1955 Buick Century, Model 68 Clone

billbuickgs

Up date on my 55 century 2 dr sedan clone.

I have 2 of the 15 x6 wheels mounted on the wider tires , a used front seat

out of a 53 2 dr sedan in very good shape , emblems and portholes mounted

and nos dog dish caps. Had a dent in the left front fender . Need to buy a water pump

and install the new hoses ( all the trans cooling lines, heater  and defrost ).

I have the 3 duce manifold and carbs, air cleaners etc, but not installed. I'm not liking the red wheels

but leaving the patina look with a satin clear , it may grow on me.

I hope the cars I park next to at  Allentown understand that their Buick can't

catch anything from my Buick !!!!

My granddaughter said  "that looks like TOWMATHER mother "

So this is 'BERTHA BUICK" , TOWMATERS MOM !

PS  Still looking for 2 15 x6 wheels 1948 to 55

Bill

IMG_1710.JPG

IMG_1711.JPG

IMG_1708.JPG

IMG_1707.JPG

IMG_1709.JPG

• Like 6

Bill,

Car looks great... You are making good progress. Are you going to the tech session this Sunday at Berger's? I hope to find out who from BOOM intends to convoy to Allentown. You interested in convoying up there?

Mark

2 hours ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Awesome car.  What is the steering wheel from?

That is the standard wheel on a 55 Special , optional had the horn ring .

This car has p steering , dynaflow but no radio ,no back up lights , std steering

wheel , clear glass all around and dog dish hub caps.

A New Mexico car with no rust holes and original  chrome !!!!!

Bill

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Red Dawn said:

Bill,

Car looks great... You are making good progress. Are you going to the tech session this Sunday at Berger's? I hope to find out who from BOOM intends to convoy to Allentown. You interested in convoying up there?

Mark

Mark

I hope to be at the tech session Sunday, Will talk then

Bill

40 minutes ago, billbuickgs said:

That is the standard wheel on a 55 Special , optional had the horn ring .

This car has p steering , dynaflow but no radio ,no back up lights , std steering

wheel , clear glass all around and dog dish hub caps.

A New Mexico car with no rust holes and original  chrome !!!!!

Bill

So interesting! Still learning. I've had six 55 specials, no PS  but always had a radio and trim horn ring! 

2 hours ago, supersix said:

Why was "a used front seat out of a 53 2 dr sedan...." added? Was the seat missing, or something better about a '53 seat, or was it all that was available? Unfamiliar with Buicks and just curious.

Larry,

The car sat in the New Mexico sun all its life and the seats exploded  .

I have the original seats, basically. The springs are like new but everything else is toast.

I bought the front and rear seats in very nice shape , front bolted in and the rear needs

a little work to fit.

I will never restore this Buick to be original, It would be $30000 + to do this car

and the finished value would be mid 20's at best.

I'm going to enjoy it for what it is , a very solid old car to have fun with !

Bill

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

How did you mount the coil? That was my issue when I did a 2x4 manifold. Do the slave 2GCs have idle circuits?

When I was looking into 'hot rodding', and looking over various 2x4 and 3x2 setups, I noticed no one ever used the stock 2bbl carb as a master with bigger slave carbs. Would retain the stock starting circuit. If I recall correctly, the two barrel carbs were already pretty stout with larger bores than a four barrel. Nice setup none-the-less!

Beemon,

The coil is mounted to the intake on the  last runner (similar to the way it was mounted on the Riviera

with 2 x 4's

All idle circuits intact.

The original carb has the fuel inlet at the rear and it hits the rear carb.

John ,

The fan is the original fan that was on the car.

The only thing I changed was the intake and the carbs. Oh , I do have a problem with a stumble

off  an idle which I think is cause by the 1" spacer under the carbs and also the 1" spacer between

the intake and the head , all for show and no go at this point. You can't add 3x2's to a stock 264

and expect to be plastered to the seat on takeoff !!

• Like 2

I've read that intake spacers on a Nailhead don't work because of the way they're ported. The intake meets the head at a 45* in the casting, so when you throw a spacer in there, it gives it a sharp 45* turn vertically down then another sharp 45* turn into the head, rather than a smooth continuous flow. I have heard carb spacers work because it increases flow velocity, given that air comes straight down through the carb and then diffuses in the intake ports. A shame about the original carb, the two 4GCs I put on mine were really close.

Stumble off idle might be the three carbs at idle. I know they make kits to eliminate the idle circuits for the 2GCs. Your idle transition might be too rich with all three carbs dumping. Are you going to be running progressive or straight?

• Like 1

Beemon ,

Haven't figured out the progressive linkage yet. I'm thinking

of making a horizontal "U" shape linkage because of the original

mount on the firewall is low compared to the carb hookup.

I think it will be easier to pull the center carb linkage from the front

and somehow with the "U"  pivot at the front go to the firewall mount ?????

Fun !

Bill

• Like 3

Wow! That is way cool!B)

So glad to see it together being used as compared to collecting dust on my shelf.

The story on my getting it was through talk with a bunch of guys talking about street rods one day and someone mentions he knows someone who does motors out of his garage and I should see him about possibly doing one of my cars engines.

Once we met the first thing he says to me is, Do you want another Buick engine? 

Seems this motor (with this intake) was in a car from California which a local here had purchased and decided to drive it home from there some 2300 miles. Sadly it did not make it all the way under it's own power as it developed some power loss at some point.

The motor ended up with this motor fellow and after taking it apart found one of the cylinders had been running lean and had scored the wall plus burned a valve. 

This might give evidence about the flow comment earlier. Good thing you did some work there? 

He pretty much gave the motor to me all apart but... asked for something for the intake.

I had visions of doing something like you on my Special, mostly for conversation sake, not performance, but reality (common sense :rolleyes:) sometimes emerges!

In all my years of parts buying I have had some good deals come my way and way back, this was a hobby not a business so figure, pass it on. 

So glad it went where it is appreciated! :D

(And good to see the results as planned)

• Like 2