1927 Willys Knight Roadster $950.

What are the chances the engine could be got going without major work? If it was a random flathead engine I would guess about 50/50 (in fact my record is better than that). But I never worked on a sleeve valve engine.

From what I have heard about sleeve valve engines if it is not frozen there is a good chance it will run and run well.

Columbus, NJ was once the site of a fabulous horde. It started as a junkyard that covered perhaps 10 acres whose owner had an eye for unique and wonderful stuff. Besides cars dating back as far as this one, he had vintage bulldozers, graders, and a few true "steam shovels,"1930s travel trailers parked in rows, and even a few steam locomotives. The story I was told was that in the early 1970s developers had wanted his land, and caused a judge to shut down his operation for zoning violations He retaliated by putting up a fence with big wooden panels depicting Uncle Sam and other symbols of liberty and just letting everything sit rather than selling his property. The collection sat untouched into the late 1990s, although his fields were empty when I detoured over that way circa 2005. I later heard that the collection was cleared by a series of auctions where people got incredible deals.

I wonder if this car was part of this horde. It looks too good to have sat through dozens of New Jersey winters, but some of his stuff was in sheds.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Peter S said:

Columbus, NJ was once the site of a fabulous horde. It started as a junkyard that covered perhaps 10 acres whose owner had an eye for unique and wonderful stuff. Besides cars dating back as far as this one, he had vintage bulldozers, graders, and a few true "steam shovels,"1930s travel trailers parked in rows, and even a few steam locomotives. The story I was told was that in the early 1970s developers had wanted his land, and caused a judge to shut down his operation for zoning violations He retaliated by putting up a fence with big wooden panels depicting Uncle Sam and other symbols of liberty and just letting everything sit rather than selling his property. The collection sat untouched into the late 1990s, although his fields were empty when I detoured over that way circa 2005. I later heard that the collection was cleared by a series of auctions where people got incredible deals.

I wonder if this car was part of this horde. It looks too good to have sat through dozens of New Jersey winters, but some of his stuff was in sheds.

The guy was "Lucky" Mahalchik. An Ace fighter pilot from WWII. Most of the vehicles were military surplus with a lot of beyond hope civilian cars mixed in.Nearby Fort Dix was the source of most of the surplus iron. The auction was in 87. I don't think this Willys was in there.