Spring Carlisle 2018

cutlasguy

Thanks for the great pictures. I was there all day Wednesday, briefly Thursday morning; and Saturday afternoon- but never made it to the Car Corrall. The crowd on Saturday was the largest I’ve seen in years (see the picture). Perhaps the strange weather on Thursday contributed to that. Great start to another season of Carlisle events.

86E2A85C-726E-4428-BE3D-A4F16AB8D755.jpeg

We were there from Tues afternoon to Sat afternoon.  Friday was by far the best day, both weather and crowds.  Sat crowds were off, despite better weather.  Thursday was dismally cold and wet, and not surprisingly crowds were non-existent. Setting up our canopies in the snow on Tuesday was a treat. Very few empty vendor spaces, for a change, though I can't understand why someone pays $115 a space and packs up and leaves on Friday afternoon! :blink:

Despite the cold, I had a successful meet, at least from a buying standpoint.  Got a number of good deals and definitely spent more than I had planned. :D

21 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

We were there from Tues afternoon to Sat afternoon.  Friday was by far the best day, both weather and crowds.  Sat crowds were off, despite better weather.  Thursday was dismally cold and wet, and not surprisingly crowds were non-existent. Setting up our canopies in the snow on Tuesday was a treat. Very few empty vendor spaces, for a change, though I can't understand why someone pays $115 a space and packs up and leaves on Friday afternoon! :blink:

Despite the cold, I had a successful meet, at least from a buying standpoint.  Got a number of good deals and definitely spent more than I had planned. :D

I arrived and set up Wednesday morning, spent a cold, windy & rainy day selling on Thursday and yes, packed up on Friday afternoon at 4:00 pm.  I personally had been away from my office for three weeks having been in Hilton Head on vacation for two, Philadelphia for a couple of days and then over to Carlisle.  To answer your question Joe:  "Some of us have lives beyond watching glassy-eyed visitors walking past spaces looking at nothing".  I vend as a hobby and have commitments to my business customers at home.  Additionally, I'm OK sleeping in the van at 32 degrees for a couple of nights, but beyond that, the fun quickly goes away.  I also think it is crazy that Carlisle provides a space so small that if you put a van in it, there is only three feet of space on the sides to set up tables.  They won't change as it's a cash cow for them, but an extra two feet of width would make it much easier to successfully market your products.

Side note:

Seriously - have you ever noticed that around 2:00 to 3:00 pm people just wander up and down the isles, not stopping to look at anything?  It must be the pizza for lunch kicking in.  

If you look beside the cars in the photos, you will

see modern pick-up trucks parked in the car corral.

It's been this way for quite some time--using a car corral

space just for parking.  That is something

that is never allowed at AACA meets, and I don't know

why Carlisle Events allows this.  Nowadays, there are

probably more spaces available than there are

antique cars to fill them. 

Sorry to say, Spring and Fall Carlisle are no longer on my

"must do" list, though I go occasionally.  How much better it could be! 

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

13 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

If you look beside the cars in the photos, you will

see modern pick-up trucks parked in the car corral.

It's been this way for quite some time--using a car corral

space just for parking.  That is something

that is never allowed at AACA meets, and I don't know

why Carlisle Events allows this.  Nowadays, there are

probably more spaces available than there are

antique cars to fill them.

Well, Carlisle isn't an AACA event and there is no 25 year cutoff.  By the way, those "modern" pickup trucks were for sale and for the most part were at least ten years old. Even under AACA rules, a 1993 Chevy truck is an "antique car". Carlisle primarily caters to the street rod and 1950s/60s crowds, though the 1980s cars are showing up in greater numbers.  Sorry, but this is just supply and demand.  The supply of 1960s and older cars and parts is drying up, and frankly, most vendors reach a much larger market on ebay anyway.  That's life.

24 minutes ago, joe_padavano said:

Well, Carlisle isn't an AACA event and there is no 25 year cutoff.  By the way, those "modern" pickup trucks were for sale... 

I've seen plenty of pick-up trucks that are NOT for sale.

Most of those spaces were NOT being used to sell vehicles.

And I pointed out the contrast with AACA to show how

much better AACA policies are, to make a better experience

for the customer (visitor).  I agree though, Joe, that the

emphasis is on 1960's and up, and on modified vehicles.

26 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I've seen plenty of pick-up trucks that are NOT for sale.

Most of those spaces were NOT being used to sell vehicles.

And I pointed out the contrast with AACA to show how

much better AACA policies are, to make a better experience

for the customer (visitor).  I agree though, Joe, that the

emphasis is on 1960's and up, and on modified vehicles.

Carlisle can certainly do a better job of providing parking for vendor vehicles.  I have to get four spaces Spring and Fall to have enough room for our tents plus the camper and my truck.  Yes, this means that the latter two are parked in the swap meet area.  I think a reorganization of the swap field could fix this, but Carlisle Events hasn't shown interest in doing this.