1956 Century coupe 3 day auction no reserve - not mine

lancemb

2 hours ago, wndsofchng06 said:

How so? Certainly not original upholstery,  seat looks fine though.  I have some 56 century 2dr seats in the storage building,  now I gotta go look. 

In the description it said seats were restored to original factory, but that's not true. That's all I was trying to point out.  Also I got a small laugh out of the numbers matching part.

• Like 1

Hi guys , as I have the above mentioned 56 century in my watch list, could you tell me the where this fits in the Buick range for that year as there is also a very nice 56  riviera for sale on eBay currently about same money and wonder how they compare equipment spec etc. I know the century was a more powerful car than standard , but little else.

cheers

pilgrim

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)

An interesting car.  The power windows are a good option.  Also saw it has the factory rear speaker switch. The rear bumper J bars look solid which is huge! 

A nice driver indeed, and also a lot of work to restore.

One thing I wonder about are all the misspellings in the advertisement.  To me that sorta indicates buyer beware of a scammer.

I bid on this Century on the first listing.  You will notice it "sold" once already on June 21 for $10,300, perhaps a non paying bidder?  If you look at this sellers other vehicles you will see the same words "no reserve, sold to highest bidder", yet his other listings are shown completed but then re-listed.  I called him about the Century to ask about the advertised re-built engine and transmission and the claim of 2 owner history but he said he was unable to provide any paperwork on anything and that what you see in the pictures is what you get and he didn't have anything else.  He said he is just a re-seller and doesn't know much about the cars he sells.  I am reluctant to bid seriously on it.

• Like 3

My opinion only...if he can't supply you with a video of the car at initial start up, running for a few minutes and even driving, I wouldn't fool with it.  I just don't understand how he knows that the engine was rebuilt and a two owner car, but "conveniently" doesn't know much else.  Maybe it's time to take a 2nd look at the Special?

• Like 1

There's also the fact that he says engine and transmission are numbers matching, when such things didn't really exist until I believe 1958? There are no numbers to match, unless you're taking the casting numbers and cross referencing them to match 1956 production sheets.

15 hours ago, Beemon said:

There's also the fact that he says engine and transmission are numbers matching, when such things didn't really exist until I believe 1958? There are no numbers to match, unless you're taking the casting numbers and cross referencing them to match 1956 production sheets.

Started putting VIN on engine block in 57, but not consistently until 58.

• Like 1

If he is looking for over $10,000 for this car, without going into a lot of detail, my thoughts are that there are better '56's out there for that kind of money. I really don't think the buyer of this car will be happy once it is in their possession for a few days.

• Like 1