1930 Marquette Phaeton phoenix AZ craigslist

NOT MINE

1930 Marquette Phaeton 35

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/d/1930-marquette-phaeton-35/6195164109.html

Needs Restoration. In good condition. Complete car with very little rust only in the common areas such as

the running boards. Comes with an extra set of wheels, extra grille (grille in picture is the better one

of the two), and extra steering wheel. The engine is free and turns by hand. Great candidate for a nice

restoration. Extremely rare!

$18,000 OBO

00202_5Ucno25pPBq_1200x900.jpg

00e0e_c4BLSKGqrrP_1200x900.jpg

00Y0Y_8VBpsO2KXdW_1200x900.jpg

00000_kDkrlcm5JqU_1200x900.jpg

I think I'd top out at nine or ten grand, but I really love late twenties, early thirties touring cars.  I'm three years into the restoration of my 32 Dodge Brothers sedan, and I know how much work would be involved in restoring this old beauty.  And is it just me, or does the car seem to be sitting awfully high?  Almost like the motor is out, but the rear end looks high, too.

10 hours ago, Taylormade said:

I think I'd top out at nine or ten grand, but I really love late twenties, early thirties touring cars.  I'm three years into the restoration of my 32 Dodge Brothers sedan, and I know how much work would be involved in restoring this old beauty.  And is it just me, or does the car seem to be sitting awfully high?  Almost like the motor is out, but the rear end looks high, too.

Definitely something wonky about the suspension.

Either the wheels are wrong, or someone's raised it, my guess at least. I've only ever seen one other open Marquette, and that was a 2 door, a beautifully restored example owned by a local man. This would certainly be a great to car restore, better than most I've seen that are that age, but I agree with everyone else, the asking price is about double.

Rare though it is, it wouldn't be a particularly high value car when done.

Nice to see it though, hopefully someone can make a deal with the seller and get it restored.

Keith

Not sure what I did wrong, except should have typed text before photo.   This is probably one of the best examples, if not the best.  Seen in Dublin, Ohio.  Owner is in Fort Wayne, I believe.  Beautiful car!!!  The one for sales does seem to sit high.  Can't just the weight of the side mounted spares!

John

There's NO way any Australian would consider that car for the price.   For several reasons  ------

1.   The currency exchange rate would put that car about A$ 30-35,000 landed.

2.   The cost of restoration is high here just like North America and that puts the overall cost to be up in the stratosphere.

3.    Marquette ( touring cars ) here are not that "rare".    I know of two locally and one is for sale at A$9,000 ( US$6,000 ) and in about similar condition or better.   It's not a six wheeled option though and has wood wheels.

The sedan models are rarer here.   We are the opposite to North America, mostly our vintage cars ( 1920s ) are / were open cars across all manufacturers.

We do not have the severe cold weather like you have hence touring cars were more popular and cheaper.

4.    You can buy a very nice fully restored proper Buick touring car here for around A$25,000 so importing this car would be out of the question.  Remember that green one from another General or Post War posting a few months ago ?  I liked it and for the price was a good deal even if it was not the original colours. 

For-Sale.jpg

Edited by Rooster
add picture (see edit history)

15 hours ago, Rooster said:

There's NO way any Australian would consider that car for the price.   For several reasons  ------

1.   The currency exchange rate would put that car about A$ 30-35,000 landed.

2.   The cost of restoration is high here just like North America and that puts the overall cost to be up in the stratosphere.

3.    Marquette ( touring cars ) here are not that "rare".    I know of two locally and one is for sale at A$9,000 ( US$6,000 ) and in about similar condition or better.   It's not a six wheeled option though and has wood wheels.

The sedan models are rarer here.   We are the opposite to North America, mostly our vintage cars ( 1920s ) are / were open cars across all manufacturers.

We do not have the severe cold weather like you have hence touring cars were more popular and cheaper.

4.    You can buy a very nice fully restored proper Buick touring car here for around A$25,000 so importing this car would be out of the question.  Remember that green one from another General or Post War posting a few months ago ?  I liked it and for the price was a good deal even if it was not the original colours. 

For-Sale.jpg

Rooster is 100% correct plus we now have the enforcement of this legislation to contend with

20170726135050810.pdf

I guess the consensus is that the asking price is double what anyone on the forum (who already own cars and probably wouldn't buy it anyway) think.

I don't even remember the exact amount I paid for my '64 Riviera. It was either $1900 or $2100. At the time I bought it a few other guys thought anything over $1,000 was outrageous. I paid double the perceived value, but those perceiving weren't buyers. What I paid was about $12,000 in post-tax earnings today. One of those guys died with ulcers and another worries about money all the time. He has stomach problems, too. I paid twice as much for my car and have been very pleased. I have always been accused of paying too much for my cars. I have always been happy with them, if not completely happy, I cleaned them and presented them better to sell.

People lose track of it being hobby money, discretionary bucks. These are adult toys.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...