Front parking light lenses for a 1963 Riviera

JanZverina

Most likely. I know my brake pedal and theirs was on backorder at the same time, and opgi wouldn't price match CARS despite their guarantee that they will. Same with some sill plates I ordered. But my brother had bought me an opgi gift certificate, so I had to use them. Never again if I can help it.

For another reference, check out the cost of the interior courtesy light lenses.  OPGI wants about 4 times as much, and they're the exact same thing.  If you try to get them to price match, they say they can't go that low, despite them being the EXACT same thing......

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, DQD. I scored an original outer and inner lens combo in good shape on eBay so I'll let you know once I install them. I prefer good originals to "it's kind of OK but..." repros. It's beyond me why vendors can't make the effort to replicate these pieces perfectly, given today's digital age of 3D printing, etc.   

Jan,

as an alternative you possibly could try to restore your originals if not cracked or broken by using a very fine 2000 grit wet and dry paper and a cork or rubber sanding block with a soapy water solution. This will usually remove most of the marks and blemishes. A nice polish with a automotive polish (test first before using) will then bring out the lustre.

As a daily driver ( soon ) they came up a treat and most of the marks and scratches have gone and are certainly nice and clean looking. 

Then  while the lamp was out, used a fine mill saw file to clean off all the unsightly casting flash on the rear edges (top and bottom) of the lamp grille bars, giving a nice clean finish to each bar.

All this made a big difference to the lamps, sorry I don't have the fore and aft photos!

cheers

Rodney

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hi,

I am in the same situation as Jan was. I am need of an upgrade for my cracked turn signal lenses. I have feelers out to many of the vendors that advertise in the Riview. I have had no luck as far as finding acceptable used ones. A couple of the vendors pointed me in the direction of the reproductions by GM Obsolete. I am hesitant to order reproductions for the reason stated above about the CARS or OPGI lenses. Does anyone know if the lenses offered by all 3 come from the same vendor or if one of the 3 is the supplier for the other 2? GM Obsolete makes it sound as if they make there own. Any info on this appreciated. Thanks.

Bill

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

Contact GM Obsolete and ask them if they're wholesaling there lenses to OPGI and CARS.  Tell them about the fitment issues that are being discussed here.  Who know what may come of it.

I just threw that out there in the offhand chance that someone knew the answer and I would call if no one could supply an answer. I did call GM Obsolete and they said they manufacture their own and that they are the supplier for OPGI and that is it. The gentleman I talked to was a little bristly with me and my questions, so I decided not bring up the fitment issue. I then called CARS and asked them who made their lenses and they said they made their own. He also stated that they were on 6 week back order. OPGI currently shows 6 in stock and GM Obsolete shows 2 in stock. So the statements about who manufactures for whom appear to be true. I did bring the fitment issue up to CARS and the gentleman in true company fashion did not confirm or deny that they have ever had a fitment issue and stated that: " you will be very satisfied with the fitment of your lenses in 6 weeks". I wasn't exactly sure from the previous conversations if it was OPGI or CARS lenses that had the fitment issue. I took it to be OPGI. Perhaps DualQuadDave could clarify. Current prices: OPGI $203.70 each, GM Obsolete $169.95 each in their online catalog, $179.95 each on e-bay, CARS $139.50 each. That's all I have.

Bill

• 4 years later...
2 hours ago, 64RivieraLife said:

How do you remove the lens seems like mines is stuck i dont see what hokding it there either? Little please

Look at this thread. This should help you out.

Bill

As a close to the original discussion. I did buy replacement lenses from CARS, Inc. 2 or 3 years ago. The fit was perfect and the lenses look great.

Bill