1950 Crosley Farm O Road Restoration and more

Today I spent a lot of my time cleaning, wire brushing, and painting all the little things that I had taken off the firewall and engine to make it look pretty.  The car is now where it was about a week ago, except everything is all prettied up and I am now ready to put the motor in tomorrow.  

I also worked on a power engine lift that a buddy had made years ago and when he retired he gave it to me. It is not pretty but he said it works great.  We will see tomorrow.

No pictures today.

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 1:46 PM, dalef62 said:

Today I was able to get the yellow on in the engine compartment.  Looks pretty good, not perfect but I wasn't even planning on painting it.

But its AUTHENTIC if its not 'perfect' like the exterior panels.  It if was, it would be over-restored.

Remember, factory paint jobs under the hood and inside the trunk usually had runs, orange peel, overspray, etc.,

Craig

• Haha 1

The engine is back in the car and just about ready to go.  I have to pull the radiator back out as a stud broke as I was tightening it(it was partially cracked already).  

It does look pretty good now.  I will paint the valve cover and the "CROSLEY" letters tomorrow.

IMG_20200123_115057.jpg

IMG_20200123_170643.jpg

• Like 2

I got the radiator back in and the valve cover painted and back on today.  Almost done with the simple engine swap.  It still needs the hoses, oil gauge line, fuel pump and line, and hood installed then it will be ready to go.

IMG_20200125_120013.jpg

IMG_20200125_120024.jpg

• Like 1

Spent some time this weekend working on the windshield for the FOR.  I had a template made of wax paper but I wanted to verify that it would fit the windshield frame, good thing I did as it was too small.  I put the frame together and made some measurements and cut a new template out of 1/4" plywood to take to the glass shop.  It is now at the glass shop and I hope by the end of the week to have a windshield.  Then I will need to finish sanding on the framework and paint it so I can install the glass in the frame and install it on the FOR!

While the paint drys on the windshield frame, I started work on the gas tank.   It is in pretty bad shape, several holes and rust.  We will see...

After I was done painting the windshield frame yesterday the glass man called and told me the windshield is ready.

IMG_20200201_120216.jpg

• Like 1

I picked up the windshield glass today and brought all the pieces home to put it together.  Two rounds of friction tape around the glass and a little silicone in the frames and everything went together as planned. 

The lower piece of aluminum did not fit, so I will have to either sand it down some or cut some off. 

Now to see if it fits on the car!!!!  

IMG_20200203_184842.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dalef62 said:

I got the hole filled in and it is now getting a vinager bath.  We will see what happens.

IMG_20200203_150119.jpg

This looks familiar! Lots of fun. Did you apply low pressure air to the inside then spray your weld with soapy solution? I was surprised how many properly welded areas had tiny leaks on my tank. Had to keep going over the weld line and touching up each leak. PITA.

36 minutes ago, chistech said:

This looks familiar! Lots of fun. Did you apply low pressure air to the inside then spray your weld with soapy solution? I was surprised how many properly welded areas had tiny leaks on my tank. Had to keep going over the weld line and touching up each leak. PITA.

For right now I just welded it without low air pressure.  I will probably be putting a sealer in the tank before I install it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dalef62 said:

For right now I just welded it without low air pressure.  I will probably be putting a sealer in the tank before I install it.

I didn’t want to put any sealer as the methanol these days doesn’t like it it seems. The tank I picked up was so clean inside I didn’t want to use any sealer so I worked at the weld so there was no leaks at all, no Matter how tiny they might be. 

The next project on the FOR is the bed.  I had it sand blasted and primered when I had the frame done.  Today I dug it out and began prepping it.  I welded about 40 holes closed and straighten out alot of the dents and dings.  I removed several add on angles and other oddities.  Maybe by the end of the month it will be finished???

IMG_20200206_154644.jpg

IMG_20200206_154657.jpg

IMG_20200206_154706.jpg

Edited by dalef62 (see edit history)

Thank you John.

Work continues on the bed of the FOR.  I got some filler on it today and sanded down.  The bed isn't in too bad of shape.  Hope to get the other side done on Monday and give the bottom side a coat of primer.

IMG_20200208_114034.jpg

IMG_20200208_114040.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dalef62 said:

It measures a whole 2' long!

Has your dump bed been shorten? I thought they were a bit more than 2 foot.

Anyway keiser31, that is the long bed FarmOroad. 

FOR-Dump.jpeg

FOR-Pickup.jpeg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jim Bollman said:

Has your dump bed been shorten? I thought they were a bit more than 2 foot.

Anyway keiser31, that is the long bed FarmOroad. 

FOR-Dump.jpeg

FOR-Pickup.jpeg

Jim, it might have been.  But Duane Gorrell has one just like mine that he got from the President!  Does that make it right?

Edited by dalef62 (see edit history)

I think Duane said the one he got from Dave was shorten. If you care, you might want to check with them before you spend a lot of time restoring yours. I like the shorter box myself.

I have never seen anything about a shorter dump box being available.

• Like 1