBK, 

welcome to the forum, hop you enjoy your Riviera.

Keep at it, one thing every day and before long, it’s done.

Im in Australia and also cop the shipping costs as well. One thing I did was got a US mailing address through Shipito. They are a company who will redirect mail to you for a small fee. They also do customs stuff too, making it easier. Need to check that they ship to where you are.

Reason for this, is some companies and ebay people will not ship overseas.

Some give free US postage but charge exorbitant prices for OS shipping.

You can sometimes consolidate a few items together from different suppliers and send in one parcel.

If you have a friend with a similar car or one who buys from the same places, you could share shipping costs on a few bits.

just my two bobs worth from down under 

Rodney ???????

• Like 1

On 5/31/2018 at 1:18 PM, MikeJS said:

Good day, 

In terms of buying manuals on CD, although I have all the printed manuals for my '64, personally I would caution against buying a CD, as computer technology is evolving to where CD drives will (and mostly have) become obsolete. Most new Apple computers no longer have a CD drive. Printed books will last, and will still be fully accessible long after the CD is simply a table coaster...

Later,

Mike

I took my Service manual to a print shop for spiral binding and plastic cover. The original service manual I have is paper back and the glued binding was braking down. I think it cost $7.00 for the spiral binding and cover front and back. The other pieces to the puzzle are the parts manuals. The service manual will tell you what the part is, but not the number for ordering. My experience for ordering and identifying EXACTLY what you (think) need is by part number.Ask me how I know.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RivNut said:

Ouch.  Are printed media rates any better for overseas customers?  

In the arcane world of postal rates it is anyone’s guess. The best place to determine shipping/ mailing overseas is through the USPS Domestic Mail Manual. Or, go through DHL and pay the freight.

Yeah Ed I think your right for books it should about 13% Tax.

Rodney thank you I will Check shipito!

For the Manual I think I will bis following Set https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F252714304009

Heavy price but I have all needed details incl. Part list

Maybe I can clear following questions before I geht my Manuals

1. Is it normal that the oil and Generator lamp 

glow and some annoing beep tone is ring when I start the engine?

2. How can I get easy access behind the courtesy light Switch?

Me again. So I buyed the chassis manual only very cheap on ebay.

I have another point:

I had the problem that I cant drive with my child in the Riv because we need a 3 point seat belt for his child seat.

I read in the Buick Electra manual (see attached)  that you should use the lap and shoulder belt at a time but I see only one lock so that I can use lap belt OR shoulder belt.

Is there really a special "individual buckle" that they sell extra? Anybody have a picture or part number?

Zwischenablage01.jpg

1 hour ago, BBK said:

Me again. So I buyed the chassis manual only very cheap on ebay.

I have another point:

I had the problem that I cant drive with my child in the Riv because we need a 3 point seat belt for his child seat.

I read in the Buick Electra manual (see attached)  that you should use the lap and shoulder belt at a time but I see only one lock so that I can use lap belt OR shoulder belt.

Is there really a special "individual buckle" that they sell extra? Anybody have a picture or part number?

Zwischenablage01.jpg

Hi BBK,

I don’t know how easy it would be to put in modern belts in your Riviera and even if it is allowed in your country but here are the stories when me and my lady converted a 1963:

Front

Rear (might be more what you are looking for):

The shoulder belt attaches to the lap belt.  When not in use, it can be folded and stored within a couple of clips along the molding for the headliner.  Be advised, these belts do not retract and they are not "loose" until an inertia reels puts the brakes on them.  Once you have them fastened, you're locked in.  Probably not a bad thing for a kid in a car seat.

Ed

Here's a picture of the lap belt buckle,  you can see where the shoulder belt would attach to it.

Image result for 70's GM shoulder belt

These are the clips that are along the roof line.

Don't know the particular GM make/model but here's how they store if you choose not to use them.

• Like 1

Thanks for help. I checked my seat belts and I had 2 belt buckles per seat. Never noticed that. 

Does anybody have a wire diagram so I can check where there is some technical issue? 

Trunk light works but all cigarette lighter, courtesy light, red sidemarkers doesn't. 

IMG_20180605_182621.jpg

IMG_20180605_183503.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello Riviera Owners, 

I have some questions

1. Yesterday I drive 5 hours and had no problems but I shut off the engine before my garage and can't get it on. Battery is OK. When I turn ignition to start I hear the buzzer beep but starting motor is not working. Any ideas? 

2. Is it normal that the buzzer is on everytime when I will turn on the engine? 

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 6:14 PM, BBK said:

all cigarette lighter, courtesy light, red sidemarkers doesn't. 

There is a small 3 amp fuse for the lighters and lights. Replace it and your issue may get resolved. BTW, my fuse will blow if I use the front ashtray cigarette lighter, so I have a short either in the lighter receptacle or somewhere between there and the fuse panel, I believe. As a precaution, I have unhooked the wire from the lighter, put a small plastic bag over the wire connector and I don't use the lighter (I don't smoke anyways).

Serious today I try to start the engine and no problem starts as always. Any ideas? 

@NC

Yeah thank you. I taking apart all lighters and got them to work. Recently I try to get the original radio to work. Also the clock the cruise control and courtesy light switch now works. Last week I got the wiper washer also to work. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BBK said:

Serious today I try to start the engine and no problem starts as always. Any ideas? 

@NC

Yeah thank you. I taking apart all lighters and got them to work. Recently I try to get the original radio to work. Also the clock the cruise control and courtesy light switch now works. Last week I got the wiper washer also to work. 

Great job getting things working. Work on one thing at a time and eventually you will get all problems fixed. Keep us posted and show us some pictures of your car in the "My Riviera" section.

Kind regards,

Today it was the next day to work on my Riv. 

Tested with a fan in the exhaust where it blow fumes from. Every connection from the exhaust is leaking. No wonder that it's smells in the inner for exhaust fumes. 

After the last time where I can switch to ignition I can start today the car and 5 minutes later it was dead. I identify that the plus cable crimp on the battery is lose. I hope that was the failure but I wonder that I had the last time ignition. 

Stupidly I put my dashboard on the roof and it fall down and cracked. What a bad mistake. 

Otherwise I test my new car jack. 

IMG_20180804_231847.jpg

IMG_20180804_231953.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello Riv Owners, 

Can anybody confirm that these compressor will fit in my 68 Riviera? Can't find anything to this model.

Seller said its from a 69 wildcat. 

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/klimaanlage-buick-us-car-chevrolet-cadillac-gm-klimakompressor/918456590-223-4133?utm_source=sharesheet&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_android

On 8/4/2018 at 4:21 PM, BBK said:

Today it was the next day to work on my Riv. 

Tested with a fan in the exhaust where it blow fumes from. Every connection from the exhaust is leaking. No wonder that it's smells in the inner for exhaust fumes. 

After the last time where I can switch to ignition I can start today the car and 5 minutes later it was dead. I identify that the plus cable crimp on the battery is lose. I hope that was the failure but I wonder that I had the last time ignition. 

Stupidly I put my dashboard on the roof and it fall down and cracked. What a bad mistake. 

Otherwise I test my new car jack. 

IMG_20180804_231847.jpg

IMG_20180804_231953.jpg

Once you get your car up like that, be sure that you Check out your jack stands too!  NEVER trust a jack.