1952 Studebaker Commander Starlight Coupe

Parts car items #14 & 15 - ignition switch & headlight switch. Since the original wires in the coupe were cut & spliced to change out these switches, I might not be able to get them back in without more extensive re-wiring. Another item from the parts car - replacement wire harnesses were in the trunk!

switches_01.jpg

switches_02.jpg

• Like 1

No, I didn't see the parts car (other than the online ad couple of low-res photos) until it showed up in front of my house. It's been a pretty good deal, so far. The guys who sold it to me sounded like they had bought a group of 3 or 4 cars, and this one was the one they didn't want/need. They were working on a '47 or '48 Starlight Coupe and a '50's Studebaker pickup, but there may have been more. The wiring in the trunk was under the radiator, a bunch of the front brake parts, and a new/rebuilt water pump.

• 2 weeks later...

The hubcaps that came with the car are a mismatched and beat up group from quite a bit later Studebakers. The originals for this car appear to be essentially "baby moon" type. There wasn't lettering or a logo for '51 - '52 (for the "dog dish" or "poverty" caps - the full-wheel covers DO have logos). Given that, I found a set of new baby moons on eBay. Downside is they have enough dome to them that the rear fender skirts won't fit. I also ordered a set of trim rings, but the seller was down to their last ONE (which they sent). Three more on backorder. Also swapped out the front bumper end bolts from the galvanized/rust hardware-store ones that were on there to a pair that I cleaned up from the parts car.

20171203_hubcaps.jpg

• Like 1

Parts car items #16 & 17 - front license plate bracket & wheel rims. Got the plate off the bracket, and soaked the plate bracket & bolts in Evap O Rust for a couple of days. Also straightened the bracket some, though it has an arch to it to match the center of the bumper. Painted & installed today. My wife got me a novelty plate for the front based on the "UFO" idea that my son came up with. Wheel rims - got the 5 that were on/in the parts car to the tire shop yesterday to have the tires removed, and then took the rims over to the powder coater. Took longer to settle on a color than I had waited at the tire shop, but working with the powder coat guy I think it will be a good choice... Anyway, a very close representation of the colors I'm going for is on the Dec. 2017 cover of Turning Wheels (Studebaker Driver's Club magazine). Also ordered the wide-white bias-look radials. I didn't think I would go for bias-look radials (I had done bias-plies on the '51 Buick), but the tire shop talked me into it. In driving the bias-plies on the Buick, they lighten up the steering a lot (to what was intended back when it was designed), but they are very squishy when cornering.

front_plate_01.jpg

front_plate_02.jpg

front_plate_03.jpg

front_plate_04.jpg

• Like 1

Now there's cleaning off the blue protective coating, adding the hubcap clips, putting them on the car... These bias-look radials were wrapped so the two sides were pressed together. This made them as hard as actual bias tires to get the air inside. There's only 3 whitewalls here because the tire shop couldn't get the air into the 4th one (after much trying)! They said they used to have a stronger air source but it was removed. They stayed until past closing time to finish these 3 & they'll try again tomorrow to get the air in. Anyway, that blackwall is a (much) lower-cost radial for the spare.

The bias-look radial looks more like bias-ply than I thought it would... It's not just a wide-white radial...

tires_01.jpg

tires_02.jpg

tires_03.jpg

North American Powder Coating - off Grant at I-10. He's good & quick, and if you can use a color he has in stock, it's $50/wheel.

The tires are Coker - they're the "American Classic" model. I got them through Discount Tire - since they price match anything, their price was a little lower than ordering through Coker's website, even with Coker offering free shipping right now. Though the Discount Tire website doesn't bring up any Coker tires, just ask them & they'll call Coker no problem.

Got the wheels cleaned up & on. Skipping the in-process photos. It's a couple of hours to clean off that blue paint (water soluble) and sand the powder coat out of the lug nut holes. And no, I didn't jack it up to get the wheel vent holes all lined up like that...

52_Stude_newtires_01.jpg

52_Stude_newtires_02.jpg

52_Stude_newtires_03.jpg

52_Stude_newtires_04.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eric W said:

And now that the wheel / tire is so much better to look at, I don't want to cover them up.

Good move, I agree wholeheartedly!

I had a very good Studebaker friend that would say "The only thing I like skirts on is women."

Thanks for the comments, guys. Parts car item #18 - horn ring. I wasn't really thinking about this, but the chrome on some of the interior parts in the coupe is pretty thin. I tried some Simichrome on the horn ring of the parts car, and it cleaned up pretty well. First photo, upper left portion of the horn ring cleaned up. 2nd photo - whole thing cleaned up. When I disassembled the horn ring from the coupe, I found the few "horn" parts are just gone, so I transferred them over from the parts car, though I couldn't get the wire down the steering column. I probed the bottom end of the column (from the engine compartment side), and it's gummed up with grease. I may clean that out at some point, but there's a button under the left side dash for the horn now. The steering wheel overall is bent, so even if all of the horn parts are in there, it won't work. The steering wheel seems to be bent towards the driver. Not sure how that would happen, but the horn ring seems like it would make constant contact. Anyway, the chrome part looks nicer, and the emblem is less faded and has fewer cracks.

