Has anyone used lacquer paint recently?

Tidbinbilla

Lacquer is probably the easiest and most forgiving finish. It's applied rather thinned-out, so it needs more coats than enamel & poly. Each coat dissolves into the previous one, so touch-ups are easier. It doesn't contain any cyanoacrylate  hardeners, so is a bit less dangerous to the lungs.  The body shops all use clear-coat finishes now, but you can still buy lacquer if you search.

We have a 66 VW that we use for touring.   It's an original car except fot\r all the spots I painted with lacquer.  Mochet Velo is correct, it's easy and very forgiving.  

First question is what lacquer thinner are you using? Or have you not bought it yet?

Second, is your finish solid color or metallic?

Third, have you bought the paint? Around here one must mail order it, NO ONE carries it (or good thinner) locally.

Read a lot on the subject, or watch someone do it! That might be hard to find anyone spraying any lacquer depending on where you live.;) Maybe some Youtube videos. Blending is not a skill learned on your first panel repair. Painting whole panels is easier.

9 hours ago, MochetVelo said:

...The body shops all use clear-coat finishes now, but you can still buy lacquer if you search.

Someone from California told me that you can't get

lacquer paint anymore.  He's undoubtedly mistaken,

but perhaps that is true in his state.

When I took my 1979 Buick in for some paint work,

the local shop asked me whether I wanted it done in

lacquer.  Seeing that lacquer paint cracks after some

decades, and thinking long-term, I said no.

TCP Global in California still sells Acrylic Lacquer.  I recently bought some and had it shipped to Pennsylvania.

Here is what it says on the TCP Global website at:  http://www.autocolorlibrary.com

California Residents Please Note:

Restoration Shop UB Urethane Basecoat, AL Acrylic Lacquer and related solvents are not compliant 
for purchase in the State of California and may contain VOC which exceeds the limits in other districts/states.

• Like 1

Tidbinbilla ,

If your car is painted with lacquer, and if you use anything other than lacquer, it will crack as the lacquer under it moves with temperatures and cracks the top coat.

Ps, there are two different types of lacquer, lacquer and acrylic lacquer. The latter coming into use in the 60's.

It is best if you spray all the coats in the same day.

I normally let it sit a day or two before buffing.

Do not wax it for at least 30 days, wax traps the thinner and will lead to cracking.

Lacquer is hard so it polishes  very well but it will chip and scratch more than other finishes

The original spray lacquer (DUCO) was nitrocellulose lacquer. It's made from solvent and cellulose derived from cotton. The acrylic lacquer (from the '60s) uses a synthetic polymer. You can still purchase both types, but the color range is limited. Here is a nitrocellulose lacquer Finishing Schedule that you may find interesting. It's for wood, but it shows the details of application.

Phil