An interesting scam

Akstraw

In January, I posted a "parts wanted" message on one of the marque-specific boards in this forum.  A "David Kaplan" replied by PM in March, giving me an e-mail and phone number, and said he "for sure" can get the parts I needed.  I responded by e-mail with a detailed list, and got a prompt reply from him telling me he was parting out a car just like mine, and could provide everything I needed.  All I had to do was send a money gram for $750 and my ship-to address to him.  He even enclosed a number of photos of the car he was parting out.

The catch is, the photos he sent are of MY CAR!  They were the photos that the seller had posted to this forum last year when I bought the car.  Fortunately, no money has changed hands.  I thought I would share with others on this forum; just in case.

Andrew

• Like 2

We don't have a user " David Kaplan" currently. That name sounds vaguely familiar to me. t is possible that we have already banned the scammer. If he had another user name, please let me know so I can make sure that the scammer is banned. 

He has been banned.

Anyone who receives a scam PM can simply hit the report button on the PM and explain the problem to the Moderators and we can take care of it right away. 

On 4/16/2016 at 8:43 AM, Akstraw said:

In January, I posted a "parts wanted" message on one of the marque-specific boards in this forum.  A "David Kaplan" replied by PM in March, giving me an e-mail and phone number, and said he "for sure" can get the parts I needed.  I responded by e-mail with a detailed list, and got a prompt reply from him telling me he was parting out a car just like mine, and could provide everything I needed.  All I had to do was send a money gram for $750 and my ship-to address to him.  He even enclosed a number of photos of the car he was parting out.

The catch is, the photos he sent are of MY CAR!  They were the photos that the seller had posted to this forum last year when I bought the car.  Fortunately, no money has changed hands.  I thought I would share with others on this forum; just in case.

Andrew

Do hope you gave the FBI a heads up before you blew this guy off.

I had a similar thing happen a few years back.Different guy, but he did try to sell me my car (he sent me a photo of me in my Amphicar) and claimed it was him in the driver's seat!

I played him for about a month taking up as much of his time as I could. It ended with a long email tirade full of insults and threats. He did click on a link I provided that I said would take him to my PayPal account but in reality formatted his computer. I never heard another word from him.

On 4/16/2016 at 7:23 AM, R W Burgess said:

Always ask for a picture of say, "the carburator with model number" shown. Stops them right in their tracks!

Wayne

This will get them every time. It is exactly what I do. I am fairly aware of a few of the scammers out there and have seen others try to sell cars that belong to friends of mine.

On April 16, 2016 at 3:12 PM, MCHinson said:

We don't have a user " David Kaplan" currently. That name sounds vaguely familiar to me. t is possible that we have already banned the scammer. If he had another user name, please let me know so I can make sure that the scammer is banned. 

I'm probably wrong but wasn't David Kaplan the mistaken identity given to Cary Grant in the movie. "North by Northwest?", that's how the name rung my bell.  Larry W

Larry W.  I am embarrassed that I did not remember the name of the fellow Cary Grant was mistaken for.  North By Northwest is a favorite of mine.  I had to look it up.  Not uncommon for some one to plant a name in your mind and you can't get past it to the real name you are looking for.  It was George Caplan that Roger O Thornhill was mistaken for.  Of course Caplan didn't exist.

• Like 1

I think the same guy tried to get me...  I asked for a picture of the parts he had, he send me pictures of a Graham car I knew, not his!  Unfortunately some of us are not as cautious, so most likely he is still getting money from this scam, under a new name.

I was looking for a bumper for my 1933 Graham

16 hours ago, dons56 said:

Larry W.  I am embarrassed that I did not remember the name of the fellow Cary Grant was mistaken for.  North By Northwest is a favorite of mine.  I had to look it up.  Not uncommon for some one to plant a name in your mind and you can't get past it to the real name you are looking for.  It was George Caplan that Roger O Thornhill was mistaken for.  Of course Caplan didn't exist.

So it seems that David Kaplan is about as real as George Caplan!

• Like 1