1950 Crosley Farm O Road Restoration and more

Put the hood on it today just to see what it looks like.

I connected the oil pressure gauge today.  I also worked on the front bumper some.   Tonight I made the wire for the coil to the distributor and the wires for the generator to voltage regulator.  Once those are installed there isn't much left till I can fire it up.

IMG_20191030_151942.jpg

IMG_20191030_151954.jpg

IMG_20191031_150136.jpg

IMG_20191101_170250.jpg

IMG_20191030_152012.jpg

Edited by dalef62 (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Today I put a battery in the FOR and tried cranking it over... nothing.  Got the meter out and started checking things out.  I had six volts to the key, but not to the starter button.  Whoops, a unconnected wire from the key to the button.  I connected that up and still nothing.  more checking with the volt meter revealed I had power now down to the starter solenoid but not tripping the solenoid.  I took it off and found that it needed a ground to make it work.  I fixed the ground problem and now I have it cranking.  checked the Amp. gauge and while cranking I was charging, lol.  I switched the wires around and now everything looks good to go.  Next step is the fuel, for now it will be a small can of gas till I get the original tank fixed.  I am excited to get it running now!!!!  I want to drive it now since I didn't get to drive it when I got it.

Thank you all for all the votes of confidence as I bring the FOR back to life.

• Like 4

The FOR has LIFE!   Today I hooked up the last wire for the generator and the auxiliary fuel tank and connected the battery and after some adjustments on the distributor timing it came to life!!!   Oil pressure looks good, need to put a belt on the pulleys and add water to see if the generator is charging and if the engine stays cool.  Sounded good for the minute I had it running though!😁😃

• Like 5

Congrats, another classic gets back on the road.  Great work!

Work is continuing on the FOR.  Yesterday I filled the radiator with water and to my dismay I had a leak at the temp sensor bulb at the back of the block.The only way to really get at it was to remove the dash, which wasn't that hard, several screws and I disconnected the oil pressure gauge and throttle linkage.  When the dash was out of the way I saw the problem right away and it is what I had suspected, I had cross threaded the fitting into the block.  Being able to get right to it, I was able to remove it and clean up the threads and reinstall it correctly and now it has no leaks!

As it now has "go", I thought now would be a good time to get "stop".  The brakes have all been rebuilt or replaced but I never put any brake fluid in the system.  I filled the master cylinder and started pumping the pedal and noticed brake fluid on the floor,  Whoops forgot to tighten one fitting, easy fix.  pumped a few more times and more fluid on the floor in a different spot.  Same thing, tightened up a fitting and all good.  Bled the brakes myself one hand working the master cylinder and one on the bleeder, easy to do on a FOR!  LOL  I now have brakes! 

I also got the driver seat out and cleaned it up some, I am hoping to take the FOR for a brief ride around the parking lot very soon!  I am still not sure those are the correct seats for the FOR yet either.  The frames look right, but the plywood back is definitely wrong.  I installed a few hubcaps and now it looks almost like a car.

I also cleaned the table that I have been storing all the parts and pieces for the FOR on.  Not many parts left!!!

I also spent some time today working on the plow Jeep.  I haven't moved it since the last time it snow in the spring so I took a battery out and tried to start it.  As usual, it didn't start, not getting fuel.  after several attempts at putting fuel in the carburetor, it still wouldn't stay running.  I put more gas in the tank and after several attempts it is now running again.  The fuel pump has the glass filter globe on it and I think the gasket is bad and it sucks air in instead of gas!  I will be going over it in the next couple of days to get it ready for winter.  I hope I don't need it!  

IMG_20191106_141648.jpg

IMG_20191106_141705.jpg

IMG_20191106_141634.jpg

IMG_20191104_162012.jpg

• Like 4

At 4:30 EST on 11/6/19 the FOR moved for the first time in many years under it own power!!!  Was a short loop around the parking lot but it goes in both forward and reverse in hi and lo range!  It still needs a little tuning, but it runs and moves!

• Like 4

Can't tell from the pictures if your seats are the right frames but the plywood is definitely wrong, and the seat is also wrong. The frame is the CD seat back including the same style springs and the seat is angle iron and a drop in seat bottom that has a plywood base with coil seat springs on top of the plywood, double or triple the thickness of your seat bottom. The passenger seat will have a grab bar on the outboard side.

