Hubcap Repair

Friartuck

Hubcap in question is a 1951 Cadillac "Sombrero" for a series 62 Caddy. The cap is in good overall condition and slightly distorted. It won't stay on the wheel and recently popped off on a club run. Is there a vendor that specializes in hubcap straightening and/or repair? A search on the Forum did not reveal any.

While I cannot vouch for the accuracy,

I've been told that radial tires on early rims will cause the rim to "flex", causing the cap to choose an independent direction of travel.

You might try reshaping the "teeth", bending them slightly outward to get a better grip on the rim - just a thought - it helped on my (former) '63 Impala

• Like 1

Thanks to all who replied. This thread was for a fellow collector who lives near me. Turns out the vehicle had front end work performed and it appears the shop used a flat blade screwdriver to remove the "sombrero" wheel cover. It got distorted and screw driver impressions are clearly  shown in the dish portion near the edge. Some scraps and rough edges when it flew off at 40 MPH. The wheel/tire are not radials so flexing is not suspect, however, the teeth on the edges need attention. I believe that was the problem.  John S in Penna provided sources for repair in a PM.

Invariably I find the average mechanic will damage hubcaps when servicing wheels, and therefore I remove caps myself before leaving a vehicle off for service.  Whether taking off or putting back on [should I say "hammering"] the marks of callous handling seem hard for some to avoid.

• Like 1