Chrysler Historical Archives Exist or Not?

hddennis

Years ago I tried to get information on a 1936 Dodge and was told Chrysler Archives were closed. In recent years I assumed everything was at the Chrysler Museum but I just read that the museum is being closed and turned into other uses. Does that mean there is no longer any branch of this company that has anything to do with it's own history??

Howard Dennis

Thanks for posting this link. Hopefully it will help some owners find a build sheet for their cars. They had misplaced  mine and never could find it when contacted years ago. I don't believe, other than making money off these requests, they have any concern about actual company history.

Howard Dennis

• Like 1

You are very wrong about Chrysler Historical.   Those answering inquiries are volunteers who care very much about history and helping.   Not every car's individual record still exists and at times the hobby has dug out more information than what the corporation maintained but they do their best with what they have available.

And many others share the same experience I have had on numerous occasions over many years.   I have never had one of those $45 checks cashed by Historical.

• Like 1

The historical archives were begun by Cliff Lockwood.  I believe he was a retired Chrysler employee with an interest if the history of the Chrysler Corporation and its products who went around to various departments to collect items that may have some historical value and saved them from destruction.  I believe most of the early information was collected in this manner.  Thus CHS has more information for some years than for others.  When CHS says they do not have dealers codes, for example, it is because no one passed the documents along to CHS and not because they can't find them or tossed them out.   

The staff at CHS do the best they can with the information they have access to.  If they do not have it, there is not much they can do.  I am another person who has found the staff to be very helpful. 

I just wish Chrysler of Canada had had a person similar to Cliff Lockwood.  All the Canadian build records were tossed years ago.  They went on the basis that the information was needed for the first seven years to help distributors and dealers obtain the correct parts for their customers' cars.  After that time frame interior parts, for example, would not be in stock and thus they would not need the build records.  No one thought they would be handy for car collectors, a hobby that did not flourish until after WW II.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

From my experience it is a pity they are not able to cross reference Serial # to engine # many cars loose the vin plate for whatever reason but the frame # is the engine # prefixed with the model code, no serial # no build card. The other thing is payment from the UK,, I'm sure at one time I could send a Debit Card #, money orders in $$ don't exist. Regarding the comments on the service staff Danielle Szostak-Viers has gone way beyond trying to fulfil my requests.  

On 13/12/2016 at 8:35 AM, 1941_Saratoga said:

@StillOutThere - your experience mirrors mine. I found them exceptionally helpful. I received a copy of my car's build record, and the check I sent was never cashed, and I've been taking that into account for the last 3 years while reconciling my checkbook.

Don't cheques die or expire after 6 months?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I have communicated with Danielle many times over the past couple of years, and she has always been responsive.  She recently asked me to fill out a form and send it in since their COVID related delays were over… I did, and she never asked me for a check or payment of any form.  I have enjoyed working with her, and I look forward to getting my build card soon.

Joe

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/17/2022 at 2:49 PM, dreaser said:

@Professor is Danielle at Stellantis, the link above and here? http://www.fcanorthamerica.com/company/Heritage/Pages/Build-Records.aspx

I have a 1956 Lancer I am trying to get a build sheet on.

Thank you.

No, 

you have to email her directly

danielle.szostak@fcagroup.com

They are still issuing build cards with proof of ownership as a requirement. Covid has slowed things obviously so be patient

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Yes patience is needed for this request.  I submitted my request March 15, 2021 and just received my build card today, March 2, 2022.  In my communications with Danielle, they were not able to return to work until October 2021 and have been playing catch up ever since.  I was excited to receive it and find out some more history on the car.  The service her group is providing is invaluable to auto history.

• Like 1

After 2 attempts in 3 years by mail with no response, I emailed Danielle (after seeing the address in this post thread). Yesterday I got an actual email response and apology for their delay.  

My excitement grows that I might get some actual history about my vehicle.

Thanks all.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

This is service is still available. They may even be clearing some of the backlog. I emailed Danielle yesterday afternoon and got a response this morning confirming my request and saying I can expect a copy of my build card in Q3 2022. 

I found an updated Stellantis form here: https://desoto.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/Stellantis-Build-Record-Only-Form-.pdf

• Like 2

I did receive my build information and it confirmed what the guy I bougth the vehicle from told me. Just having it in a photo copy form was worth the wait. They are very nice and overworked so be patient.

• Like 3

On 1/6/2022 at 11:10 AM, StillOutThere said:

I sent in a request about 3 months ago.  Have had no response whatsoever.   

They have never, in my experienced, cashed checks.  Even though, years ago, they requested payment.  No request over last several years.

Copy of my '52 Chrysler build record was received about a month ago.   THANKS DANIELLE.

IBM Card Saratoga.jpg

• Like 1

Chrysler Records are working through a large backlog of requests

after 3 months wait I was told by Danielle

the records for the 1928 Chrysler 72 are missing

disappointing but I found Danielle very helpful

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Just echoing some of the above....

I queried a build record for my 1929 Chrysler Series 65.

After over a year wait, this May 2022, Danielle at: danielle.szostak@stellantis.com

replied that:

"Unfortunately, we did not have a build record for your vehicle in our microfilm files.  There is no further information we can provide within the company."

She is a helpful person and a good communicator.

She even went to the trouble of sending me these images of a brochure as a consolation for the disappointing news--which I took to be a very nice gesture.

I' m guessing that perhaps the older the vehicle, the scarcer the build data(?).

brochure.jpg

brochure2.jpg

brochure3.jpg

brochure4.jpg

brochure5.jpg

brochure6.jpg

• Like 2

Yes, absolutely, anything, as I recall, pre '32 (I believe) is generally non-existant in their records.  Don't quote me on the year.  It is in print somewhere..... I know I've seen it.

Yes, Danielle does what she is able to do, to the best of available time and resources in the current corporation.

• Like 2