53 special series 40 carburettor repair kit

Pilgrim65

Hi Guys 

have a leaky carburettor and need a kit , however the maker is aerotype and having rang old Buick parts , not a maker they stock.

anyone out there have any suggestions for another possible supplier ,please post or email me .

many thanks

pilgrim

On 04/10/2016 at 3:34 PM, Pilgrim65 said:

Thanks guys , your right although I'm a novice , they should have known a aerotype is a stromberg as they said they stock those.

cheers

pilgrim

If the "old Buick parts" person (post 1) had known anything about old Buick's they would have realised it was a Stromberg Aerotype carb ,

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I don't know how many carburetor changes there were for your year in terms of 2-bbl carbs, but you could check the part number for the Stromberg in the shop manual for your specific year and just *assume* its that number and go from there...

• 2 weeks later...

The number is STAMPED with metal marking stamps (a recessed number). It may be found by looking at a very clean top casting (airhorn) looking straight down at the top along one of the sides. If Buick, if will be in the format 7-nnn(l). nnn is a number between 1 an 200. l (if present) is a letter that signifies the engineering status of the carburetor.

AAUVB is a type or model. A little more informative than saying Stromberg carburetor, but certainly insufficient to get the correct carburetor rebuilding kit.

Jon.

• Like 2

Hi Jon

you probably think is this man an idiot ? 

Feeling one at present as still can't locate stamped numbers ,

just taken these photos , there are some numbers on side , but think are raised so probably not what I'm looking for .

perhaps you could give indication from one of the photos were it should be.

apologies from the idiot.

pilgrim

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Pilgrim,

As you look down from the top of the carburetor, the number will be stamped (very lightly) near the driver's side edge (facing up).  It will be located on the flat of the carburetor lid, right along the edge.

• Like 1

I'm also going to add that your carburetor looks pretty clean.  I have the same carb on my '53, and it always has seeped a little from various areas (especially, for some reason, the lid gasket, even though the float level is correct).  It'll also sometimes drip a bit from the throttle shaft after a hot soak, which is a problem caused by modern gasoline.  Where does yours leak from?  I've been into mine several times over the last 11 years, and it's not the driest carburetor in the world.

Edited by Aaron65 (see edit history)

On 10/9/2016 at 8:39 PM, 1939_Buick said:

If the "old Buick parts" person (post 1) had known anything about old Buick's they would have realised it was a Stromberg Aerotype carb ,

I wouldn't have known, but I would have asked if it was a Rochester or a Stromberg. And, for sure, I would have hd a tough time with a Chysler product.

But I did like the offer to call with your light and magnifying glass handy. How many post back was that?

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

It's not that difficult to determine what kit you need for your carburetor rebuild if you can not find the carburetor number and think that it needs another rebuild (note the REBUILT sticker, Post 5, picture #4). Here are the only links that you need to look at that will give you all the information you need to determine whether you need the K619 or K4109 rebuilding kit.

This first link's video will explain the differences between the two kits.....three-bolt or four-bolt mounting gaskets and the diameter of the accelerator pump leather cup size, 5/8" or 3/4":

http://www.carburetor-parts.com/Stromberg-AAV-Series-_ep_410.html

Check out this second link for the other marques and years that the K619 kit is applicable for:

http://www.carburetor-parts.com/Stromberg-AAV-2-AAV-25-AAV-26-AAV-267-AAVB-267-AAOV-1-Carburetor-Repair-Kit_p_1037.html

I would rebuild the carburetor myself rather than sending it out. I'll bet the house that you need the K619 kit.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

"Hi Jon

you probably think is this man an idiot ? 

Feeling one at present as still can't locate stamped numbers ,"

Not at all.

Everything is difficult until you see it the first time, and these numbers can be very difficult to see.

I am photographically challenged, so trying to paint a picture using words.

The numbers are on the top flat surface of the top casting. They are stamped with metal marking stamps, so recessed into the casting.

The carburetor is wider from side to side than from front to back. You want to look on the top of the two sides, probably the side opposite the choke housing, although I have seen the number stamped on the choke housing side.

Stromberg codified their numbers in the format ccc-nnna

ccc is a number from 1 to 268 that represents the code Stromberg used for the company. A few common codes 2=Ford, 3=Dodge, 4=Chrysler, 7=Buick, 10=Packard, 205=Cadillac.

nnn is a number from 1 to about 300 that represents the number of different carburetors sold to the company represented by ccc.

a, if present, and it isn't always, represents the engineering change status for the unit in questions.

So, some examples:

7-96 would be the first production AAVB-267 used on the 1954 Buick

7-96A would be the AAVB-267 used on the 1954 Buick WITH ONE MINOR ENGINEERING CHANGE

7-96B would be the AAVB-267 used on the 1954 Buick WITH TWO MINOR ENGINEERING CHANGES.

7-102 would be the AAVB-267 used on the 1955 Buick with no engineering changes.

In the for what its worth category, Buick used 8 different type AAVB-267 carburetors (not counting engineering changes), which use 7 different rebuilding kits.

If my word picture still doesn't work, give me a call: 673-392-7378 (9-4 Mon-Tues central time).

Jon.

Pilgrim:

Sign on to Ebay

Look up auction number 252570906298

Click on the 4th picture

Move the mouse over the picture to enlarge the picture

Observe the fillister airhorn screw closest to you and to your left. Just to the right of the screw, you can faintly make out the stamped 7. The rest of the number is hidden by the pump arm.

Sorry that my camera skills don't allow me to take a better picture of one of my carbs.

Jon.

7 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

Hi Guys ,

success ! followed Arrons guide, as follows , 7 - 95 space then an A, 

make sense?

thanks for your help 

in my defence was small and faint!

cheers

pilgrim

That's the correct number.  I assume this is a '51 or '52 with a 263.

• Like 1