1954 century sedan. GA to NC

NC-car-guy

Does the car have a dash pot.  I think it's called a dash pot. maybe a dash pod.  This is the small metal bellows with a pin and spring sticking out that comes into contact with the linkage at the carb.  It is supposed to extend when you step on the gas.  It's manual so no other lines or systems with it.  And when you let off the gas pedal it is supposed to slow the return of the linkage to idle to prevent stalling.  It is usually present on Automatic trans cars, not so much on stick shift cars.  And if it returns to it's rest spot too soon the engine will stall.  If you need pictures I can get some.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

Does the car have a dash pot.  I think it's called a dash pot. maybe a dash pod.  This is the small metal bellows with a pin and spring sticking out that comes into contact with the linkage at the carb.  It is supposed to extend when you step on the gas.  It's manual so no other lines or systems with it.  And when you let off the gas pedal it is supposed to slow the return of the linkage to idle to prevent stalling.  It is usually present on Automatic trans cars, not so much on stick shift cars.  And if it returns to it's rest spot too soon the engine will stall.  If you need pictures I can get some.

Yes has dashpot.  Havent checked the operation of it

12 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

Not to be a smart ass but check them again.  I chased a similar sounding problem on my Bluebird Special once forever. Swapped out the coil early on with no change. Did a complete tune up and carburetor rebuild. Finally, tried a known good used coil. Problem fixed. 

Lol. I meant i agreed with you and they were first on my list to check today....  ?

• Haha 1

Btw, got a box for to mail the hood ornaments parts in, now just need a couple more weeks to get them packed then a couple more to get it out to the mailbox and you'll be set to finish that install. Can't wait to see that beauty mounted, it is nicer than the one I kept ya know? 

• Thanks 1

Good news/ bad news....

Good:  i got all tune up parts locally.. points,  condensor, rotor button, cap, and coil. 

Bad:  when i went to check the choke per beemon's recommendation:

A: choke heat tube is completely missing

B: secondaries in the carb base are frozen.  I tried to turn with pliers gently,  but they wouldn't break loose.

Ugh!  Carb rebuilds are expensive.  Is this something I could/  should attempt at home?  Would you believe I've never rebuilt more than a lawnmower carb... guess I've been lucky.

• Like 1

Got this one... all the butterflies are free but it appears the accelerator pump is stuck.  Soaking it in warm soapy water now I don't want to pull the other one off the car since it's still running I'd rather rebuild one and then just swap

20170903_160649.jpg

20170903_160710.jpg

20170903_162456.jpg

20170903_162450.jpg

Matt, take your current carb (don't dismantle!) and make two baths for it - one in hot water, and one in ice water. If you read my thread I did on my WCFB rebuild, I had the same problem. Basically I'm assuming the WCFB came off of a grandpa car where he could have gotten by with a 2-barrel because he obviously never used the 4-barrel. Anyways, dunk the carb base in the hot and cold water a few times, holding it a few seconds in each bath, trying to turn the butterflies by hand. It should free up after about 4 or 5 transitions. As for the choke, that is definitely your driveability issue. Your secondaries not working will only give you part throttle but won't kill the engine. Your choke not opening after warming up will give you a really rich condition. If the heat stove is missing, go get yourself the Edelbrock electric choke for the interim. AutoZone/O'Reilly's should have them.

I should also note when using an electric choke, you have to file down the dog ear the spring rides on so it doesn't bind up. You don't have to file down much, and it's not a detrimental change. You'll also need a vacuum cap for where the heat pipe went, otherwise you'll have a vacuum leak there.

Alternatively, I supposed you could just swap bases, but my idea would save you from rebuilding for now.

Edited by Beemon (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Thanks.   And the choke is stuck open!  Lol....   I'll try your trick while i rebuild my spare.  Missing the heat pipe,  that vacuum leak might have been an issue too! 

If the choke was stuck open and the heat pipe was missing, it was more than likely a vacuum leak issue. Something was obviously wrong in there!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Beemon said:

If the choke was stuck open and the heat pipe was missing, it was more than likely a vacuum leak issue. Something was obviously wrong in there!

Im definitely trying your water bath truck and electric choke tomorrow! 

5 minutes ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Different shaped butterflies,  and the vacuum port for the advance line was pointed the opposite direction

Was that off of the 55? I would have assumed the WCFB would be the same across years, but I guess they were technically still new and revolutionary for the time. How were the butterflies shaped differently? Just angle of attack in the base? Looking forward to seeing your car out and about on the streets!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

Wha's up with your cell phone camera dude?

Care package on its way!

It's a $50 phone and the lens broke a month or so ago.  It gets worse as pieces fall out.  Now the cheapest phone I've found is $150 and I'm not that interested....lol. I just got into grad school and had to buy a computer... wanted to cry.

• Like 1