Help me date this owner's manual?

Pete Phillips

A friend from Italy gave me this owner's manual. It has no copyright date on it anywhere, and I have read the whole thing but can find no mention of a year for the cars. It covers the 40, 50, and 70 series Buicks (Special, Super and Roadmaster only); no Century and no Limited series. So, my guess is maybe 1946, since there was no Century or Limited then. There is an added page just inside the front cover that addresses "Synthetic Tyres and Tubes". This page mentions the availability of rubber "before the U.S. entered the war", and of course the war was over by 1946. Could it be a 1942 export manual? Is anyone familiar with this piece? It is all in English, but capacities are listed in liters and wheelbases are listed in meters as well as inches.

If anyone is interested, make an offer--I have no use for it.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TXIMGP1897.JPG

IMGP1896.JPG

IMGP1898.JPG

IMGP1899.JPG

Edited by Pete Phillips (see edit history)

This is a tricky one.........the reference I found says the picture below is a 1946 note the speedometer is higher than the other gages that are in front of the driver, your manual shows the gages in a row....like 40-41, but the wheelbases listed fit 46-48 cars....any chance the 40-41 instrument cluster carried over to 46 Specials.

Image result for 1946 buick

17 hours ago, Pete Phillips said:

IMGP1898.JPG

Based on the following, I would say that this Owner's Manual was written specifically for the 1946 Buick Models, prior to the production run and while synthetic tires and tubes were still available:

https://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/education/whatischemistry/landmarks/syntheticrubber.html

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, lancemb said:

I would bet this was wartime manual for use in U.K. with some Buicks in military use

I agree.

The capacities are given in U.S. gallons etc and Imperial gallons etc ( British )

Imperial gallons are larger than U.S. gallons - U.S. 5 gallon jerrycans used during WW2 are referred to in the UK and other areas using Imperial measure as 4 gallon jerrycans.

I see the heading for a separate page giving metric capacities but can't see the full detail if it goes through all the same capacities.

I also see someone has handwritten +32 = F which is the calculation to convert Celsius heat reading to farenhiet.  

Regardless it would appear to be a wartime production for use in the UK, 

• Like 1

Not to change the topic but metro fiction was introduced in Canada in 1970, and then like all government projects, took decades to implement. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrication_in_Canada

It just seemed to me that 1967 was a bit early...then again, the length of time it took meant I would have grown up with the conversion regardless. It seems I'm one of a small generation here that is "fluent" in both systems. I never really got Fahrenheit but am more comfortable with Imperial lengths.