Great progress.

Now that the FOR is running and moving I started working on the windshield frame.  Cleaning filling and cutting one new piece.  It is ready to have a few holes drilled and then primered.

Bumper is about ready for another coat of primer.

A few more pictures of the seat for Jim.  Looks like the ends of the grab bar on the seat bottom frame.

IMG_20191108_143814.jpg

IMG_20191108_144255.jpg

IMG_20191108_144329.jpg

IMG_20191108_144401.jpg

• Like 2

Putting in some overtime on the windshield frame tonight.  I brought all the pieces home so I could use my drill press.  I got all the holes drilled and ready except the ones for the pivot point on the cast iron parts, as I need to find the right size bit for the tap.  For those two hole I drilled pilot holes.

I have a template for the glass so someday I will take it to my local glass man and get a windshield cut.

IMG_20191108_184749.jpg

IMG_20191108_184805.jpg

• Like 3

While I wait on the windshield for the FOR, I can get some work done on the Hupmobile.  At Hershey 2018 I bought some stainless wire cover for the parking lights and headlights and now I have a chance to get them in.  One done, three to go.  Looks much better than the rubber hose that was there before.

I also carried out the correct engine for the 1950 Crosley Convertible that was in the car when I got it, but the compression was super low on all cylinders.  When I pulled it and put it on the shelf I loaded the cylinders with oil and kerosene.  Well it must have helped as now the compression is up and it actually runs and sounds good.  Now to clean it up and paint it.

Pictures show it after a few applications of stripper and cleaning.

IMG_20191119_161604.jpg

IMG_20191119_161612.jpg

IMG_20191119_161536.jpg

IMG_20191119_161550.jpg

• Like 2

Funny thing on the hood latch in the before picture.  A friend of mine picked the car up in South Carolina and put it in the back of his pickup truck to bring it to PA. He had nice weather from SC to PA, but it was late on a Wednesday evening when he got here and it was to rain over night and he was going to deliver it to me in the morning.  He had the "hood" in the back seat of his truck as he didn't want to loose it while traveling.  I asked him why he didn't just put a strap on it to hold it on and he said he didn't want to damage the paint!  I got the hood out and ratchet strapped it down.

• Haha 2

I got some paint on the engine for the convertible today.  It will not be a show car so detail is not as important on this engine.

Once I get it painted I will make a stand for it till I am ready to install it in the car.

IMG_20191123_105101.jpg

• Like 2

More Crosley engine work yesterday and today.  Since I got the convertible engine running and ready I decided to get another engine from my stash of engines.  It had some stuck rings.  Tore it apart and freed up the rings and put it back together.  It now runs and has good compression.

With that engine running I drug out another engine, a tin block Cobra.  With a little work it was running and sounds good.  Compression is good also.

So now I have engines ready for the 1950 convertible, the 1951 sedan delivery, and the 1946 sedan, cow car, ( Cobra).  

Today I drug another engine out and it was locked up, pulled the pan and it is rusted up too bad, junk!  So drug another engine out and it has low compression in cylinders 2 and 3.  It will need tore down to see what is wrong with the exhaust valves in those two cylinders.

Lots of engine work.  I could probably build up 6-7 more engines with spare parts laying around.

IMG_20191126_165301.jpg

IMG_20191126_165316.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, I just grab an engine and carry it if I am feeling strong that day, other days I drag it.  The complete engine with accessories weighs 156 pounds according to the manual.  My back says I shouldn't be lifting that much weight 😅😫😬.

My shop looks like a Crosley engine factory.  I now have 6 + engines that I either have running and ready to paint, or tore down for repairs, or totally junk.  

In getting some of my spare engines running I have found one crankcase with strapped mains, which is highly desirable.  I also have found 2 cast steel crankshafts, more desirable parts.  

I hope within the next few days to have the strapped main engine up and running.  I still have a few engines in the back room that might run without much work.

IMG_20191130_090520.jpg

IMG_20191130_090657.jpg

• Like 2