1950 Crosley Farm O Road Restoration and more

Working on pigtails...  Made up the other headlight pigtail and made one parking/taillight pigtail, three to go.

Also working on the gauge cluster, trying to find a decent one.  Sold a bunch a few years ago, now I need one.

IMG_20190817_192800.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like you need a better chrome ring for your gauge set. Service Motors restores these, not sure if they offer restored rings for the DIY restorer.

18 hours ago, dalef62 said:

Jim, more money than I wanted to spend for the restored gauges. They were very nice though, and tempting...  I will use these till I find better.

I wasn't suggesting you buy their restored gauges, I thought maybe they sold the parts to restore your own and you could buy a nice ring for your gauges, the rest looks very nice.

• 2 weeks later...

On Sunday my wife and I went to the annual car show put on by the Western PA region AACA.  I was planning on trailering the Hupmobile but the weather was not promising so we drove the 1977 Corvette.  Turnout was down for show cars but we had a great time.  It never did rain at the show...  🙄🤨🙃

IMG_20190901_120342.jpg

IMG_20190901_120358.jpg

IMG_20190901_134157.jpg

IMG_20190901_134208.jpg

IMG_20190901_134403.jpg

IMG_20190901_134410.jpg

IMG_20190901_134908.jpg

IMG_20190901_134854.jpg

20190901_104703.jpg

Edited by dalef62 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Thank you John, way too many cars, but how can I sell my family...

This morning I was able to sand the bumper cover for the Vette and after lunch I found the paint from when I painted the car in 1994.  There was about 1 quart left in the can and it was still good.  It was a base/clear DuPont paint and I even had some of the basemaker!!  Painted it and then cleared it and now I can put the tail lights in and plate on and drive it.

IMG_20190909_170838.jpg

IMG_20190909_170844.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Paul, 

Sometimes I think I have too many cars and need to get rid of a few.  Then I think, which one(s) could I sell?  They are all like family and have a special place in our home!  

I have been working on the FOR a little bit each day, nothing photo worthy, but getting things done.  I got the wires routed to the rear today and now I need to find or make a few wire straps to hold the wires in place.  Also started to put the carburetor on but need some lock washers.  I had to adjust the throttle linkage some so it would work the carburetor right.  Also cut and fit the last of the battery cable wires and now it is mounted and ready to go.  Also got the upper radiator hose and installed it.

I was also digging through my collection of Crosley parts looking for a few things, I did pretty good.  I found NOS parts that are needed for the FOR, the water pump coupler special washers and a turn buckle for the clutch linkage.  

So close to firing it up!

• Like 1

I have made more progress on the FOR today.  Last night I was at my brother in law's and was checking out his FOR and noticed a few things that were wrong on mine.  One was the headlight switch was in the wrong hole in the dash, it was where the choke should be.  And the wiring harness only had one group of wires branch out for the gauges and headlights, not two as I had done.  Of course I could be right on two bunches of wires on my FOR as nothing is the same on any two Crosley's.   Both very easy fixes.

I was able to almost finish off the turn signal switch connections, only needing short pieces of rubber hose to cover the connections.  I also made a trial fitting of the tail light and license plate bracket.

IMG_20190914_104430_1.jpg

IMG_20190914_104450.jpg

IMG_20190914_104457.jpg

• Like 3

I got one more part on that is required to start the FOR yesterday.  A completely rebuilt carburetor from a dear friend of mine who passed away a few months after I got it.  He always said, bolt it on, connect it up and don't touch it!

IMG_20190917_160723.jpg

• Like 5

Cool FOR Keiser.

Been slowly working on the FOR, little things that need done.  Also working to get ready for that big car show in eastern PA.  I think it is called Hershey???  

Also spent some time on the 1973 MG Midget.  Years ago when my dad painted the car he left off the MIDGET letters and stainless strip on the rockers.  I decided to put them back on and have been working on that.  Run into a small problem with the paint peeled off when I removed the tape to align the lettering.  I have some of the original DuPont Dulux paint if it is still good...

Anyone need any Crosley parts?  Let me know what you need and if I have it I will bring it.

IMG_20190924_161124.jpg

IMG_20190924_161141.jpg

IMG_20190924_161200.jpg

IMG_20190923_162650.jpg

IMG_20190923_162638.jpg

Today I finished putting the trim and scripts on the MG Midget, so it is now officially a MIDGET again.  I still need to touch up the peeled paint on the driver's side front rocker.

And I noticed something that I hadn't seen before.  Something else is missing on the car, can anyone else see what is missing?

IMG_20190925_155732.jpg

IMG_20190925_161057.jpg

Not much to see today.  Yesterday I stopped at the metal shop and picked up several pieces of needed metal. Now I can finish several projects on the FOR and make a few sets of the shifter handles for the PTO and Hi/Lo shifter to sell.  

There is also metal there to make the front bumper brackets, the spare tire bracket, the emergency brake rods and brackets and the clutch rod.  Will keep me busy for a while.

IMG_20191002_153645.jpg

IMG_20191002_153653.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think we all had some good hauls at Hershey this year.  Perfect weather, good turnout.

• Like 1

I made some more progress today on the FOR. Made the spare tire bracket and installed the headlights.  I think I will use the original spare tire bracket on the FOR and the made one on the Supersports.  Don't tell my wife.

IMG_20191019_100849.jpg

IMG_20191019_100918.jpg

IMG_20191019_103755.jpg

• Like 4

I spent some time this weekend to convert the gauges from International to Crosley.  I ordered the decal set and repainted the gauge faces and needles, then applied the decals.  I will apply the "Crosley" decal to the center of the trim and then seal everything back up and install it soon.

This has been the holdout for getting the FOR running, so hopefully it will be running soon.

IMG_20191027_163820.jpg

IMG_20191027_163849.jpg

• Like 4

The instruments always make me a little nervous working on. Easy to catch something on a fragile needle, scratch a number or letter, PITA closing them up and getting the plastic for dash lighting in correctly, etc.  The early stuff I work on often has fractured white metal framing where just a little too much pressure can give you confetti!

• Like 1

Today I am working on finishing up a lot of loose ends.  The gauge cluster is now almost completely hooked up, the fuel pump is now plumbed to the carb, the choke cable is hooked up, oil put in engine, green tape is disappearing...  Hope to put the lower radiator hoses on after lunch and fill with water.

Maybe by the end of the week I can drive it for the first time!

IMG_20191029_113543.jpg

IMG_20191029_113550.jpg

• Like 3

Last night and this mornings project was making and installing the front bumper brackets.  Someone in the past had cut the old brackets off and mounted the front bumper on the back of the bed.  I am glad that they kept the bumper with the FOR.  It was a simple job bending and drilling the four holes and welding it onto the bumper.

Now I can finish the bodywork on it and get it painted.

IMG_20191030_090000.jpg