Far from perfect

PWB

Wow - this '67 sold for 15G on EB*Y.

Pretty impressive in my opinion.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Buick-Riviera-CLEAN-/222348297296?_trkparms=gh1g%3DI222348297296.N36.S2.R3.TR6&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=B3dGtfmHgwpGOmoshkmgnj2bnEQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Base worn upholstery, bent bumper, no air, no antenna control, crank windows, rebuilt motor, big scratch on un-original paint, Mario Cart steering wheel.

Hope it went to a happy home. ;)

The bidders may have liked that it is an original California vehicle with black plate. Its got new paint and vinyl. Center console. Nice looking compared to most other 60s muscle cars. Its got the hot shit cornering lamps. I mean, yeah, it seems to be hacked with 66 grill and side lights, wrong wheel caps, wrong air cleaner, so on, but this vehicle is way more noble than most other none Rivieras...

Thats simply the magic of true California Muscle brother! It is also very close to San Francisco and a good pool of people with money to burn.

Personally if someone puts "CLEAN!" on the ad title, I remain skeptical. This car might not be as attractive to a pure originalist RoA card holding member. 

Edited by Chimera (see edit history)

You...don't...get...the...cornering lamps...???

Corning lights like those on the 67 are relatively rare on muscle cars and I think the 66-67 Riviera has the best looking around. They light up the lane next to you before turning into such darkness. Safety, noticeability, rarity, coolness, and looks; its got it all! And good luck finding a nice pair if you decide they are a must have...

I consider them a desirable on all from 66 to boat-tail. Way better than just some marker reflector as with the 68 and up. 

They just look cool as shit and really add to Riviera's special flare. There is my nickels worth.

I understand and appreciate the intent. They don't function as well as "promised". Hence their demise.

And there is nothing aesthetic about the unused lenses at stand still which dominated their life in whole.

A new brighter LED might promote usefulness now? Function before beauty - not the case in original design.

Just my opinion. I respect yours as well! ^_^

I don't think any lives were saved to illuminate the night time turn nor impress Hollywood ladies.

Dealer gimmick. $

No pun intentended

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

Yeah, perhaps brighting them up.

Looks are preference. But certainly other drivers are more likely to notice a big light on the side when in use, and safe driving is all about awareness. 

Think about the split window Corvette. It was actually not such a good idea because it made it harder to see, so they got ride of it. BUT, the one year feature that has a nice look makes them worth much more in dollars. OK, maybe thats not a good example to compare. STILL, because more often than not the cornering lamps were not chosen from factory, they are a relatively rare feature that most consider desirable, which ups the value to some degree. On you pure black widow, the solid chrome might be best however. 

I just think they look super sleek personally. 

On 12/24/2016 at 7:45 PM, Chimera said:

You...don't...get...the...cornering lamps...???

Corning lights like those on the 67 are relatively rare on muscle cars and I think the 66-67 Riviera has the best looking around. They light up the lane next to you before turning into such darkness. Safety, noticeability, rarity, coolness, and looks; its got it all! And good luck finding a nice pair if you decide they are a must have...

I consider them a desirable on all from 66 to boat-tail. Way better than just some marker reflector as with the 68 and up. 

They just look cool as shit and really add to Riviera's special flare. There is my nickels worth.

All due respect but a Buick Riviera is not a muscle car.  

It can go fast and blow the doors off many respected muscle cars as I proved when I street raced my 64 in high school but it is first and foremost a personal luxury car.  Period. 

3 hours ago, Paul K. said:

All due respect but a Buick Riviera is not a muscle car.  

It can go fast and blow the doors off many respected muscle cars as I proved when I street raced my 64 in high school but it is first and foremost a personal luxury car.  Period. 

That's why you add stiffer springs, a quicker gearbox, and a bigger stabilizer bar. :D

But really, wasn't it called a banker's hot rod back in the day?  I don't know that the muscle car and luxury car are mutually exclusive -- especially when the latter has a 425 with two 4-barrels.  You could get a Chevelle, GTO, or Vette with AC, power windows, etc., no?

Perhaps you are correct Paul K. Thanks for the perspective note. I agree with you in spirit that Buick Rivieras are MORE THAN just a muscle car class.

Merriam-Websters dictionary says about muscle cars that they are, "any of a group of American-made 2-door sports cars with powerful engines designed for high-performance driving."

Really what I meant to say was that the cornering lamps on a 66-67 are very unique compared to any other cars from that area, and are actually highly valuable and rare.

However, Rivieras do seem to have big muscles. Certainly they are not your simply low IQ muscle bound persona; but more of a sophisticated, luxurious, spacious, and rare breed.

I call them Luxury Sport Tanks myself. I mean we all know that Batman actually drives a 71 Boat Tail to work.

I guess we shall just agree to disagree on this one. They may first be the personal luxury vehicle, nevertheless its hard to say that they are not muscle headed juggernauts also.

Back to cornering lamps if I may. remember the 66-67 had no side market lamps or reflectors of any kind and the recessed design of the front and rear parking lamps make the car hard to see from the side on a dark night. For this reason cornering lamps also make the car much more visible to others. 

As to brightness, with the correct large original bulb and clean reflectors  I always thought they lighted the turn excellently.  After disassembling 66-67 lamps, they were a complex engineered option. 

Also remember 50 years ago many roadways and intersections weren't lighted like they are today. 

6 hours ago, kreed said:

Noticed this AM that it is relisted on EBay . Wonder what happened ? 

KReed 

ROA 14549

Perhaps the buyer viewed the car in person and realized...:huh:

she wasn't all that.

And it appears she got her front and rear springs mixed up.

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 7:17 PM, PWB said:

Wow - this '67 sold for 15G on EB*Y.

Pretty impressive in my opinion.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Buick-Riviera-CLEAN-/222348297296?_trkparms=gh1g%3DI222348297296.N36.S2.R3.TR6&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=B3dGtfmHgwpGOmoshkmgnj2bnEQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Base worn upholstery, bent bumper, no air, no antenna control, crank windows, rebuilt motor, big scratch on un-original paint, Mario Cart steering wheel.

Hope it went to a happy home. ;)

AND this '67 car has a '66 grill.

All wheel well trim missing - unobtainiam.

They forgot to reinstall all the cowling screws. Real pro job - probably covers the rust real well?

All indicative of driver level at best. I know what it could take to get that grill correct. OUCH :o

Yea it has some issues which make the asking price very optimistic. The 66 grille and parking lamp bezels wouldn't bother me as much as the bent front bumper from the sling of an old style tow truck and a hood with no 66 Riviera letters or 67 script. If the 66 grille and parking lamp bezels are nice they could be sold to buy a 67 parts in comparable condition. With no Riviera letters or script on the hood along with the replaced grille and bezels it was probably hit in front so one would want to inspect the frame extensions, rad support, and inner fenders. It is still (supposedly) a rest free car w/buckets and to anyone who has had to deal with cars from the rust belt that is a very attractive assest.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)