Ornament? from Auto Service Garage that closed in 1936

Ric Dean

I have an automatic 'newly listed' search for 'lightning'  on eBay for 10+ years and have never seen one if these. Lightning rods are 'typically' 1/2 inch copper. I collect the stuff.  It doesn't look automotive to me. 

I'm going with Ben Hur's lance.

21 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

Good one!

Ditto on that...

When I saw this thread right when it was posted, I instantly thought that the 3-blade shape reminded me of an upscale lightning rod tip, but I'd never recalled seeing one that was plated....so I did not say anything. :)

...of course, it's hard to really get a good look at most rods still on a barn roof...unless you are a roofer..

anyways, we will never know why the guy had it in the toolbox, but must have been useful for some repair task?

• Like 1

What is the theory of the point?  Does it attract lightning better?  Or is it to act as double duty in case a dragon fall onto your building, you can have it for super?

An electrical engineer coworker stated he didn't understand the concept.  His thoughts were, the strike just traveled a few thousand feet, what difference does another twenty make?  My garage has a metal roof and one corner is grounded but maybe not the full eight foot rod.  One day lightning came down an oak tree less than eight feet away from the roof but the strike jumped into the wiring of the building instead.  No repairs were needed to the wiring but there was a fire in the structure.  Neighbor saw the whole thing.  I guess I need to put a point on the roof.

Sorry I haven’t replied to all the posts yet.

I can’t find the dang thing after taking the photos I guess that says something about me.

I will continue to look for it but one thing I can verify is that it is threaded at the bottom. 

Thanks much guys

Emjay, we lived in an old 2 story house with lightning rods while growing up. The way I remember it was the rod was installed above the highest point of the house and had a ground wire running to a metal stake in the soil. It was supposed to attract the lightning before it  hit the house and ground it to prevent damage to the house itself. Some large homes could have several rods on the corners of the house.

• Like 1

Very impressed with your collection. I'm not surprised that you didn't  recognize the tip as lightning, I think that these were different depending on where you were. I've seen different ones in PA than I saw growing up in New England, and different ones yet in Tennessee & Alabama. I don't know why I kept the one I have but at some point it will wind up on my final retirement barn, which is coming up too quickly!

• Like 1