1996 Coupe

Thriller

My daughter has started her automotive wish list and she would like a car the same age as her. In poking around at Buick offerings from 1996, the Roadmaster doesn't really appeal for this purpose, so I did some research on the coupes. That leads us to the Riviera, Regal (available as a Gran Sport) and Skylark (also available as Gran Sport). ive found these aren't that plentiful. There's a local Riviera, but the seller hasn't gotten back to me (and I may want to keep that one for myself). There's a customized Regal in Minnesota, and a decent looking Regal Gran Sport in Iowa (again may want to keep this for myself). 

I honestly don't know how ready we are to make a deal, but I thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone perhaps has one or knows of one that might be available. 

She he doesn't have the money, but that doesn't stop me from getting a relatively modern, fuel efficient Buick that could one day wind up as hers. 

In my opinion, for a daughters car you might want to alter the year.  I have heard that 1998 and 1999 last generation Rivieras are the most reliable ones. I would say stay away from the other three years only because of the changes that limit parts availability. The 1995's were often said to be the most troublesome.  I know it was costing me almost a grand a year in repairs to keep mine going.    

A 1996 Regal Gran Sport is a nice package but the 95 and 96 tend to rust early in the rockers.  While it seems they lose the outerrockers, and it is not structural, it is ugly.  Meanwhile the 93 and 94 are built with galvanized metal.  The 94 is the preferred vehicle.  It does have a drivers side airbag. It also has updated rear brake calipers, which are easier to change discs on than the 93. This I have direct knowledge of.  The car to find would have the factory trailer towing option.  Basically for the added external trans cooler since new.  No matter which, you have to figure on a fuel pump and eventually fuel lines and brake lines, none of which will be cheap. The other thing you have to figure on is new bearing plates above the shock/struts. And an exhaust donut gasket at the head exhaust pipe.  Maybe a replacement catalytic converter due to age deterioration of the pipes, as opposed to clogging, but none of that will be cheap either.  Still, great gas mileage, awesome 3800 engines, comfortable seats, and elegant lines.  If I was in the market again, it's what I'd concentrate on.

One other thing, factory paint jobs will be ugly.  This was the age where the top coat flakes off the factory primer. Especially white cars.  But that is also something that can be fixed and last a good long time.

ps: The hood will not stand up to drunks who stab it with a hunting knife.  

• Like 1

The logic of getting a car the same age as yourself may be a bit flawed. A 20 year old car can have some surprise expenses for a limited budget as well.

A good car that embodies the good points of what you have listed is the Buick Lucerne. They are a real nice car and a 2007 or 2008, gently used would probably be a better fit. A lucerne is a Cadillac DeVille with a 6 cylinder, nice car. Or a good Chevy Impala of the same vintage.

Bernie

Oh, one of my cars is the same age as me. That doesn't make it anything special, just old.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I think the whole point is to get a car of her birth year,

so all the other good suggestions don't meet her criterion.

For everyday driving, a newer used car might be best;

but a Regal coupe is a good looking car that Dad can buy inexpensively

for now, she can share the fun and learn about it, and with all the memories

she'll be making with her family, she might keep it for the next 75 years!

• Like 2

I say get her a N/A Riv.

Yeah, it may be a bit of a pain, but any 20 year old car is going to have issues.  It will teach her character and patience, and when it comes time to unload it, you'll get more of what you put into it.  

Then, once she gets a job and starts making money, she can get herself a '96 Corvette.

1 minute ago, First Born said:

I will probably kick myself for asking, but what is N/A ?

Ben

Naturally Aspirated - not supercharged.

53 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

Buy her that lil 62 Skylark convertible out in AZ

I wasn't planning to go to Kingman, but I will be in Arizona this weekend.  I don't have enough room on the trailer, but I'm sure my wife will drive the 'Lark while I drive the rig.  I can meet you in Kansas City with it on September 1st.

Don't you hate it when people are so helpful?

Guest Carla BuickCity

I bought my 1996 Buick Regal Custom Coupe the beginning of September, 1995 the last six months the coupes were made.  I kept it up and had it repainted once.  Unfortunately, 3 weeks ago an 18-year-old pulled out of a side road from a stop sign ("didn't see me") and I t-boned her.  The good news is that the 21-year old air bags still worked.  It was a fabulous car, was still getting 25 mpg around town despite over 278k miles.  I'd had the exhaust replaced 5 years ago; it rusted, no sign of oil.  IF you can find a good one, hold onto it with both hands.  I've been looking.  The one in VA was a "mechanics special" and was pulled off the Internet after I called.  The one in KY needs a paint job, air conditioning work, and seems to be bare bones, no history of upkeep.  Good luck.  I really enjoyed mine.

15 minutes ago, Carla BuickCity said:

IF you can find a good one, hold onto it with both hands.

In 1996 there were 6,783 Skylark coupes, and 5,991 Regal coupes built (compared to 35,089 and 107,056 sedans, respectively).  17,389 Rivieras built the same year.  I have little doubt a higher percentage of the Rivs have survived.

Hold on with both hands, indeed...

Guest Carla BuickCity

My husband and I have a 94 Corvette.  A good 96 Vette should be available at a reasonable price, just check it out thoroughly.  The only problem is the insurance; she might need to be 40 until the cost of that comes down enough.

Thanks for the suggestions all. Yes I understand the later Rivs are better, but John_S got it. She was born in '96 so wants a '96. Corvettes can't be shown at BCA meets....

Carla, it's good to hear from a recent owner...it's a shame about the collision. To see, one must first look and be attentive. 

• Like 2