Horn ring is held on by two 5/32" SHCS's, one on each steering wheel spoke. These screws have plastic "spool" pieces on them to allow the ring to move. The ring is "sprung" up off the steering wheel by a foam rubber ring. In the parts car, this ring had taken a set, so I added a thin piece of foam to it to thicken it up.

horn_ring_01.jpg

horn_ring_02.jpg

horn_ring_03.jpg

horn_ring_04.jpg

horn_ring_05.jpg

• Like 2

Should the steering box have semi-fluid grease in it? Usually grease (chassis grease) is wiped off the worm after a few turns and there is no lubrication. Semi-fluid grease will flow back. When ordinary grease is added, it is just wiped off and pushed up into the steering column. Eventually it will arrive at the steering wheel if enough grease it pumped in. My 1939 Stude has a "grease nipple" on the steering box but it has no ball in it.

Not sure how far I'm going with this, but the parts car had new wire harness in the trunk. Got it out today and labeled the leads. Wires on the left in the photo are the right side of under the hood. Headlights are up in the center, and under the dash is wrapped around to the right. The bundles at the bottom - left one is harness to the rear lights, right one is additional pieces that go under the hood, and the couple at the bottom are additional under-dash pieces. Second photo is the diagram / wire list.

wires_01.jpg

wires_02.jpg

I'm not sure yet where it goes, but I haven't seen anything like the '51 Buick where the rear light wiring came down from the right side of the dash/firewall, back along the right front floor, wrapping around the right edge of the front seat to the center of the back of the seat, between the front & back seats along the center of the floor, then into a tunnel at front edge of back seat to the left side, then up into the trunk at the left side... I expect the Studebaker to be more economical with wiring, with as straight a line as possible from the left side of the dash back along the left side.

Though part of the Buick having such a lengthy routing is that the hydraulic pump for the power windows is in the right front fender, and the hydraulic line for the rear windows pops through the firewall on the right side, following the same routing as the wiring, but passes through the tunnel at the front of the back seat to Tee under the middle of the back seat to a line to the window cylinder on each side... And there's also a tee at the center of the back of the front seat for the line to the left side of the seat for the power seat cylinder... The fantastic complexity of an independent hydraulic system just to drive 4 windows and a seat adjuster...

• 2 weeks later...

Tucson, 4th of January. 78F in the afternoon. There was a late spring / early summer type crowd at the cruise night tonight due to the great weather. This is to remind me why I'm still here in August, when it's closer to 120F in the shade...

20180104_01.jpg

20180104_02.jpg

20180104_03.jpg

20180104_04.jpg

• Like 2

Wire harness will be a while. Since the wire terminals at the front lights are different, I can't just do the dash-to-under-hood harness by itself. Also have to replace all of the light sockets & front light wiring (the kit included parts for that). I also found that the wire terminals at the headlight switch are not all the same either, so there's some adapting to be done there as well. Given that, I'd expect "adapting" to occur at other items I haven't even looked at, so I don't want to get into it now. I signed up for a show next month, and I don't want to miss that because the wires are out.

Parts car items #11, 12, and 19. #11 - oil filter & bracket - cleaned these off and got them installed. You can see how dirty they were in an earlier post. Thought about doing the full bare metal & repaint, but this goes back to what one of the other forum members pointed out - then there'd be a couple of way-too-nice-looking parts right up top. #12 - fuel pump - after discussion w/ some in the local club, decided going fully original with this isn't worth it. For one, these earliest-V8 fuel pumps are much more expensive to rebuild, and there's a good pump already on the car. Also saw & heard some speak of "leave the pump on there for appearance, but run an electric pump". So I put the '51-'52 pump on there for looks, but also because the oil fitting from the parts car runs a line from the head to the fuel pump. So rather than cap the fitting, I just put the line in place as well. So this pump will circulate oil, but there's no pushrod (or fuel line to/from), so the pump itself is just for looks. I only had these things on & off about 4 times to figure out the order that things need to be tightened before they're buried by something else... #19 - Left side air vent screen from the parts car. Saw these in a catalog for $22 (+tax & shipping), so the parts car keeps providing value.

First two photos are a reminder of the starting point.

oil_filter_01.jpg

oil_filter_02.jpg

oil_filter_03.jpg

oil_filter_04.jpg

oil_filter_05.jpg

vent_screen_01.jpg

First chance to start it & check for leaks today. Opened the oil filter canister - mostly to get a filter part number (Hastings LF101). It didn't look too bad, so I closed it back up & started the engine. Slight leak from the filter canister lid - tightened the bolt that holds the lid on to fix that. Let it warm up a little - no other obvious leaks. Drove it around for a couple minutes. Slight leak at the fuel pump flange, but none of the tubes or tube fittings leaked. I had moved the gasket for the fuel pump from the parts car, so no telling how old that was. I'll make up another gasket & order another filter.

