Dodge Brothers serial number help

Guest Hallman

Guest Hallman

Hi there,

I've bought a Dodge, somewhere around 1926 - 1929 I guess.

I have been searching for the serialnumber on the frame, and found parts of it.. Now I wonder if anyone of you can tell me what this means:

A 94 3J4

A (missing number) 94 (drilled hole in the frame) 3J4

I would like to get it registered in Sweden again, but I have no documents at all :(

If I can find the whole serialnumber, it might be able to register it again ?

By the way, the engine I have, is stamped C820-419...

Thanks,

Jan Hallman

Sweden

20171018_212352.jpg

Guest Hallman

I found the number as you write, on the right side, on top of the frame, over the shackle.

Unfortunately I don't have the floor parts, so there isn't any numberplate..

I will try to get some more photos for you. Everything I have, is in plastic bags and boxes.

'24-'26 Dodges have this body style, where the cowl has a distinct separation from the line of the front doors. From '27 forward, the hood/cowl/doors were in a smooth line. Images indicate 1924 models had only 2 hinges on rear suicide door, while 1926 models had 3 hinges like your car. Some '25 images have 2 hinges and others 3. So I'm suggesting 1926, possibly 1 year earlier.

Guest Hallman

Thank you gunsmoke!

Now I'm just a little bit confused over the serial number..

I've been looking at some internetpages, and I can't really find anything that matches my beginning of the serialnumber with an "A" and then a "J4" at the end... All serials seems to be for example A790.000... just one letter, and that one is the A ..

Guest Hallman
38 minutes ago, Wheelmang said:

Are you sure your "J" isn't a 0 or an 8? They get hard to read after 90 or so years.

Thanks Wheelmang

I will take a really close look at it again, and maybee try to get a picture of it! :)

Jan,

I have more questions than answers. First, do you know if the engine you have is original to the car?

Second, are you certain that the 2nd # is a 9? I also would say the J should be a # not a letter.

I have a "1927 series" built 9/11/26....serial # A 770,913 which has its original engine ....C 842-314. 

Early 20's the engine # was approx 50k higher than the car (serial) #. By late 1926 it was about 70K.

If your engine is indeed original that would put your serial # around A 750xxx with a build date in August 1926, making the 9 questionable 

as the serial # would have to be either A 690xxx or A 790xxx both in my opinion not compatible with that engine #.

I am by no means the last word on the subject ,only my opinion based on my vehicle and several others with DB's with similar build dates and # ranges.

Bill

Guest Hallman
On 2017-10-21 at 12:39 AM, nearchoclatetown said:

Where did you find this number? Should be on right front frame over the shackle.  Number plate on the floor too?  How about a picture of the engine and dash? 

20171024_205545.jpg

20171022_165706.jpg

I'm sure that the story of how that Dodge made its way to Sweden would be a very interesting one.  I know that American cars of the 50, 60, and 70s are popular in Sweden but cars of the 20s?  Do you know if this car was imported when it was new/almost new or if it was imported more recently as a project.

Guest Hallman
8 hours ago, Pete in PA said:

I'm sure that the story of how that Dodge made its way to Sweden would be a very interesting one.  I know that American cars of the 50, 60, and 70s are popular in Sweden but cars of the 20s?  Do you know if this car was imported when it was new/almost new or if it was imported more recently as a project.

I agree ! I hope that I will get some information from the previous owners ?

I don't really know much yet.. I bought it from a friend, who bought it from a guy, that bought it from his friend, that got it as a gift from his grandfather, that bought it from his friend.

Unfortunately I don't have the years of this happenings.. 

Guest Hallman

Thank you everyone for all help!

I have tried in a lot of ways to get all the numbers visible.

After a lot of work and trix, it seems that it is: A 794 834 ..

Does that serial number say anything good?

I will try to do a search in our swedish "riksarkivet" . if I have some luck, it may have information about the car, and hopefully som valuable notes that can help me forward :)

Edited by Hallman (see edit history)

The " D " motor prefix is what should be in the car , by the shape of the wind screen shade it is a 124 style body. The later 128 frame being shorter used he same motor but there numbers start 1 *** ***  that is 1 and six didgets following . Either motor could be used but the rear cross member or rear engine housing bolted to the engine will have be changed as they are of different width across the rear frame mounts and bolt holes

Edited by robert b (see edit history)

Guest Hallman
2 hours ago, robert b said:

Jan can you take some pics of your frame numbers for us to see what you are looking at please Bob

This is the best picture I can get

20171025_190358.jpg

Guest Hallman
2 hours ago, Ron Lawson said:

Jan the picture of your frame is from the top The same Number should be on the side just above where the spring shackle pin is

um okay. thanks Ron, I will take closer look!

Guest Hallman
4 hours ago, Ron Lawson said:

Jan the picture of your frame is from the top The same Number should be on the side just above where the spring shackle pin is

Now I have found the number on the side of the frame! 

The rust has been quite hard on that one too, but I am pretty sure that it is "A 894 - 834"

I will try to clean it up a bit more, and see if I have a friend with really good eyes that can help me confirm it.