Buick Lifters Help!!!!

mribbich@wi.rr.com

I have these pictures too that someone sent me.  1925 vs 1928 roller lifters. Improvements to 1924 lifters for 1925.  They should have 6 digit numbers on one side, and a U shaped piece opposite the numbers that us used to keep them straight.  Hugh

59f209cf0df5b_25v28rollerlifters.jpg.6e5e1c7d9b82e7a90c9f96206fc4ab24.jpg59f20a6ca47ca_1924-1925lifters.thumb.jpg.80c19ae570988f92d6da65c38b194705.jpg 

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

And Mike, you haven't heard the best part yet.  I picked up an almost new camshaft and camshaft gear for my 1916 D-45 off evilbay a couple years ago.  I ended up sending it down to Competition Cams in Memphis to have it thoroughly checked out.  They checked it for straightness, checked the bearing surfaces for roundness, magnafluxed it to check for any cracks or fissures, and then they micro-polished it for me.  I was told that the cam was/is in absolute perfect condition.  While they had it in their experimental department where they did everything to it, the Chief Engineer had a chance to look it over.  What he told the guys really surprised them and me too.  He told them that the technology used at that point in time at Buick really did not come into common practice until the late 1930's on other American built automobiles and trucks.  It seems that Mr. Marr knew something about holding the exhaust valve open a bit longer to get a better scavenging effect in the cylinders.  I'm totally convinced that this had everything to do with Buick engines being the powerhouse that they were for the time.  When I told the guys about the roller lifter system that was used, they just about couldn't believe it.  The coolest thing about this whole experience was that they only charged me $35.00 plus the shipping back to me for everything they did.  Way cool.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Im well into the engine rebuild on my '24 Master. New pistons, block bored, camshaft re-ground etc. The engine is now in a cradle waiting for me to deliver it to the engineer in 17 days time. A 938 km trip from home which includes an overnight trip on a ferry to get to mainland Australia.

One of the tasks i need to do is find replacement rollers. Mine are like picture 3, some have galling and some have worn out rollers. Some are usable, but its easier to replace them all whilst the engine is apart.

My question to you guys is - "who is the go to guy for replacement rollers"?

No doubt i can get them made here in Australia, but sometimes its just easier if someone is already set up with the tooling etc to get the job done.

Any ideas?

David.

5 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

My 1908 Buick Model F has roller lifters along with my '15 truck, and '18 truck.

This should also put the ZDDP oil additive controversy to bed for Buicks too.

Flat-Tappet Cams

"The design of flat-tappet cams makes them especially vulnerable to wear. As the name indicates, the tappet – or lifter – is flat. During operation the surface of the cam lobe slides rapidly over the surface of the tappet, producing high friction and temperatures. The camshaft and lifters are responsible for triggering the precisely tuned movements of the valvetrain 

Without the protective film barrier provided by ZDDP, the cams and lifters wear from the force of operation, negatively affecting cam and valve operation. Because most V-8 engines of the muscle car era came standard with flat-tappet cams, the problem is especially prevalent to classic-car and hot-rod owners."

From:  https://www.amsoil.com/newsstand/classic-and-vintage/articles/reduced-zddp-and-wear-protection/

And make sure that whoever makes these rollers for you gets the right heat treat on them.  They are a ground finish on the OD.  You cannot run two pieces of hard material against each other without having some serious problems.  Check the old rollers very close on the HRC scale.  You do not want to tear up the camshaft.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Jim and Terry,

Thanks for your advice. I had already planned for that to occur, but it's a timely reminder for those contemplating this to think ahead.

I was just thinking that if there is already someone outhere who can help it just saves time and effort by having to do it all again.

Regards

David.

• 1 month later...
On 10/26/2017 at 9:30 AM, Hubert_25-25 said:

I have these pictures too that someone sent me.  1925 vs 1928 roller lifters. Improvements to 1924 lifters for 1925.  They should have 6 digit numbers on one side, and a U shaped piece opposite the numbers that us used to keep them straight.  Hugh

59f209cf0df5b_25v28rollerlifters.jpg.6e5e1c7d9b82e7a90c9f96206fc4ab24.jpg59f20a6ca47ca_1924-1925lifters.thumb.jpg.80c19ae570988f92d6da65c38b194705.jpg 

Are u going to use some supper polish on yours Hue ?

Thank you for asking,

The engine was delivered mid November. Extensive work to be done. The engineer is also going to make a complete set of rollers for me (it's just more expense that has to be done) while he is at it.

Still yet to locate some better lifters, but at least i can progress on the engine whilst i am waiting.

Now is a good opportunity to put it out there, that if anyone has 1, 2 3 or more good/half decent ones that i could use and that they would be interested in selling, please let me know.

In the interim i still have enough to keep me occupied. I picked up my newly recored radiator at the same time and now need to concentrate on getting the surround repaired. Nothing money wont fix??.

Then onto the body.

David.

10 hours ago, 1924 6-55 Sport Tourer said:

Thank you for asking,

The engine was delivered mid November. Extensive work to be done. The engineer is also going to make a complete set of rollers for me (it's just more expense that has to be done) while he is at it.

Still yet to locate some better lifters, but at least i can progress on the engine whilst i am waiting.

Now is a good opportunity to put it out there, that if anyone has 1, 2 3 or more good/half decent ones that i could use and that they would be interested in selling, please let me know.

In the interim i still have enough to keep me occupied. I picked up my newly recored radiator at the same time and now need to concentrate on getting the surround repaired. Nothing money wont fix??.

Then onto the body.

David.

Where abouts are you having the work done?