How to trailer 1928 sedan with flat tires

jvelde

Someone sent me an e-mail asking how they should trailer a 1928 sedan with wood spoke wheels and flat tires about 300 miles. The car has been stored in a garage for about 30 years and is not running. Apparently they would be using a U-Haul car trailer but want to avoid doing damage to the car or wheels. Any suggestions appreciated so I can respond to him in the next day or so.

Thanks,

John V.

John,

What exactly are you looking for? 

I would just get it on the trailer (wench) CAREFULLY not to hit anything or scrap the sides of the trailer.  I would then be sure to tie it down securely so it does not move to the sides and get damaged.  Look carefully that there are no loose pieces that can fall off while driving.  Stop and check the tie downs after a few miles and every stop to be sure they are tight.  Check the tire pressures on the trailer.

Have a large enough vehicle to tow the car and trailer and drive carefully, not at 70MPH.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks for the quick reply Larry - I think he is concerned about doing damage to the wheels since the tires are flat.  I will reply with the warnings you suggest along with checking to see if the rims and spokes appear to be solid enough to withstand the trip.

Thanks again,

John

Do not put any straps on the spokes.  They were not made for that.  U haul trailers are usually 2 wheel rails with an open center.  The straps should be over the cars rear axle and tied off to the trailer frame.  For the front, go over the front eye beam, and then attach to the trailer.  Only one end needs ratchets.  I like to use just chains on the rear, set up so that nothing can move forward.  I then use straps on the front to keep a little tension on everything so that the vehicle can not move forward or back.  You do not need to crank down on the straps.  Just enough tension to keep everything in place.

Safe travels.  It sounds like a fun day. 

Hugh

If he is worried about the rims being damaged put some cheap pine  timber  6" x 3/4" on the ramps  where the wheels are running.  I have often done this when I,m dragging  a car or chassis onto a trailer that doesn,t have tires.

Look carefully at the top material where it attaches to the front header above the windshield. If it is loose or deteriorated, an opening can catch the wind on an open trailer and violently strip the car of the top and headliner. It will look like a bomb went off the in the car. I have seen two original cars with old tops effectively destroyed this way. Don't let it happen to another one.

Roger BCA #99

John , lots of good advice here. A lot of it supports the reasons for towing slowly. I have had to suffer the indignity of calling AAA to haul my 1928 Cadillac sedan. I paid the driver a $100 tip to keep the speed under 45. Here is some advice for hauling old cars with rear mounted spares , particularly on rather small (eg. U-haul) trailers. Take your spares off , especially if you have duals. Position the car for tongue weight without the spares. Then preferably carry the spares in the tow vehicle. Or of not feasible , lash them securely over the trailer axles before putting the car on , if you will still have sufficient clearance with your flat tires. If not , stow them forward on the trailer. This simple procedure reduces the polar moment of inertia significantly , and will make for a safer , more stable tow.  Cars with side mounts needn't go through this , obviously.  Slow and easy , and it can not be overemphasized , check your ENTIRE lash-up and trailer hook up early on after load has had a chance to work a bit.  -  Good luck ,  - Carl

That flat body against the wind will collapse on the frame and leave you a pile of kindling wood with a little metal mixed in. Even 50 MPH would be hard on the body. Definitely hire a professional with an enclosed trailer. The first two words out of the U-Haul guy will be "I thought".  The wheels will just be incidental at that point.

Bernie

• Like 1