NC-car-guy

1954 century sedan. GA to NC

Can't beat $100 for a gawranteed used radiator.  

Next one I have that goes out I'm going with this. A couple '54 Buick Highway guys report excellent quality. 

http://classicfordradiator.com/1954-56-NEW-Buick-3-row-radiator-regular-core-design-3131176.aspx  

I'd have to try and talk them down a few more dollars though, always worth a try

• Like 3

Benefits of AACA Membership.

2 hours ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Holy moly!

Like holy moly how? Like holy moly that's too much or holy moly great deal for something you probably won't have to ever worry about again? 

• Like 1

No matter how much you spend, be sure to incorporate some sort of filter for the antifreeze to prevent any debris from cycling back to the top tank. 

Panythose will work, even if the store clerk looks at you funny when you buy some.

• Like 1

My girlfriend stopped looking for hers a while back, but I know where they are. ;)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

Like holy moly how? Like holy moly that's too much or holy moly great deal for something you probably won't have to ever worry about again? 

Holy moly in that unless shipping is free,  by the time you're done,  you're in almost $700 anyway 

Got all the heater controls reinstalled.  Dash cleaned, glove box patched and ducts fixed. Just need to fix the clock. 

20170422_115000.jpg

20170422_143122.jpg

20170422_154158.jpg

• Like 2

Is that a round brake knob. A lot of 54s had 55 style brake knobs. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrEarl said:

Is that a round brake knob. A lot of 54s had 55 style brake knobs. 

Indeed it is.  I thought it had paint on it so I removed it for cleaning.  Turned out to be really old wax.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Holy moly in that unless shipping is free,  by the time you're done,  you're in almost $700 anyway 

Good insurance ain't cheap. That's pretty much wholesale, other companies buy from them then turn around and sell for 7-800. 

1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

Good insurance ain't cheap. That's pretty much wholesale, other companies buy from them then turn around and sell for 7-800. 

Wow 

1 hour ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Wow 

Yeah, I took a good woopin' on my '39 spec rad. The guy really had me. Wouldnt even consider a repair. Oh no, you meed a recore! Save my original stuff, says I! Its 39 only. Come to pick up. Oh, the scapper just left with that stuff sorry, as he pockets some more cash! 595.oo to recore your radiator

Was it good for you? A little late to complain. Talk about having ya by the short hairs

Buyer beware with radiator repair guys these daze! New bolt in? Doesnt seem so costly to me now.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Clock is almost done, moved on to stripping paint off the roof..... as much was flaking off, I thought this would be easier. 20170423_165746.thumb.jpg.5f210dbd24c583b096669ed8e009d3af.jpg

20170423_165754.thumb.jpg.4d18a85e87d995029467e60008e8696f.jpg

• Like 2

Radiator shop called.  Not repairable.  He said the core material is too brittle.  He's going to get me a price on a core (non-original style) tomorrow.  In the meantime I've asked 2carb40 to hook me up with the used radiator he knows of.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Radiator shop called.  Not repairable.  He said the core material is too brittle.  He's going to get me a price on a core (non-original style) tomorrow.  In the meantime I've asked 2carb40 to hook me up with the used radiator he knows of.

Probably best to get the radiator from the shop now before they start adding service $$$.

• Like 1

Lol.  I'm not worried about that.  This is a small local shop that has been around forever.  Ive used them for the past 3 year for all my towing

15 hours ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Funny how some radiators held up and others did not.  My '50, from So Carolina, was the same. Had to install new core. I just acquired one from a '50 Roadmaster and had it rodded out . Core is in "great shape" per the shop doing the work.  Must have been the water.

Ben

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Funny how some radiators held up and others did not.  My '50, from So Carolina, was the same. Had to install new core. I just acquired one from a '50 Roadmaster and had it rodded out . Core is in "great shape" per the shop doing the work.  Must have been the water.

Ben

Depends on how long folks left the antifreeze unchanged.  It gets acidic over a period of time.  The faithful drain and fillers had long lived radiators.   

• Like 2

When you get your radiator ready to fill and if you have hard water in your area,use distilled water to mix,it will give you a lot less trouble in the future.Up here in the northeast we have very hard water so I always use distilled and add just a table spoon of vegetable oil,really keeps it from build up inside.Looks like you're making progress.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

purchase the 50/50 mix. Drive happy. ?

I refuse to pay for water in a bottle....for me or the car. Lol. 

• Like 6

Continued to strip paint,  the drip edges have zero rust....20170427_183937.thumb.jpg.ff5fb47b5745418bef59a04ea87d25c6.jpg

Always wear your PPE!

20170427_183154.thumb.jpg.a0f8aa5b26a20934068d7cc064f36b5a.jpg

• Like 3

I agree on not paying for water until it comes to distilled for my old girls.the ones with tires that is.Nice tee shirt!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RivRider said:

I agree on not paying for water until it comes to distilled for my old girls.the ones with tires that is.Nice tee shirt!

Lol. Sorry if the tee is too much.  One of my thrift store buys for working on cars.