1938 Buick Special Hood

bucik

Hi there,

I bought 1938 Buick Special recently and the car's hood was stolen in shipment. Does anyone have any idea where I can find a replacement? Any help is appreciated. In the attachment you can find the car with the missing hood.

Thanks

DSC_1045.JPG

bucik, 

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. The best supplier of any similar Buick part between 1936 and 1941 is Dave Tacheny. You can reach him by phone between 4 pm and 7 pm Central time at 763-427-3460. You may also wish to consider joining the 36-38 Buick Club. You can check out the club at http://www.3638buickclub.org/. You can download a membership application from the membership page of the website. If Dave does not have one available, send me a private message with your contact information and I can place a part wanted ad in the club newsletter, The Torque Tube II. 

Wow. I can see someone stealing something easy to grab like the hubcaps, bumper medallion or fog lamps, but the hood? I'm sure you've had some interesting discussions with the shipper. Matthew's suggestions are spot-on. Looks like a beautiful car, best of luck making it whole again.

A couple on eBay now. 

A nice condition one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1938-BUICK-SPECIAL-HOOD-HOT-ROD-RAT-STREET-CUSTOM-38-/361625633669?hash=item5432914385:g:qlQAAOSwkl5XdqZt&vxp=mtr

And this seller says he has the other side also

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1938-Buick-LH-Hood-Section-About-69-x-27-x-7-Heavy-Check-Shipping-First-/361873803474?hash=item54415c08d2:g:f7kAAOSw8d9U0Yb7&vxp=mtr

And welcome to the forum. Would love too hear and see more on the Special. Why not drop back and introduce yourself in the Introduction thread

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/157115-please-introduce-yourself/?page=47

and start a Me and My Buick thread here. 

http://forums.aaca.org/forum/58-me-and-my-buick/

Open transport claims another victim. Always ship enclosed. Sorry to see this. I agree with Ben I bet it blew off in shipping not stolen. See if there are damaged mounting points and scratched paint. This is someone elses fault not yours and they should take care of the expenses to put it back right. If you have insurance make a claim and let them hunt down the ones who should be responsible.

Lot of speculating going on here that's really not helping the original poster with finding the parts he needs.  If the gentleman thinks it was stolen,  then so be it. No matter what happened, he still needs a hood. He posted properly in the Buy/Sell, if he needs information about safe shipping I invite him to post in the AACA Towing section. 

Thanks for all the answers. That's correct, the car was bought after it was hit in the rear-right side and there is a stretch foil in the back in the picture. Nice catch!

Thanks for the links and phone#. If anyone else has any idea how to get the hood, please ping me either here or via private message. Cheers

• Like 1

On 6/11/2017 at 0:28 PM, dracenroc said:

Sad...nice car! Hope you will get it fixed soon!

Just curios...it looks like the lh hood is missing too? And whats this in the rear on the lh side?

DSC_1045.JPG.18c9ef74510770a2c288418b90ebc298.JPG

Can't be too critical of all the things pointed out. I guess it's just the Swiss watch. I heard they are precise.

Bernie

I'm pretty sure I have all the 38 hood parts. also have front fenders, but they are not 6 wheel fenders. also have running boards and bumpers and some misc items. problem is where you are at. where are you depends on the price. I don't need them anymore. that project has gone away. if you are close to Connecticut, it will cost you a good bottle of rum. lol. if you are overseas, well............

john

home of the worlds fastest 350 supercharged buick front engine dragster

• Like 1

marcin,

one slight problem.....I don't do pictures, own a cell phone, don't know how to operate one, no ipad or whatever. just this plain old pc. I refuse to learn some of the new technologies out there. I make my own parts for my dragster. people who know me ask for pics....come over and take your own I tell them.

so, if your friend is up for a road trip to ellington, Connecticut, tell him to bring his truck, we will load it up with all the 38 stuff that's left and then proceed to have a drink from the good bottle of rum he brings with him. that's the best I can and will do.