Post a picture of your father or grandfathers car..

nick8086

This is my great-grandfather with his ‘68 Cougar, around 1976. He and grandma raised me, and by the time I was 12, he was letting me drive and wrench on it, and gave it to me in the early 80’s. I don’t know how it survived my, shall we say “exuberant” youth, but eventually I returned it to stock, and it’s still with me all these years later.

IMG_1023.jpeg

IMG_1500.jpeg

• Like 18

I owned 2 or 3 more (including a big block GT), but it really is hard to beat the J code 302, with 4V and 10:1. Easy to live with. What has never been easy for my anatomy are the seats. They gave me a lower back ache when I was young, and 45 years hasn’t changed that at all.

• 2 weeks later...

My father was into classic cars. That is where I got the bug. This photo was taken by my father in our driveway in the 1970’s. Of course, the old cars were kept in the garage and the daily drivers remained outside. My father has now passed and I am the current owner of these cars. He bought the Packard in 1968. I had it restored in 2011. My dad bought the Mercedes 300S Sunroof Coupe in 1974. It continues to maintained in the same condition that it was in when my father purchased it in 1974. If anyone knows anything about the prior ownership history of these cars,I would love to hear from you. Both cars were bought in the Chicagoland area. 

001775.jpeg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Here is my dad's first car.   36 Ford? He was the first person in his family to get a car.  His dad didn't get his drivers license until he was in his 50s.

July 18 Thumb Drive 2 360.jpg

image.jpeg.4e7e3d30263fd874d517c9874e531b89.jpegyour Dad’s might be a 35, here is my father in law’s 36 Ford. My wife and I surprised him with it on Father’s Day about 16 years ago. He was born in 36 and always wanted one. 

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a picture of my Grandfather’s car from around 1935 or so parked in front of what I believe is the tavern he owned at the time. He passed long before I was born,

IMG_0931.jpegThis is a couple of photos of a surplus mail truck my Dad bought from the postmaster of the office he worked at about 1952.  My Mother always swore it was a Model T Ford but that seems unlikely in the 1950’s. Maybe someone can confirm my thought it is an A variant?

IMG_0926.jpeg

IMG_0925.jpeg

IMG_0924.jpegThe next photo is my Dad and me with his 1940 Plymouth Road King(?) that he bought about 1955 or do.

IMG_0928.jpegAnd this one is the 1949 Plymouth Special Deluxe(?) that he bought after throwing a rod through the block on the 1940. This one suffered the same fate in the early 1960’s.

IMG_0932.jpegThese were followed by several Plymouths and Dodges and one lonely 62 or 63 Chevrolet two door that my Dad hated after he bought it. He only kept it two years not even long enough to destroy the engine😁

Edited by plymouthcranbrook
Add images (see edit history)
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, keiser31 said:

First photo shows a Graham and the truck is an AA maybe. Not a T.

I had asked about the car earlier and the consensus was a Grahm-Paige 1928 or 1929. I thought that the truck must have been an AA at least due to the time frame. Early 1930’s to about 1950 seems about right for a postal vehicle’s working life.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)

3 hours ago, ericmac said:

Was this photo taken at Gilmore? If so I was there, and I remember the car well. It was (and is) a real stunner.

Yes.  thanks.   My dad restored it in his garage at home. He had a lot of help from his skilled buddies.  Restoring that that was mistake in retrospect as the car was a nice original to start with. 

Here are my mom and dad at pebble.

July 18 Thumb Drive 2 832.jpg

• Like 2