dalef62

1950 Crosley Farm O Road Restoration and more

Jim,

I just ordered them from Autozone.  One of our friendly parts suppliers gave me the part number as he was out of them at Waeseon last year...

Our annual Memorial day cruise is coming up and I am making the 75+ custom wooden dash plaques.  Saturday my dad and I cut the 1"x4" x8' oak to size and tonight I routered the edges.  Next step is belt sanding them, maybe tomorrow?  I have been making these plaques for probably 15 years now so it is old hat now!

IMG_20190506_182952.jpg

Dang size limits...

IMG_20190506_182956.jpg

• Like 1

I installed 3 of the 4 brake hoses yesterday.  The other front hose I have to order, as I ordered 4 hoses of the same length and the fronts are shorter.  I had one spare for my other cars that I used on one front.  

Now today the paint is supposed to be here!  I hope it is the right color... 

Stay tuned...

IMG_20190507_140055.jpg

I got the paint today!  And it is the right color...  Let me know what you think.😎

black and white paint.jpg

It looks PERFECT in that black and white photo....

• Haha 1

Ok, I do have pictures of the paint in color!  Turned out great for the underside of the FOR.  I will let it sit till next week to cure and then flip it over and give the top side one last sanding and then paint will be applied.

I also got the last brake hose on and it is almost ready to put fluid in it.  Speaking of fluid Dave and Jim, and any other FOR guys, what weight gear oil should I use in the rear end, transmission and transfer case?

Dale

2007-01-01 12.00.05.jpg

2007-01-01 12.00.25.jpg

2007-01-01 12.00.16-1.jpg

2007-01-01 12.00.38.jpg

• Like 5

I use 90W in the rear and 240W in the transmission, i don't remember what I out in the transfer case but I would guess 90w. The 240W helps in shifting if you don't drive in real cold weather.

The paint looks good.

Had my FOR out for it's first drive of the year today. The F1 has been out for a couple of month but just didn't get around to pulling out the Crosley.

Nice color Dale! You're on the home stretch now. :)

Some of the pictures show the color a little greener than it really is.  It is very close to the original color.

Paul,  lots of work to do yet...  But it is a lot cleaner work now.  Thanks.

Jim, I took the hotshot around the block last weekend and have had the Vette out to a show, but outside of that things are at a stand still.  Trying to get this FOR painted is taking up all my time.   So much to do and so little time.  lol

Hopefully by next weekend it will be either sitting back on the frame or very close to it.

Dale

Today I flipped the Farm O Road upright in final preparation for paint.  I just finished sanding the topside with 360 grit paper so now it is ready.  Still have to sand the hood, battery cover, and steering column support yet.  Then mask off the bottom side and it will be ready.  I can't wait!!!

IMG_20190513_130811.jpg

IMG_20190513_130748.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like the dashboard was modeled after the sandblasting unit....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just a little teaser...  I got it painted today.  Looks pretty good if you ask me.  Pictures to follow...

2 hours ago, dalef62 said:

Just a little teaser...  I got it painted today.  Looks pretty good if you ask me.  Pictures to follow...

Looking forward to the pics Dale!!

Posted (edited)

As promised...  The pictures of the FOR in it's new outfit.  

2007-01-01 12.00.04.jpg

2007-01-01 12.00.37.jpg

2007-01-01 12.00.53.jpg

2007-01-01 12.00.12.jpg

2007-01-01 12.00.25-1.jpg

2007-01-01 12.00.44.jpg

2007-01-01 12.00.53.jpg

Edited by dalef62 (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Sweet! What has to be done still before the body goes back onto the frame Dale?

Posted (edited)

I would like to get most of the chassis together before the body is on as it is much easier to work on.  Lots of little things, exhaust hangers, bleed brakes, drive shaft, fill trans, transfer case and differential with grease, install generator, install hoses, etc.  I may even put the radiator and such on before the body is dropped back on, just not sure yet.  

Just ordered new u-joints for the driveshaft and they should be here today, then I can strip the old u-joints and paint the shaft and install them.  

Today I somewhat shifted gears, started working on the wooden plaques for our clubs Memorial Day Car Cruise.  Trying something a little different this year, I have stained some of the plaques to see if they like them stained or natural.  They all will get polyurethane cleared.

Thanks for the comments and questions.

Dale  

IMG_20190517_101217.jpg

Edited by dalef62 (see edit history)

I had a busy weekend, our local theater that I volunteer for had a Age of Aquarius band concert on Saturday night.  Then Sunday the wife and I and some friends went to a car show that everything was free, registration, food, and fun.  And the food choices covered about 10 - 8 foot tables.  And they also had free hot dogs, hamburger, pulled pork sandwiches and pop and water outside!  Amazing!!!!

Never thought I would win a prize but I got "Spectator's Choice"  

Also saw another Hupmobile.

IMG_20190519_103953.jpg

IMG_20190519_150923_1.jpg

IMG_20190519_140125.jpg

• Like 2

When we got home from the car show I went to the shop and sprayed a coat of polyurethane on the plaques.  Back sides are now done! 

Also put the FOR body outside to keep it out of the spray mist.

IMG_20190519_153112.jpg

IMG_20190519_155308.jpg

• Like 1

Now that the paint is dry on the FOR, the process has started to get it back together.  Today I worked long and hard on the dash panel, cleaning and polishing. It was hard work but I did get it done.  I cleaned and installed the turn signal indicator.  Looks pretty good, doesn't it?  

Ok, it wasn't really that hard, but it was covered in red paint, so I had to carefully scrape the paint off it and then use buffing compound on it to shine it up.  And it WAS the first part back on the body!  A "turn" for the better!

Still getting ready for our car clubs Cruise in at our local Dairy Queen on Memorial Day to benefit ALS.  If you are near the Apollo PA Dairy Queen on Memorial Day stop in 1-5pm.  Today I sprayed the final two coats of polyurethane on the front side and now I wait for them to dry. 

IMG_20190520_155951.jpg

IMG_20190520_160001.jpg

• Like 4

This morning I worked on testing the generator and installing it, and painting the driveshaft.  I still need to install the joint between the generator and the water pump and the hoses.

IMG_20190521_104746.jpg

IMG_20190521_104803.jpg