• 2 weeks later...

Last weekend, got a few minutes to make a new gasket for the fuel pump flange. Still might be the slightest bit weepy there, but it's drivable. Took it to the cruise night this past Thursday. Anyway, tried again this morning to get some photos (posted below). This is just down the street from my house.

20180128_left_side2.jpg

20180128_left_front2.jpg

20180128_left_rear2.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Parts car items #20 - door and window handle escutcheons. Saw these in a catalog for $12 each, so a little more value out of the parts car. Pulled these from the rear doors since the fronts were faded and cracked from years in the sun. The door handles are easy to pull - exposed screw head right in the center of the handle. The window cranks have to push the door card back to slide the escutcheon back to expose a pin through the crank handle. The pin pushes out fairly easily - I used a small drill bit. Got all 4 onto the coupe - on the right window crank, there was a spring behind the escutcheon that holds the escutcheon out to cover the pin, preventing the pin from dropping back out. On the left door, the spring was gone, so there was a cotter pin that was just the slightest bit bent open that won't fall out. This replaces 3 completely mis-matched escutcheons and one that was just missing.

door_before.jpg

door_01.jpg

door_02.jpg

• Like 1

Ordered a couple of parts that maybe I can get installed before a show next week. Left-side rearview mirror, one of several different types for 1952. I'd thought about one of those clip-on generic mirrors, but since NOS from '52 is right there in a catalog... I didn't do the right side because when installed symmetrically, I figured there's no way to actually see the right side mirror from the driver's seat. I judged the position from photos and the mirror location on the parts car. It looks low compared with how mirrors are on present-day cars, but it works. Also got the NOS hood & trunk scripts. I was considering repainting the letters and cleaning up the overflow of some of the white, but since these are NOS I'll just leave them as-is.

mirror_01.jpg

mirror_02.jpg

mirror_03.jpg

scripts_01.jpg

Nice Eric! Restoration while still driving, I've always thought that was one of the best methods to use. (Unfortunately, sometimes I don't listen to my own advice and have several cars apart and scattered about the shop :( )

Who had the NOS mirror?

The n has extra white that ran over. Since it's chrome, I can probably get the extra white off with some solvent.

I got the "Commander" lettering onto the trunk today. Found that two of the holes still had the trim clips in them (painted over). Punched them out, then filed the holes a little to shift them in the direction of the pins on the lettering. Also found the top of the "C" was squeezed down about 3/8" from where the hole was in the trunk. Looking at photos of other cars, I think the hole in the trunk is correct, and the letter C got bent down some. So I carefully bent the letter until it aligned with all 4 holes. I also filed the extra chrome flash out from the inside of the letters.

commander_01.jpg

commander_03.jpg

• Like 3

First show yesterday that wasn't a cruise night. Big differences from a cruise night (to me) are a required can't-move-it time from 10am - 3pm, and a lot of general public in attendance who may or may not know anything about what they're seeing. Overall, I think the car was received very well. I'm always surprised after doing so many things to get a car to a show that people will assume "it's all original" or "I found it that way, just polished it up". Well, I'm trying to replace all the non-original parts with originals, but it's not like it left the factory and stayed that way. Many things were replaced along the way, and for this particular car, it meant many things were replaced with whatever they had around the shop (its history as a commercial advertising vehicle), not Studebaker-sourced replacements. Nearly all appreciated the condition - they were happy to see a Studebaker rather than be negative about the roof paint. Nearly all were more positive about the roof, and some thought it should stay just the way it is. My thought is to have it redone to a factory 2-tone color combination (1952 Tahoe Green or 1950-1 Shenandoah Green). Anyway, 3 photos from early in the morning, and the last 2 were from just before leaving.

This event is called the BBQ & Blues car show, so they had several local food vendors on site as well as a couple of live bands. The headliner band had a cowboy/western looking guy who sounded like Jimi Hendrix doing rock & blues classics - very good, though a little louder than I needed for my assigned parking spot. That's something else I think they do well for this show - assigned parking spaces with a lot of space between the cars. Some were by class, but many weren't. Makes it much easier when everyone is showing up - as the cars pass the gate and are told where their spots are, there's generally only 1 or 2 cars moving at the same time on any given row. We had 3 days of rain leading up to the show, and it was quite foggy in the morning, but as I got to the site, the sky cleared, and it was a nice day. This show was rained out last year and had to go to a rain date.

20180217_show1_01.jpg

20180217_show1_02.jpg

20180217_show1_03.jpg

20180217_show1_04.jpg

20180217_show1_05.jpg

• Like 4